The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   General BS forum (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Computer Upgrade (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9781)

98 softtail 12-02-2007 02:44 AM

Computer Upgrade

OK , this is an opportunity for all those "techno", "technoids", or "puter people", or members of the "Nerd Herd", to show your stuff.

I am going to upgrade my computer, the rig I am looking at is as follows....

Acer Aspire
AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core processor

2mb L2 cache
3GB DDR2 ram, upgradable to 8GB
500GB SATA 7200 HD
DVD RW+/-
ATI Raedon X1250 video
Gig/Lan, 10/100/1000...
Vista Home Premium, (gonna give it a try), XP is my plan "B"

Plus all the usual connections....
8 USB 2.0
Firewire
6 audio
PCI 1x, PCI 16x, PCI v2.3
etc...etc...

So here are my thoughts, ...
I know that to have any decent graphics I am going to have to go with a graphics card such as nVidia, no problem.

Any thoughts on the desktop in general?

Let me know.....

Joe B.

C5Rick 12-02-2007 07:10 AM

I don't know much about Acer
No floppy drive :lmao:
I wouldn't worry to much about the video card unless you are into gaming or run a lot of graphics programs.
Maybe look into a TV tuner that works similar to Tivo so you can save or record tv programs and put them on a disc.
If you copy a lot of DVD's and/or CD's , maybe dual optical drives.

Go to techbargains, Dell usually post some good deals available through the site. Usually on Weds.
http://www.techbargains.com/

Rich Z 12-02-2007 10:40 AM

The only time I hear anyone mention Vista is when it is prefixed with a term like "damn"........ :rolleyes:

SteveK 12-02-2007 12:34 PM

3GB DDR2 ram, upgradable to 8GB - I would max it out for Vista
500GB SATA 7200 HD - 500GB!!! Save some $$'s and spend it on RAM, 160 to 200 is plenty
DVD RW+/- - As mentioned a second drive is great for making copies
ATI Raedon X1250 video - Good enough, unless you are into games
Vista Home Premium, (gonna give it a try), XP is my plan "B" - I have Vista on my notebook, it is memory hungury... max your RAM

98 softtail 12-02-2007 03:09 PM

This is the setup the way it comes, Yes 500gb is huge, I plan on adding another DVD/CD burner, and a graphics card. Memory is cheap so I will probably bump that up too.

Anyway, thanks for your input/output..:rofl1:

Joe B.

davidguetta402 01-22-2019 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98 softtail (Post 43293)
This is the setup the way it comes, Yes 500gb is huge, I plan on adding another DVD/CD burner, and a graphics card. Memory is cheap so I will probably bump that up too.

Joe B.

500GB Is Huge, But It's Depend On How Much Data You Have. 500GB It's not Enough For Me :crazy03:

RichardDixon 11-03-2020 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faviwguetta412 (Post 206170)
500GB Is Huge, This indepth article about testogen But It's Depend On How Much Data You Have. 500GB It's not Enough For Me :crazy03:

Yes, you can hire a person to build your computer with parts you have acquired. ... If you are concerned with finding someone to assemble (and get it running) your computer, ask your nearest small, local computer shop.

StephenHotchkiss 05-10-2021 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 918 softtail (Post 431293)

Joe B.

Hard disk drives or HDDs are traditional storage devices for personal computers. You can find them in the vast majority of notebooks, especially inexpensive ones. They are based on rotating magnetic platters and reading heads. HDDs are the slowest kind of storage in modern PCs.