The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Corvette Discussions (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Strong gas smell (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114804)

Rich Z 11-06-2018 03:30 PM

So the new gas cap didn't help any?

CHASZ51 11-06-2018 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 205607)
So the new gas cap didn't help any?

No. It is a known problem with the tanks and a $2k job at a dealer. So it stays as is then when the fuel pump goes one day i will get it taken care of and kill two birds with one stone.

Rich Z 11-06-2018 11:12 PM

The recall didn't apply to your car?

CHASZ51 11-07-2018 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 205613)
The recall didn't apply to your car?

Don't know of any recall.

Rich Z 11-07-2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHASZ51 (Post 205617)
Don't know of any recall.

I thought Robert mentioned one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrr23 (Post 205593)
there was a recall about the gas tanks cracking at where the fuel pump goes into the tank up top.

CHASZ51 11-07-2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 205622)
I thought Robert mentioned one.

Maybe that was the C5. If you put in gas smell from C6 and do a search a ton of stuff comes up and it is a 2 to $4000 job. The whole car has to come part. Just no way i am doing that. Maybe it will burst in flames and i can get out the easy way. So i will drive it till it won't go anymore. The newer C7 are even worse with the A8 trans and T/C. So no way i would touch one of them.

Rich Z 11-07-2018 11:14 PM

Well, I certainly hope the fuel pumps are robust and reliable, since I guess the labor bill would be about the same for that job. :ack2:

CHASZ51 11-08-2018 06:01 AM

What would be bad is getting the tanks fixed and then spending another 2k+ to have a fuel pump go bad later down the road. I will take it to a dealer Fri and see what they say on any recalls. Looks like the C7 also has gas tank problems.

Maybe i should just trade it in now and get a Mustang again. Or just drive the wheels off until it can't go anymore.

Rich Z 11-08-2018 10:54 AM

Perhaps using offshore made parts in American cars is catching up to American car manufacturers. Of course, as long as the service departments at the dealerships remain a profitable section of their business model, they really don't have much incentive to make these things super reliable.

One good thing about the Jeep Wrangler we bought, they offered a lifetime warranty for a relatively reasonable cost. Which I bought, of course.

But I guess car manufacturers really don't want to give their customers incentives to hold onto their vehicles for a long time, thinking they WANT people to keep on coming back buying new vehicles as replacements to the failing older model. And of course they keep on raising the prices of the new vehicles, which is pricing them out of the market of the average buyer.

Buying a car designed to only last for three years, yet paying off the loan you needed in order to be able to afford it in 7 years or more is a recipe for a real headache.

Too bad about the C7's problems. I read that the C7 Z06 has problems with engine overheating. I'm guessing it's not all of them, but who the heck wants to roll the dice on an expense like that? Not this old retired guy, that's for certain.

85vette 11-08-2018 05:20 PM

Few people hold on to their vehicles more than three years these days. That's why the lifetime warranty works for the parts houses and the dealers. It's a numbers game.