• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

For the LEO's: What happens when you make an error writing a ticket?

Depends on the error?

In most courts if the error is not material to the charge, the judge will consider it a scribners error and either ignore it or allow the state (officer) an opportunity to ammend the citation.

IF it's a material error then you have grounds to contest the charge.

After reading the link, I'd say it depends on the court. Some jurisdictions are more strict on thier officers than others. My experience is obviously here in Florida.

I'd make the call to the DA/SAO (?) and ask. Can't hurt. Also check to see if there's reciprosity between Ky & NJ? If not, just don't go back to Ky :hehehe: If there is, then he'll need to do something.

Directions are relative. Did you know that I-4 goes North? Although you may be headed on a compass heading of lets say south, the road for court purposes my actually run east of west. Confused yet?

Anyway, I'd either run it by the prosecutors office up there (remember, they represent the state, not the violator) or a local traffic attorney in the area where he received the citation.

If all else fails, some states attorney's *(DA's) will allow you to plead to a lesser charge, mail in the fine and keep the violation off ther record. There's always traffic school to keep the insurance whores at bay:hehehe:

Shadow said:
Directions are relative. Did you know that I-4 goes North? Although you may be headed on a compass heading of lets say south, the road for court purposes my actually run east of west. Confused yet?

Gordon,

I understand that I-4 goes north, but technically speaking it is I-4 East or I-4 West. Whatever the Federal agency is that handles Highways says an even number highway runs east/west and an odd number runs north/south. Couldn't you use that argument?

You know what got me for the longest time until they finally changed the signs? Traveling on I-275 toward Dale Mabry, the signs only read 92 East and 92 West. Um, Dale Mabry runs North/South. I don't know of it ever running east/west. I noticed the signs now read 92 East/West (Northbound or Southbound). Must have confused a lot of people.

Scott

MADN3SS said:
Gordon,

I understand that I-4 goes north, but technically speaking it is I-4 East or I-4 West. Whatever the Federal agency is that handles Highways says an even number highway runs east/west and an odd number runs north/south. Couldn't you use that argument?

Nope

You know what got me for the longest time until they finally changed the signs? Traveling on I-275 toward Dale Mabry, the signs only read 92 East and 92 West. Um, Dale Mabry runs North/South. I don't know of it ever running east/west. I noticed the signs now read 92 East/West (Northbound or Southbound). Must have confused a lot of people.

Scott

Sure did.

I'd say the year of the car is no biggie. Errors happen, and alot of cars look similiar from year to year especially if they aren't fanatics about them like us.

The direction thing could be like Shadow said. Another example is northbound and southbound I-275 at the Howard Franklin (Ol' Frankenstein) bridge. The compass would say you are crossing the bay at an east or west direction, but they oficially consider it north or southbound. The reason is that almost all of the road as it goes through Hillsborough into Pinellas and on into Manatee County is north and south. The only exception is the jog over the bay. To change the format used to explain the direction would be VERY confusing.

Ultimately if the officer amends it it would be ok in most jurisdictions. The important info is the drivers name, car tag, and whatever was used to make the clock (ie radar, laser. speedo information). One major no no would be to use the ticket printers in alot of police cars now adays and print out a ticket for the registerd owner of the car when it wasnt the registered owner driving. FHP has the printers, and some other agencys do too.

Kentucky is a weird state. I got a ticket at 2:30AM in a rental Kia in 1999. That car you couldn't give the gerbils enough heroin to get the car over 70. It was on 75 heading north and when I got pulled he took my license and rental agreement and came back within 2 minutes. You could tell that he wrote the speed, statute, location and just about everything else before hand and then in different ink color was my DL and info. Called the clerk and mailed in the payment. Never saw out on the MVR till 3 years later. And it was a 79/55 :eek: Yeah right in a Kia :rofl1:

I was told that Kentucky wouldn't report it to Florida or your home state and that was confirmed by the clerk at that time. But it showed up, took some time but it did.

I do know in my other state I consider a part time home in Georgia that they don't report to Florida any violations unless you don't pay them I had 5 in a 3 month period and I just paid them and haven't seen em on the MVR.

I65 They need to put the ticket dollars to better use. That interstate flat sucks to drive a corvette or any car on. And anyone ever notice the genius move of putting a barricade down the entire length of interstate 2 miles north of Exit 22 to just about 3 miles north of TN in the SB lanes? I found out the hard way making a 40 mile round trip just to get to BG. :banghead: :thumbsdown:

86DSOMVERT said:
I65 They need to put the ticket dollars to better use. That interstate flat sucks to drive a corvette or any car on. And anyone ever notice the genius move of putting a barricade down the entire length of interstate 2 miles north of Exit 22 to just about 3 miles north of TN in the SB lanes? I found out the hard way making a 40 mile round trip just to get to BG. :banghead: :thumbsdown:

Don't get me started on this! We were coming back from the NCM and going back to exit 22 and there were signs (the big orange ones where you can change the message), but they were not on. I ended up in the left lane when it split. Damn :2232censored: barricade! The first exit after the barricade ended, was exit 6. I was just flaming mad! It was absolutely ridiculous. They should have better warning, and a break in the wall so you can get over.

:rant: over.

Not laughing at you but for you. Welcome to Bowling Green :lmao: I think those DOT workers go "look at those silly tourists" don't they know anything?

I had a long talk with the Chamber of Commerce about that very thing cause I was madder than hell about it. They claim they have nothing to do with it that it's the Kentucky DOT but who would have tunk it a barricade in the middle of a 17 mile stretch of interstate. Sounds like the same brainiacs that work on I4 and 275 in Tampa.

MADN3SS said:
Don't get me started on this! We were coming back from the NCM and going back to exit 22 and there were signs (the big orange ones where you can change the message), but they were not on. I ended up in the left lane when it split. Damn :2232censored: barricade! The first exit after the barricade ended, was exit 6. I was just flaming mad! It was absolutely ridiculous. They should have better warning, and a break in the wall so you can get over.

:rant: over.

This "caught " me as well a couple weeks ago. I have never seen a more moronic setup. There are small signs that "unclearly" tell you to get over for exit 22, but who would figure that you HAD to get over NOW or go 40 miles out of your way.

I though it was strange coming into Bowling Green seeing several people turning around on the highway via the median "cop turning" lanes. You rarely see this on most roads. I figured out why after getting stuck with this stupid NO EXIT - EXIT.

Gee, thanks for the warning guys. I'm heading up there for the Labor Day event. I'll be sure to pay attention when driving back to exit 22.

Having experience working with our local DOT I can assure your that if enough people call in, they will rectify matter. Last thing those folks want on their hands is a bad accident and ensuing litigation.

It depends upon the judge or magistrate... When I was a young officer in North Myrtle Beach SC, the procedure then was to assign our own court date on the citation. The rule was we had to be on duty for court and the date had to be at least 11 days from the citation issue date.

I assigned a date that was on the weekend. I realized the error, lined it out on the citation and inserted the correct date. The magistrate dismissed the citation, citing the court date error and correction as the reason. :shrug01:

Here in Miami-Dade, officers may amend the citation pretty much right up until the citation comes up for trial.

Back