The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   General BS forum (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   No more Bill Heard (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20584)

jakesindy 09-24-2008 04:21 PM

No more Bill Heard

Bill Heard Enterprises Folding Dealerships Nationwide
ADVERTISEMENT

TBO.com

Published: September 24, 2008

One of the nation's largest car dealerships has closed sales operations, possibly forever.

Bill Heard Enterprises Inc., which operates the Bill Heard Chevrolet dealership in Plant City, closed its sales operation there this week, said Paul Baker, executive manager of the dealership.

"It's a shame," Baker said, adding that he thought the era of gigantic dealerships is over. The dealership traces its roots to 1919, just 11 years after Henry Ford first produced the Model T automobile.

Baker declined to elaborate on reasons for the closing, other than to cite financial pressures. He said he doubted the operation would operate under new ownership. "Nobody has the guts to have a big dealership anymore," he said.

The dealership will "take care of any customer's car and live up to any obligations we have as far as sales," he said, "but we closed the sales operation."

Based in Columbus, Ga., Bill Heard Enterprises Inc. operates 13 dealerships nationwide. They all will close, Baker said.

vett boy 09-24-2008 07:55 PM

I thought it was intreasting that when I went by some of their dealerships they we're spacing the cars.Like 6-8 feet between cars.

fletcher4u 09-25-2008 05:34 AM

It's a sure sign of the times!!!!

Coastal 09-25-2008 12:48 PM

Lets bail them out. ;)

vett boy 09-25-2008 09:36 PM

So what is GM going to do with all those Corvettes ?

Scully 09-26-2008 03:45 PM

good question what are they going to do with them

ChuckG 09-29-2008 07:48 PM

Rumor has it that there were MANY issues with Bill Heard's dealership empire.

Issues with the Better Business Bureau in many states, issues with the Attorneys General in many states, etc.

SO....I wouldn't put the collapse of his empire completely on the current economic situation.

I think LOTS of items will be coming out in the near future.

Chuck

ChuckG 09-29-2008 07:58 PM

Here's the blurb from Automotive News.

Wonder why GMAC cancelled their floorplan? Hmmm. Not paying?

Scottsdale, AZ., Sept. 24, 2008 - According to Automotive News' Chrissie Thompson, Bill Heard Enterprises, the country's top Chevrolet dealer group, is closing the doors at all of its 13 dealerships at the end of business today, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

The company notified the stores' general managers at 2 p.m. today, the source said, who spoke anonymously because he was not authorized to speak.

High fuel prices, cancelled floorplanning from GMAC Financial Services, a reliance on trucks and SUVs, a soft national economy and struggles in local markets had troubled the company, which on Sept. 12 closed its store in Scottsdale, Ariz.

In the end, the company could not raise operating capital and could not finance its floorplan, the source said. Company officials have discussed closing the company since Friday, the source said.

Bill Heard Enterprises, of Columbus, Ga., ranks No. 13 on the Automotive News list of the top 125 U.S. dealership groups, with 2007 group revenue of $2.13 billion.

ynkedad 10-04-2008 09:00 AM

In the news...

Now there's an issue with the Bill Heard dealerships NOT paying off recent trade-ins :nonod:. So, people who've bought cars recently could possibly be stuck with TWO car payments.:eek:

Ms. AntiVenom 10-04-2008 09:41 AM

I have heard that they have done quite a few bad things to people and have ALLOT of lawsuits filed against them. and I believe the state of Georgia is suing them also. and one lady for kidnapping and unlawful imprisonment.
Those are just the few things I read online and in the papers

Our friend got his ZR1 through them, and almost couldn't retrieve it even after he visited the museum to see it built. I believe Ferman helped things go as scheduled for him.