The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Competitions and Racing Forum (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Track Talk (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28487)

WARHORSE 03-25-2009 09:56 AM

Track Talk

I'd like to make this a thread where we can talk about our track days and ask questions so I guess I'll go first

I'm mostly running PBIR and Homestead these days, dont get to Sebring too often

I was at Moroso and I was talking to Bruce McGinnis who used to be the chief instructor at Skip Barber. He told me the fastest way to take the big corner that leads onto the front straight is to stay in the middle on the way in then take the car to the outer edge, try to get it to rotate then power out

MRS. XTREME 03-25-2009 10:01 AM

Good idea for this thread..:thumbsup:

There is not a whole lot of track guys here , but people still like to talk about it

Now just to clarify what is your question? I am assuming you were wanting to know what everyone else thought about what Skip said?

LS2POWA 03-25-2009 01:47 PM

I dont have personal experience on tracks(yet), but I do on streets an if it matters a lot on car simulators(mainly forza 2) lol. Forza 2 is no joke, there's a thread on corvette forum of people comparing their real times to game times only being fractions to a second or two off, using same setup car.

Just from street driving, and it applies in the game...if you split a lane into 4 sections(left to right being 1,2,3,4), when coming up to the turn youll want to stick to the outside 1,2 lane..can also ride it 50/50. As your coming to the actually turn you'll move over to the inside 3,4 lanes(if you're engine braking, means you've found the ideal speed to take the corner without actually slowing your momentum) you can also ride curb if you're good enough heh, as you come out of the turn that's when you'll power out.

Heres a good exmaple. This is part of Road Atlanta track, you can see the "driver line". Coming from the outside then going into the inside..then powerig it out to the outside then back into the inside.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...anta_esses.JPG

WARHORSE 03-25-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRS. XTREME (Post 86081)
Now just to clarify what is your question? I am assuming you were wanting to know what everyone else thought about what Skip said?

Actually I want to start a thread where people can discuss tracks, corners, lines, and the fastest way around the different tracks

MRS. XTREME 03-25-2009 09:15 PM

Oh OK I was confused...sorry ....

I was looking for a question....oops

WARHORSE 03-25-2009 09:44 PM

So is your car a real C5R converted to road use ? Pretty wild

I have a C3R but its full race

MRS. XTREME 03-25-2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WARHORSE (Post 86130)
So is your car a real C5R converted to road use ? Pretty wild

I have a C3R but its full race

Oh no its a real race car it is # 5 of the 20 C5R kit cars.

WARHORSE 03-25-2009 11:00 PM

sorry, but what is a C5R kit car ?

MRS. XTREME 03-25-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WARHORSE (Post 86135)
sorry, but what is a C5R kit car ?

Its ok...

GM pulled 20 VIN #'s off the assembly line and desiganted them the "R" for race car and the kits were only available to pro race teams such as
"Pratt and Miller corvettes that run the ALMS series" and the other teams that run the Motorola cup and Speed world challenge.

You basically got the frame, drivetrain and everything else was deleted. If I am not mistaken back in 01 the kit cost $25k just for those pieces. The rest was hand built.

MRS. XTREME 03-25-2009 11:44 PM

As far as a line goes a lot of the times its very car specific a Vette line would not be the same line as a Porsche or BMW because of difference in weight, wheel base, track width and many other variables.

What seperates a great driver from a good driver is his ability to move his line around on the track and fine the line that works best for his car....data acquisition is a valuable tool in a road racing car cuz your able to disect your laps into segments, find the fastest way through each segment and put together that "magic lap"