The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Maintenance, Mods, & Tips (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Brake Fluid Question (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384)

Charlie882 06-22-2006 08:10 PM

Brake Fluid Question

Reading up on some of the other well known Corvette Forums there has been a lot of talk about chaning your manual clutch fluid every so often. So I have been changing my clutch fluid over the past two weeks trying to get it clearer.

While I was out there the other day, I peaked inside the brake fluid resevoir and noticed that the DOT 3 fluid in there was kind of dark. Do you know if I should be changing the fluid in there often? I currently have 23,000 miles on the car and as far as I know (I am the second owner at 11K Miles) the brake fluid has never been changed. If I change it, should I follow the same procedure as the clutch fluid by using a syringe to drain the fluid and then replacing it with an equal amount of DOT 3 fluid?

Like you guys and gals, I love my baby and have started to do some of the maintenance on it, so I am new to all of this. Any opinions/comments would be appreciated! :shrug01:

FourG63 97GST 06-22-2006 09:29 PM

for the brakes, I'll bleed all for corners. the fluid has along way to travel but finally getting to the calipers. the "turkey baster" method is very inefficient

exile 06-22-2006 11:22 PM

Yep, I'd change all the fluids for sure. I had mine done at 11,000 miles and the brake, clutch, and power steering fluids were all showing signs of age. Changing fluids is a good thing and new, clear fluids is a must for me. I'm guessing 10,000 miles is a given for these. I go about 5,000 on motor oil and filters. I have also changed the tranny and rear end fluids to Royal Purple Syn. and gotten much improved shifting on the Z. Have fun:D ............Tom

Charlie882 06-22-2006 11:34 PM

Well it sounds like I am definitely due for some fluid changes. I know I am planning on getting the oil changed in two to three weeks. I was also going to have the tranny fluid changed because I have heard it helps shifting. I typically go to a Chevy Dealership for service work. I have been thinking about getting some jack stands, ramps, etc. and doing some of the basic maintenance work myself.
Do you know if the dealerships will put in a different type of tranny fluid (Royal Purple) if asked or do they stick to the stock GM fluid?

Thanks in Advance,
Charlie :wavey:

exile 06-22-2006 11:55 PM

Order or purchase whatever you want to use. I have heard good things about the new Mobil Syn. tranny fluid, but can't say first hand. I ordered Royal Purple on the web. I really like the change. Carquest carries Amsoil products and that would be a good choice. I think if you go to your dealership with whatever you want to use, they will use that to service your vette. Good luck with your choice...............Tom :)

Rich Z 06-23-2006 12:06 AM

Hmm, good thread. I guess next time the oil change is due in my Z I should just go ahead and tell the dealer to change ALL fluids. It's got over 60K miles on it and I have no idea what the previous owner may have done. Better to assume the worst, I guess, rather then assume the best. From what I have seen of Champion Chevrolet in Tallahassee, if I bring my own fluids, they won't complain at all about using them for my vehicle. Just had the oil changed not that long ago, so I may be a couple of months.

Heck, I just remembered.... I didn't reset the oil life indicator last time... :banghead:

pewter99 06-23-2006 01:56 AM

The brake fluid change is a breeze if you buy and install speed bleeders...you need about 1qt of brake fluid maybe a an extra pint to be safe to flush the whole system...