The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Maintenance, Mods, & Tips (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   I went down on her again (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2602)

"Backyard Mechanic" 05-13-2007 03:06 PM

I went down on her again

Well I did it again,Lowered her some more.Check out the gap on the before and after pictures between the tires and the fender.She rides Sooooooooo smooth.I'm going to get new rear shocks soon,just for some more comfort.The rear can go down about 1 and half more inches.But I think she good for now.Hope you like.:thumbsup: :dancer01: :crazy03: I'll I need now are fuzzy dice and little balls inside the windshield:lmao:
http://thumbs.vidiac.com/eb852956-ce...2d00e4a689.jpgClick here to see Video

Rich Z 05-13-2007 05:20 PM

LOL!! Everytime I hear that song I am reminded of the Cheech & Chong movie "Up In Smoke".............. :thumbsup:

Mark Dalton 05-13-2007 05:22 PM

I like it. Cool tune and a cool ride.:thumbsup: Now you just need cheech to ride shotgun.:D

Ms. AntiVenom 05-14-2007 11:38 AM

that looks awesome, they are so much better looking lower!
cute video

FourG63 97GST 05-15-2007 07:02 PM

wow thats low, did u remove the front bushings?

chris308 05-15-2007 07:10 PM

Whoa!:thumbsup: That looks awesome!!

Man, i still haven't gotten around to do mine yet!! :banghead:

"Backyard Mechanic" 05-15-2007 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FourG63 97GST
wow thats low, did u remove the front bushings?

Bushing and front bolt completly removed,got longer bolts for the rear and down she came.She rides sooooooooo sweet now,takes corner on a dime or penny.:lmao: Which ever is better.I have to let her settle down and she is going even lower.Front skirts may have to come off,Will see.Any advice to anyone who will try this,If you buy the longer bolts for the rear,make sure you get washers for them,my set did not come with them,I went the hardware store and spent 2 $ on them.Best 2 bucks I ever spent.She also still drives straight as a arrow.no alightment needed.No squeks either.Thanks for all the great compliements.If anyone wants help doing it ,just let me know,pretty easy.:thumbsup:

chris308 05-15-2007 09:44 PM

question, the first set-up: did you just lower the front just with the bolts or did you cut the bushing also?

I think i just want to lower mine as far as the stock bolts go. I drive over speed bumps at work everyday and my driveway is already steep enough i scrape the front air dam. Any lower i would probably crack panels and such.

BTW, you may want to reconsider removing the front plastic air dam all together as it aides in directing air up into the radiator area for cooling. Some folks have seen their temps rise because of removing it. Just a heads up.maybe just trimming it will be better.

P.S.S- Agim, Oh my damn!! Your girl is Smohokin!!!

"Backyard Mechanic" 05-15-2007 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris308
question, the first set-up: did you just lower the front just with the bolts or did you cut the bushing also?

I think i just want to lower mine as far as the stock bolts go. I drive over speed bumps at work everyday and my driveway is already steep enough i scrape the front air dam. Any lower i would probably crack panels and such.

BTW, you may want to reconsider removing the front plastic air dam all together as it aides in directing air up into the radiator area for cooling. Some folks have seen their temps rise because of removing it. Just a heads up.maybe just trimming it will be better.

P.S.S- Agim, Oh my damn!! Your girl is Smohokin!!!

Yes,the first time I lowered her I just turned the front bolts,no cutting the bushing.And yes no more speed bumps.If I remove the front air dams I will get a lower ts and reprogram the fans.But I'm caution on certian roads and if there is a speed bump i just take it sideways. And I agree with your P.S.S.

9T8Vette 05-15-2007 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backyard Mechanic
Yes,the first time I lowered her I just turned the front bolts,no cutting the bushing.And yes no more speed bumps.If I remove the front air dams I will get a lower ts and reprogram the fans.But I'm caution on certian roads and if there is a speed bump i just take it sideways. And I agree with your P.S.S.

I would keep her just like you have it: lOOks Great thumbsup: I went all the way and you end up with a real hard ride and bumpy:crazy03: .i cut my bushings and used the long bolts in the rear.I ended up raising the car back up to stock height and puttin some huge wheels on my car to eat that wheel well gap:thumbsup: .

Kap142 05-16-2007 06:23 AM

Beautiful job Rob just beware of tall ants and discarded bottle caps on the roadway.

Ken:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

98 softtail 05-19-2007 08:46 PM

Low Rider

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kap142
Beautiful job Rob just beware of tall ants and discarded bottle caps on the roadway.

Ken:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rob, You are insane !!! I agree with Ken and be extra careful at crosswalks, we dont want you getting stuck on the paint lines.

Joe B.

Rich Z 05-19-2007 09:37 PM

Yeah, if you see any caterpillars in the road with a shaved streak down the center of their backs, you'll know he's been by recently... :lmao:

"Backyard Mechanic" 05-19-2007 09:45 PM

You are all going to laugh,but it went down again another 1" today.
The lowest point of the body sits 2 and half inches off the ground.
The front skirts sit 3/4 " off the ground,I'm the nieghbor street cleaner.:lmao:
That goodness the sit goes up and down,or I would never be able to get in or out of it.:lmao: I have 1 inch between the front tire and the front fenders and half a inch in the rear.Looks so sweet,Rides SUPER.

Rich Z 05-20-2007 12:24 AM

Maybe you should come visit me sometime. I live on a dirt (actually sandy) road, and I think your car would be just great to smooth out the road when we get that inevitable washboard effect. :hehehe:

3/4 inch? Heck, around here I would be scraping the darn thing everywhere. There would be darn few driveways or parking areas I could go into.

Wish I could lower mine, but just NO way. :nonod:

Z06 Rocket 05-20-2007 09:09 AM

How about posting a few new pics of it from the front, rear, and sides on a nice flat level bit of concrete? I would like to see that.

"Backyard Mechanic" 05-20-2007 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket
How about posting a few new pics of it from the front, rear, and sides on a nice flat level bit of concrete? I would like to see that.

Here she is lowered again,more pictureshttp://thumbs.vidiac.com/85c91fb9-03...340102b374.jpgClick here to see Video

"Backyard Mechanic" 05-23-2007 05:44 PM

Quote:

If it goes any lower,It wont even roll down the road.:lmao:

Z06 Rocket 06-11-2007 11:40 PM

Did you change your shocks? Or are your shocks still factory?

I lowered my Z06 and it seems to be bottomed out on the shocks from what I can tell. There is no apparent bounce any more to the spring in the front when I push on the fender.

Shadow 06-12-2007 08:41 AM

That's beautiful!:thumbsup:

Same shock question though?

"Backyard Mechanic" 06-12-2007 05:09 PM

Quote:

Did you change your shocks? Or are your shocks still factory?

I lowered my Z06 and it seems to be bottomed out on the shocks from what I can tell. There is no apparent bounce any more to the spring in the front when I push on the fender.

No I did'nt change the shocks,At first I had a BAD bounce,I figure out the the new longer bolt was going through the bushings.The bolts I had bought did not come with washers,So i went to the hardware store and 2 $ later the problem was fixed.The bounce almost went away,It got better but not quite gone,So I had to raise it a 1/4 inch higher and Presto,Bounce gone.The bounce only came from the back.I removed the front bolts and bushings.Never did have a problem with the bounce from the front end,drives straight as a arrow.Never did get a alighnment,even at highway speed I can let go of the wheel and she is fine.I suppose if you lower the back end to far down, the shocks will bottom out.I only have a bounce problem in the back end now when we load the car up with alot of rear weight.But I try not sit back there that often.:lmao: I will some day get better shocks,but for now there is no good reason to.I only have 20k miles on her.[2002]Hope that helped.My wife made me raise her up a inch last weekend.But when we bring her to shows,she going back down.It only takes me 3 mins.to do now.

Z06 Rocket 06-13-2007 12:38 PM

No, I'm referring to the front. Either my Z06 spring won't let it drop any more or the shock has bottomed out and stopping the front from going lower. I put a C6 lowering bolt in, which when held up next to the factory C5 bolt is like cutting the bushing off. When I installed the new bolt it didn't drop it any more even though the bolt was clearly shorter.

"Backyard Mechanic" 06-13-2007 06:50 PM

Quote:

No, I'm referring to the front. Either my Z06 spring won't let it drop any more or the shock has bottomed out and stopping the front from going lower. I put a C6 lowering bolt in, which when held up next to the factory C5 bolt is like cutting the bushing off. When I installed the new bolt it didn't drop it any more even though the bolt was clearly shorter.

Normally if your shocks "bottom out" the car should throw a code:shrug01: Have you looked under the car to see if "something" is blocking it from going down?Is there any stress on any tie rod ends or on the control arms?Just throwing out some ideas.It is hard to tell without seeing it.:shrug01: Look at the shocks and you should be able to see if the shocks are bottom out.If your not sure you could measure the shocks while they are on the car and then take them off the car and expand them fully and see if the expand more then they where on the car.

Z06 Rocket 06-18-2007 12:10 PM

Quote:

Normally if your shocks "bottom out" the car should throw a code:shrug01: Have you looked under the car to see if "something" is blocking it from going down?Is there any stress on any tie rod ends or on the control arms?Just throwing out some ideas.It is hard to tell without seeing it.:shrug01: Look at the shocks and you should be able to see if the shocks are bottom out.If your not sure you could measure the shocks while they are on the car and then take them off the car and expand them fully and see if the expand more then they where on the car.

Nope no codes thrown, but I should hit the memory button in the DIC to see if I missed it. Looking at some shorter shocks. Possibly the Z06 spring rate is stiffer than the C5 coupe spring.

vettejack 08-17-2007 01:49 PM

I wanna hear more about going down! :crazy03: :lmao:

"Backyard Mechanic" 08-17-2007 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nasajack
I wanna hear more about going down! :crazy03: :lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :dancer01: :dancer01:

Qman 08-17-2007 04:55 PM

looks good! can you drive it up on ramps like that?:D

"Backyard Mechanic" 08-17-2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qman
looks good! can you drive it up on ramps like that?:D

no ramps or speed bumbs.In order to jack the car up with my 3 1/2 ton floor jack,I have to drive up a 1" paver,then my jack goes under,3 pulls and she is off the ground.:thumbsup: large deep driveways are also a NO NO:thumbsdown: :ack2: :eek: :lmao: :lmao:

98 softtail 10-02-2007 11:32 PM

video

Quote:

Originally Posted by "Backyard Mechanic" (Post 22876)
Well I did it again,Lowered her some more.Check out the gap on the before and after pictures between the tires and the fender.She rides Sooooooooo smooth.I'm going to get new rear shocks soon,just for some more comfort.The rear can go down about 1 and half more inches.But I think she good for now.Hope you like.:thumbsup: :dancer01: :crazy03: I'll I need now are fuzzy dice and little balls inside the windshield:lmao:
http://thumbs.vidiac.com/eb852956-ce...2d00e4a689.jpgClick here to see Video

Rob, your video has been removed! Bummer.

Joe B.

Rich Z 10-03-2007 12:18 AM

Just a FYI, but you CAN upload videos to the photo gallery on this site....

"Backyard Mechanic" 10-03-2007 06:25 AM

Try this:

http://thumbs.streetfire.net/85c91fb...340102b374.jpglowered 2002 vette

Kap142 10-03-2007 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "Backyard Mechanic" (Post 28733)
no ramps or speed bumbs.In order to jack the car up with my 3 1/2 ton floor jack,I have to drive up a 1" paver,then my jack goes under,3 pulls and she is off the ground.:thumbsup: large deep driveways are also a NO NO:thumbsdown: :ack2: :eek: :lmao: :lmao:

Rob has got to look out for tall ants and crickets too:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Ken:lmao::lmao: