The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Paint & Body Work Forum (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   [C5] Caliper paint? (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75186)

Kap142 04-22-2012 04:43 PM

Caliper paint?

I am considering painting my calipers Electron Blue. My question is does the paint need to be a high temp paint? There are paints available for calipers but I really don't want what appears to be the norm as available.

I have sent an email to Automotive Touch Up with the same question. I am curious to know who has painted theirs (themselves) and what heat range paint they have used and what have the results been?

I mean as long as I am going to go to slotted and drilled rotors I think it's paint time.

Please feel free to jump in and let me know what "ya'll" know.

Rich Z 04-22-2012 04:53 PM

Yeah, the calipers can get pretty darn hot, so you will need to use a high temp paint. If you can get them powder coated, that might be a better route to take. But I think in both cases, the coatings have to be cured with a particular process of heating and then cooling between stages to make them durable.

Kap142 04-22-2012 07:44 PM

I suspect you are totally correct. I know from years of watching NASCAR that they can get their calipers glowing cherry red which equals a whole lotta heat. I guess it's just that everybody has red calipers and I'm me.

I wonder what Automotive Touchup will have to offer?:shrug01:

Rich Z 04-22-2012 08:23 PM

Any of the automotive parts chain stores will have high temperature paint in rattle cans. Some are rated up to 2,000 degrees. Matter of fact, some of the cans are even marked as being caliper paint. I don't know how well they will hold up, but I've been using it on some exhaust parts and brake parts on the blue car. Looks real pretty now, but it's still a "lift queen". :shrug01:

The calipers will likely have a lot of brake dust crud on them and will need to be cleaned thoroughly. I've seen some places selling caliper sets that are already powder coated, but don't recall seeing blue ones. You might want to check around and see if someone already has them done up and will take your old ones as cores.

Pres712 04-23-2012 06:25 AM

I've been painting calipers since my first '67 and I have autocrossed that, my '69 and '86. The only thing I used was Rustoleum. I masked off the parts I didn't want painted, cleaned them with brake cleaner and wire brush. Two coats and a final with clear. When done use a sanding block on the letters and the paint will come off nicely. I painted my '03 when I bought it in '06 and they still look good. Lowe's has a blue that is almost a match for the Electron Blue. Good luck!!

Kap142 04-23-2012 07:57 AM

Awesome Jim, that's exactly the type of info I need. Off to Lowe's shortly to see what shades of blue Rustoleum they have.

Thanks much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pres712 (Post 156314)
I've been painting calipers since my first '67 and I have autocrossed that, my '69 and '86. The only thing I used was Rustoleum. I masked off the parts I didn't want painted, cleaned them with brake cleaner and wire brush. Two coats and a final with clear. When done use a sanding block on the letters and the paint will come off nicely. I painted my '03 when I bought it in '06 and they still look good. Lowe's has a blue that is almost a match for the Electron Blue. Good luck!!

Pres712 04-23-2012 08:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kap142 (Post 156318)
Awesome Jim, that's exactly the type of info I need. Off to Lowe's shortly to see what shades of blue Rustoleum they have.

Thanks much.

Here's a pic for you.... Also notice that Goodyear is at the top, valve stem on the bottom and crossed flags are horizontal!!!

Pres712 04-23-2012 08:12 AM

Actuall, the blue doesn't look that shade. It really comes close to the Electron Blue when viewed live.

Kap142 04-23-2012 08:43 AM

Nice, Star has you do some good work. I took my touch up pen with me as a color reference and found the nearest match you could ask for, If I didn't know better I'd say it was Electron Blue.

Now just waiting for my new rotors and pads.

Kap142 04-24-2012 09:49 AM

Jim did you do the caliper brackets too?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pres712 (Post 156319)
Here's a pic for you.... Also notice that Goodyear is at the top, valve stem on the bottom and crossed flags are horizontal!!!