The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Z06Fever! (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Broke my cherry (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2545)

sglfladad 05-03-2007 11:33 PM

Broke my cherry

Well, it's been a dozen years or so since I had a manual shift car. Got my 01 Z a week ago. Took it to the track today! First time ever at a strip and driving. What a blast! Wish I could drive like that all the time.

1st run - 13.465
2nd, 3rd runs, I forgot to turn active handling off and was more aggressive, so active handling kicked in and slowed me down.

4th run, missed a gear.

But had a great time either way!

Rich Z 05-03-2007 11:48 PM

I thought the ticket was to put it in competitive mode, which is active handling ON and traction control OFF? Active handling really should only kick in when you begin losing control of the car and start going sideways. Traction control is what detunes the engine an squelches power when the rear wheels break loose from the pavement. :shrug01:

sglfladad 05-04-2007 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z
I thought the ticket was to put it in competitive mode, which is active handling ON and traction control OFF? Active handling really should only kick in when you begin losing control of the car and start going sideways. Traction control is what detunes the engine an squelches power when the rear wheels break loose from the pavement. :shrug01:

Yes, you're probably correct. I'm a newbie to this car and the strip. Forgot all about competitive mode. I must have been traction control that kicked in, since I was always in a straight line.. :) Thanks for the clarification.

Shadow 05-04-2007 07:41 AM

Sounds like a great time regardless:):dancer01:

Rebekah7155 05-04-2007 09:06 AM

My Dad made me learn to drive a stick before he would let me drive an automatic. Thank Goodness! My first car was a stick but since then I have only driven a stick on occasion in a rental or someone else's car.
Our girl is a stick and so much fun to work through the gears.

sglfladad 05-04-2007 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebekah7155
My Dad made me learn to drive a stick before he would let me drive an automatic.

Kudos to your Dad! I think everyone should learn to drive a manual shift. I intend to do the same for my sons. Except, I don't know if I want them to learn in the Z!

Even if never driving one again, it helps to have a basic understanding of what's going on.

If I want to drive an automatic, I have an SUV. heee heee :)

Nytro 05-04-2007 06:24 PM

Rich is absolutely correct about the competative mode, thats the mode you should be in to race in a straight line. I absolutely believe you never want to shut off the active handling ever, as once these cars get out of control sideways there is a very good possibility that you will not regain control. You should read the owners manual thououghly as far as the active handling and different modes go. It can happen real fast. A couple of years ago at Z06 fest one of the members there crashed his Z06 at Beech Bend. Did quite a bit of damage, and I don't believe insurance will pay. It's your car but you should not take the active handling for granted, it really works.

FourG63 97GST 05-07-2007 06:34 AM

congrats, get some more seat time in and watch your 1/4 time go down :thumbsup:

sglfladad 05-09-2007 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nytro
Rich is absolutely correct about the competative mode, thats the mode you should be in to race in a straight line. It's your car but you should not take the active handling for granted, it really works.

I don't and I won't. Now that I've been chastised .. here's a vid of the "kill".

Don't know what I killed, but a kill is a kill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIdjz8xc9Ow

9T8Vette 05-09-2007 09:02 PM

First off Congrats on the new Z06. 2nd i have to give you a :thumbsup: for takin your baby to the track and only having her for a week :D