The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   CorvetteFlorida Feedback! (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Server move tonight or tomorrow (10/09 or 10/10/09)! (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36389)

Rich Z 10-02-2009 09:32 AM

Server move tonight or tomorrow (10/09 or 10/10/09)!

Just a heads up to everyone that there will be a server move within the next week or two. They are building my new one right now.

The hard drive space on my main server has been hitting 87 percent full lately, and it's just time to get fresh components anyway. Bigger, faster, and hopefully BETTER. The RAID 0 SAS 300gb drives should hold us for a while, and the 12gb of main RAM should help a lot.

Hopefully that will compensate for merging my two servers into one.

But of course these things are never painless.

I'll try to give you all as much notice as I can, but I'm up against a timeline to try to get this done before the bills are due on the two servers I am going to consolidate into the new one. Yeah, I've got to tighten the belt too these days.

navy2kcoupe 10-02-2009 09:55 AM

Hey Rich, what are you using for the new server?????
Andy

Rich Z 10-02-2009 11:02 AM

GA Dual Quad Core Nehalem Series
CPU: Dual 5520 Nehalem 2.26Ghz HT
RAM: 12GB ECC
Hard Drive Bay 1: 300 GB 15K SAS
Hard Drive Bay 2: 300 GB 15K SAS
Hard Drive Bay 3: 300 GB 15K SAS
Hard Drive Bay 4: 1000 GB SATAII
Operating System: CentOS
RAID: Hardware RAID 0 (Bays 2&3)
Control Panel: Cpanel/WHM + Fantastico
Bandwidth: 10000 GB Premium Transfer
Port Speed: 100Mbps
OS Type: 64bit

Ms. AntiVenom 10-02-2009 11:51 AM

What a pain. Your bringing me flashbacks from 6months ao when I had to do it:lmao:

navy2kcoupe 10-02-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 98384)
GA Dual Quad Core Nehalem Series
CPU: Dual 5520 Nehalem 2.26Ghz HT
RAM: 12GB ECC
Hard Drive Bay 1: 300 GB 15K SAS
Hard Drive Bay 2: 300 GB 15K SAS
Hard Drive Bay 3: 300 GB 15K SAS
Hard Drive Bay 4: 1000 GB SATAII
Operating System: CentOS
RAID: Hardware RAID 0 (Bays 2&3)
Control Panel: Cpanel/WHM + Fantastico
Bandwidth: 10000 GB Premium Transfer
Port Speed: 100Mbps
OS Type: 64bit

WOW! quite the machine! Are you gonna be the only one on the server?
That should make things a little quicker. Will this be a standalone (or single racked) server, or a blade chassis? In any case, it should be better than what you've got presently, and SHOULD be a whole lot better when the transfer is complete.
Andy :wavey:

Rich Z 10-02-2009 12:54 PM

This will be my dedicated leased server. But I am consolidating two servers together into this single box. My other server has a few rather high traffic sites on it, so I'm hoping the higher horsepower rating of the new box will mitigate the increased load in a single server.

We shall see, I guess....

navy2kcoupe 10-02-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 98390)
This will be my dedicated leased server. But I am consolidating two servers together into this single box. My other server has a few rather high traffic sites on it, so I'm hoping the higher horsepower rating of the new box will mitigate the increased load in a single server.

We shall see, I guess....

In the words of Gilda Radner (Roseann Roseannadanna)
"It's ALWAYS something"
Should be fun for a short period till it all gets straightened out.

THOR 10-05-2009 08:23 PM

Almost sounds like a weapon of mass destruction!! :lmao:

navy2kcoupe 10-05-2009 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THOR (Post 98551)
Almost sounds like a weapon of mass destruction!! :lmao:

It IS! To his wallet! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Rich Z 10-06-2009 01:33 AM

Sheesh... This is taking longer than I had expected, so now there is a real good chance I'm going to be paying both for the old servers AND the new server this month. Rats..... :nonod:

Rich Z 10-09-2009 08:23 PM

Got word from my server guy that the domain moves to the new server will take place either later today or early tomorrow. I'll be shutting down this site right before the database move needs to happen. Sorry, I won't have very much warning myself, so this is about as much warning as you are going to get about it.

Try to make any posts you make short and sweet so you don't lose them if I shut down the forum while you are composing your words.

Sorry, there is really no completely pleasant way to do this....

9T8Vette 10-09-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 98865)
Got word from my server guy that the domain moves to the new server will take place either later today or early tomorrow. I'll be shutting down this site right before the database move needs to happen. Sorry, I won't have very much warning myself, so this is about as much warning as you are going to get about it.

Try to make any posts you make short and sweet so you don't lose them if I shut down the forum while you are composing your words.

Sorry, there is really no completely pleasant way to do this....

Thanks RichZ for the update:thumbsup:

Shadow 10-10-2009 06:13 AM

:thumbsup:Good luck bro:thumbsup:

And thanks for everything you do for us to make this place better:thumbsup::thumbsup:

See ya on the other side:lmao:

Gordon

Rich Z 10-10-2009 08:25 PM

Sigh..... I'm not sure when this is going to take place now. Having some problems transferring my main sites on my other server over to the new server. Since the lease on that server comes up for renewal before this one does, my server guy is working on that one first. But a couple are BIG sites and they have always been a hassle to transfer. And every time I do a server move it gets worse because they are even bigger later on. Eventually I guess I won't be able to do server moves because the time it would take would be longer than it takes for the current hardware I'm using to go obsolete before the moves are done.

Not sure what the heck I will do then.

Anyway, I'm glad I hired a guy to do most of this crap for me. I used to do it all by myself and nearly became computercidal (the inclination to kill computers). I actually got close to feeling that way today when I couldn't reach my server guy for hours. :toetap05:

Anyway, when this site comes due, you'll simply see a message when you come here saying that it is locked down during the transfer. Or maybe not. Not enough traffic here for me to be really overly concerned with locking the database so nothing is lost in the transfer. I'll have to see when it takes place. Later on at night or early morning, not likely anyone would be posting anything anyway, and that would certainly streamline things by not having to go that extra step.

navy2kcoupe 10-10-2009 09:03 PM

Good luck with the move Rich. Thanks for the warning, and I hope it all pans out for the good on the other side.....:thumbsup:
Alrightie then.........3..........2........1.......
MOVE!
Followed immediately by ^$**# miserable $#*&# God&@*# piece of $H!t:lmao:
AHHHHHHHH......I can hear it now.......:rofl1:
<<--- You'll probably look like this before it's all done. :rofl1::rofl1:

Shadow 10-11-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe (Post 98918)
Alrightie then.........3..........2........1.......
MOVE!
Followed immediately by ^$**# miserable $#*&# God&@*# piece of $H!t:lmao:
AHHHHHHHH......I can hear it now.......:rofl1:
<<--- You'll probably look like this before it's all done. :rofl1::rofl1:

Andy,

I'm like that almost everyday...just trying to get my computer, file box, typewriter, boat anchor combination to function!:mad::lmao:

Z51-9 12-15-2009 09:17 PM

I'm just thinking ... what are you running on this system? More than just this board? Have you profiled it? What can you separate out? Are you using vBulletin for other sites too?

Furthermore, you don't always need to build'em huge, like this 8Px12G and with 15Krpm disks. You can fit a lot in 2.5" bays with 5400-7200rpm disks these days, and then just bump up your RAM to compensate the reduced spindle. There are 2.5"x9.5mm drives at 640GB (5400rpm) and 500GB (7200rpm), as well as 2.5"x12mm drives at 1TB (5400rpm). You can fit a nice 4Px8G with four (4) 2.5" drives in Mini-ITX/Micro-ATX these days, several systems for the same space as a single, larger system.

Also consider virtualizing. Since you run CentOS (a rebuild of my employer's Red Hat Enterprise Linux, of which we release all source code), consider Xen paravirtualization. Xen paravirtualization has so little overhead. And once you virtualize the instance, you can move it to new hardware without issue.

This is what I've done on Wall Street (15,000 servers) as well as at my current, large Federal client outside of DC (with peta-bytes of data).

Rich Z 12-16-2009 01:34 AM

That move never did take place. The server move of my main server was such a drain that I just didn't have the willpower to tackle another one. Got to happen, though, as this site isn't bringing in enough money to pay for a server. I've just got this site, CorvetteInternational, and a few utility sites on this one server. None of which are able to pay the bills.

This will probably take place sometime in the next month. Since I retired my business, I've really got to watch these monthly recurring expenses.