The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   General BS forum (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Storm in the Gulf! (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296)

exile 06-10-2006 08:02 PM

Storm in the Gulf!

2 Attachment(s)
Looks like it's starting early folks. Their tracking a storm out in the gulf with a projected path coming into the gulf coast Monday/Monday night. Here we go...........

86DSOMVERT 06-10-2006 08:09 PM

Joy Joy and I haven't even gone and picked up my plywood yet.

And here it looks like the projected path shows it coming in by Cedar Key which is a definite no-no for us. Let's just hope it blows itself out before it reaches land.

2Vettes 06-10-2006 08:15 PM

Let the waiting games begin....

Rich Z 06-10-2006 08:17 PM

Aw man........ :nonod:

MADN3SS 06-11-2006 09:34 AM

Wind shear is supposed to keep it from developing.

From the weather channel.
Tropical Depression One remains poorly organized this morning with its center of circulation located in the southeastern Gulf of Mexico. Upper-level winds continue to keep the depression from organizing further. The bulk of the torrential rainfall remains east of the center (due to the upper-level winds), soaking many residents across western Cuba. Portions of western Cuba may pick up as much as 10 to 30 inches of rain by Monday. Deadly flash flooding and mudslides are possible. Some of the rain on the eastern fringe of the system has already moved into the Florida Keys and extreme southern Florida. If the depression remains weak, as now seems likely, the low level winds will steer it westward into the central Gulf. If it strengthens, it will track more northward in the eastern Gulf before westerly winds aloft guide it into northern Florida late Monday or early Tuesday. In either case, expect soaking rains over portions of southern Florida the next couple of days.

1955 BelAir 06-11-2006 09:41 AM

We could use a good soaking rain here in Brandon .. just don't need the high winds.

86DSOMVERT 06-11-2006 10:39 AM

Issued at: 9:33 AM CDT 6/11/06 (gateway).

Depression becomes first named storm of the 2006 season,

Interests in the eastern gulf of mexico should monitor the progress of this system.

For storm information specific to your area, including possible inland watches and warnings, please monitor products issued by your local weather office.

Reports from an air force reserve unit hurricane hunter aircraft indicate that tropical depression one has strengthened into a tropical storm.

At 1000 am cdt, 1500z, the center of tropical storm alberto was located near latitude 23.9 north, longitude 88.1 west or about 400 miles, 645 km, west of key west Florida and about 445 miles, 715 km, south-southwest of apalachicola Florida.

Alberto is moving toward the northwest near 9 mph, 15 km/hr, and a turn toward the north and northeast is expected during the next 24 hours.

Maximum sustained winds are near 45 mph, 75 km/hr, with higher gusts. Some slight strengthening is possible during the next 24 hours.

Tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 175 miles, 280 km to the east of the center.

The air force aircraft recently reported a minimum central pressure of 1004 mb, 29.65 inches.

Alberto is expected to produce total rainfall accumulations of 10 to 20 inches over the western half of cuba, with isolated totals of 30 inches over the higher terrain. These rains could produce life-threatening flash floods and mud slides. Rainfall amounts of 4 to 8 inches are possible over the Florida keys and the Florida peninsula through Monday.

Repeating the 1000 am cdt position, 23.9 n, 88.1 w. Movement toward, northwest near 9 mph. Maximum sustained winds, 45 mph. Minimum central pressure, 1004 mb.

The next advisory will be issued by the national hurricane center at 400 pm cdt.

Coastal 06-11-2006 02:40 PM

Nice welcome to our new home we're closing on tomorrow. :banghead:

Rich Z 06-11-2006 02:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like the track has changed quite a bit recently. Moving further east and then with a sharp job to the north east predicted. It looks like some outer bands will reach up here in Tallahassee in a few hours. Hope we don't get any tornados spinning out of those bands.

ChuckG 06-11-2006 05:27 PM

Looks like it's heading right towards Crystal River. :)

This'll be our FIRST hurricane as "official Florida landowners".

We don't have a house built yet, so we've got nothing to lose. Chuck

3318C5 06-11-2006 06:42 PM

Here we go again; prayers to all!:thumbsup: Hope no one get affected badly.

exile 06-11-2006 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Big difference since yesterday, much more organized circulation.

2Vettes 06-11-2006 08:31 PM

Hurricane season 2006: Hope by the end of this season we all can say it wasn't too bad... :yesnod: Now, check your lists again....
Batteries...check
Generator....check
Extra gas containers....check
Water....check
Plywood....check
And the list goes on and on......:yesnod:

9T8Vette 06-11-2006 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3318C5
Here we go again; prayers to all!:thumbsup: Hope no one get affected badly.

:iagree: Please just bring some rain:dancer01:

Rich Z 06-11-2006 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exile
Big difference since yesterday, much more organized circulation.

Actually the convection shown in the radars is not right over top of the center of circulation. That's why they are predicting no strengthening and only remaining a tropical storm. Which is probably quite fortunate, since I'm sure the Gulf of Mexico is plenty warm enough to help in hurricane development.

pewter99 06-11-2006 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckG
Looks like it's heading right towards Crystal River. :)

This'll be our FIRST hurricane as "official Florida landowners".

We don't have a house built yet, so we've got nothing to lose. Chuck

it won't be a "cane so you are still hurricane virgins :D

theanswriz42 06-11-2006 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pewter99

haha, that man speaks the truth.

MADN3SS 06-12-2006 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z
Actually the convection shown in the radars is not right over top of the center of circulation. That's why they are predicting no strengthening and only remaining a tropical storm. Which is probably quite fortunate, since I'm sure the Gulf of Mexico is plenty warm enough to help in hurricane development.

I have heard that the water is cooler than it was this time last year due to the tradewinds. Give it another month and it will feel like bathwater. :rolleyes:

Rich Z 06-12-2006 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well they changed the forecast again. Expected to reach hurricane force winds, and is taking a more northerly track for the center. Which pushes it closes to Tallahassee.... :ack2:

Getting some light wind squalls now but looks like some rough weather coming..

Shadow 06-12-2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

Well they changed the forecast again. Expected to reach hurricane force winds, and is taking a more northerly track for the center. Which pushes it closes to Tallahassee.... :ack2:

Getting some light wind squalls now but looks like some rough weather coming..

This is the only reason I never moved to the Panhandle! Damned place is a hurricane magnet:eek:

Rich Z 06-12-2006 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow
This is the only reason I never moved to the Panhandle! Damned place is a hurricane magnet:eek:

Well based on the last couple of years, I think you can say that about the entire state of Florida. Prior to this change in the weather patterns, the Carolinas were ground zero for a while. Things just change. If we all lived to be several thousand years old, we would probably recognize these changes just as we recognize the change in the seasons. It's like grasshoppers trying to understand the devastaing event of the lawn mower in their lifetimes...

Purerock105 06-12-2006 05:57 PM

Everything seems to cycle out every few years. I lived in Virginia Beach from
1993-1999 and we got the east side bands from the Carolina Canes, and
during that time Florida had been off the hook since Andrew in 1992.

Now Florida is the Hurricane HQ. :ack2:

Rich Z 06-12-2006 06:33 PM

Looks like a huge band of storms pushing against a front right below me. I'm actually located about 15 miles south of Tallahassee. Been watching that storm band creeping this way all day now. Getting a few sprinkles but not a whole lot of rain. All the plants are begging for the downpour. Even the tree frogs are kicking up a chorus to try to influence the rains.

Rich Z 06-13-2006 02:14 AM

Man, you watch the weather channel on this storm and they are almost frothing at the mouth trying to play it up. Come on fellas! This crap is bad enough without trying to make a media circus out of it do drum up viewers and please the advertisers! I heard there were evacuations ordered, even. Sheesh, from WHERE? I think this state is going to go nuts if a category 5 heads for landfall here this season. But I guess this is big business now for some industries.

MADN3SS 06-13-2006 03:42 AM

Quote:

Man, you watch the weather channel on this storm and they are almost frothing at the mouth trying to play it up. Come on fellas! This crap is bad enough without trying to make a media circus out of it do drum up viewers and please the advertisers! I heard there were evacuations ordered, even. Sheesh, from WHERE? I think this state is going to go nuts if a category 5 heads for landfall here this season. But I guess this is big business now for some industries.

Rich, this is the evacuation list from the Bay area.

A mandatory evacuation order has been issued in zones A and B for Citrus County. That includes all residents living west of U.S. 19 and one-and-a-half miles east of U.S. 19.

Hernando County's emergency management officials have issued a local state of emergency order and a strongly recommended evacuation order for all coastal residents in evacuation zones A/B.

This is the extreme western portion of the county, lying west of U.S. 19, excluding The Heather, Glen Lakes, Regency Oaks and River Country areas.

Pasco County has issued a recommended evacuation order for zone A.

Hillsborough County has issued a voluntary evacuation order for coastal low-lying areas, such as the Bayshore Boulevard area in Tampa, where water could be 7 feet above normal. The emergency operations center will partially activate at 8 a.m. Tuesday.

Shadow 06-13-2006 09:18 AM

Quote:

Well based on the last couple of years, I think you can say that about the entire state of Florida. Prior to this change in the weather patterns, the Carolinas were ground zero for a while. Things just change. If we all lived to be several thousand years old, we would probably recognize these changes just as we recognize the change in the seasons. It's like grasshoppers trying to understand the devastaing event of the lawn mower in their lifetimes...

You're right, but I wasn't referring to the state. I was referring to the specific geographical location.

I'm in Tampa and by and large, this area has been spared the brunt of a direct hit by anything more than a light blow job for many years (knock on wood:banghead: :banghead:.
The Panhandle area on the other hand, especially the Panama City/Pensacola area, have been targeted more than not by storms in recent years.

I just heard from one of my servers that Bayshore was flooded...surprise, surprise!:rolleyes:

I really hope this is a light season, but I'm getting panels this year regardless(they come tomorrow to give us an estimate). No more plywood!

Stay safe out there.

exile 06-13-2006 04:52 PM

Well, it looks like this storm is about 86. Hope everybody is OK with no wind/rain damage. Here in Sarasota we got quite a bit of rain and wind both, but I don't think there was appreciable damage and we really needed the rain. There should be another soon if history is any indication...........:) Tom

Rich Z 06-13-2006 05:05 PM

Yeah, we got some rain up here in the Tallahassee area, but I don't think the winds went over 35 mph. And yes, we needed the rain here as well. If all tropical events would be like this it would certanly be OK in my book.

ChuckG 06-13-2006 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pewter99

Yeah, I'm still a "virgin". :) I see they evacuated part of Citrus County. That's the lowland part west of the main road.

We're on the high and dry side....in Pine Ridge. Maybe my grass, er, underbrush got watered. :) Chuck

exile 06-13-2006 05:53 PM

Quote:

Maybe my grass, er, underbrush
LOL. Yep, I was in Pasco County yesterday for about 5 hours and they were getting hammered with the rain and some wind, but my guess is your place is fine:thumbsup: .........Tom

Coastal 06-13-2006 06:52 PM

Well Alberto really screwed us up pretty well. We were supposed to close on our house Monday. We had all the closing papers fedexed up to us, we went to a title company here in Indy to sign, notarize and whiteness and fedexed back for a Monday AM delivery. Since the Insurance Co. would not bind the policy because of the storm, I could not close.

Soooo now I have to do it all over again. Re-fedex, re-sign yada yada yada. This is going to cut it really close since the next closing date is next Tuesday and we will be loading a truck to ship stuff down that same day and Flying down Thursday.

I can understand the insurance co. but it wasn’t even raining there!!! There was a co that would have done it for $10,000 but before I got back to them, they closed too.

Shadow 06-13-2006 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal
Well Alberto really screwed us up pretty well. We were supposed to close on our house Monday. We had all the closing papers fedexed up to us, we went to a title company here in Indy to sign, notarize and whiteness and fedexed back for a Monday AM delivery. Since the Insurance Co. would not bind the policy because of the storm, I could not close.

Soooo now I have to do it all over again. Re-fedex, re-sign yada yada yada. This is going to cut it really close since the next closing date is next Tuesday and we will be loading a truck to ship stuff down that same day and Flying down Thursday.

I can understand the insurance co. but it wasn’t even raining there!!! There was a co that would have done it for $10,000 but before I got back to them, they closed too.

Leave it to the insurance industry to screw things up:nonod:

They won't bind insurance if a storm (even a piddly assed one like this) is within X hours of landfall (can't recall the actual time frame).

I understand it, but it still sucks:(

Shadow 06-13-2006 06:57 PM

As Jimmy Buffett says:

trying to reason with Hurricane season

"...Storms out on the Gulf Stream, big storms comin soon..."

Rich Z 06-13-2006 07:14 PM

Quite frankly, the way things are going in Florida, soon we will be chasing down insurance agents with dogs and tar and feathering them. If I hear things right, my home owner's policy will about double next time around. :mad:

Shadow 06-13-2006 07:45 PM

Quote:

Quite frankly, the way things are going in Florida, soon we will be chasing down insurance agents with dogs and tar and feathering them. If I hear things right, my home owner's policy will about double next time around. :mad:

Please, O please...let me take point! :mad: :D

Coastal 06-13-2006 07:47 PM

Quote:

If there's any insurance companies left, we may all be insured by the state.

Rich Z 06-13-2006 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal
If there's any insurance companies left, we may all be insured by the state.

We already almost have that. It's called "Citizens Property Insurance Corporation." The dig is, if they go over budget, then they assess the real insurance companies who then pass through that charge to their regular customers. Gee, how wonderful is that? All I see is the bottom line on my premium notice.

Really folks, I don't have a problem with people building multi million dollar homes on sand dunes on a barrier island. I'm glad for them that they can do that. Just don't be sticking you hand into MY pocket when it gets knocked down by a hurricane to help you rebuild your folly. Which is exactly what is happening.

86DSOMVERT 06-13-2006 08:38 PM

Hey Rich do you need an Ark now? 2 Corvettes of every model year.:thumbsup:

Hope everyone faired well.

I didn't even know it stormed it was so quiet outside.

Shadow 06-13-2006 09:11 PM

Quote:

We already almost have that. It's called "Citizens Property Insurance Corporation." The dig is, if they go over budget, then they assess the real insurance companies who then pass through that charge to their regular customers. Gee, how wonderful is that? All I see is the bottom line on my premium notice.

Really folks, I don't have a problem with people building multi million dollar homes on sand dunes on a barrier island. I'm glad for them that they can do that. Just don't be sticking you hand into MY pocket when it gets knocked down by a hurricane to help you rebuild your folly. Which is exactly what is happening.

Just proves the point that if government were a private enterprise, it'd be bankrupt.

Insurance companies spread thier risks over the country. I have no sympathy for them or thier losses. They chose to take the risk.

Scott, you're right on the other point. Either be willing to pay more individually for your beach house insurance or accept the fact that your multi gazillion dollar beach front view may be a sandbar after the next storm

Rich Z 06-13-2006 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow
Insurance companies spread thier risks over the country. I have no sympathy for them or thier losses. They chose to take the risk.

That used to be true, but no longer. Did you know that most (if not all) of the insurance companies have spun off Florida into it's own separate insurance company? i.e., State Farm Florida, and Allstate Florida, etc.? That's so that each of those companies can go bankrupt and it won't touch the main company.

Pretty nifty of them, eh? "Good hands" and all that stuff........... :thumbsdown: