The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Corvette Discussions (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Had to buy tires today... (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19361)

ynkedad 08-28-2008 03:35 PM

Had to buy tires today...

Well, the other day I just happened to look at my front passenger tire and noticed the inner treads were toast. The driver side wasn't as bad, but was on its way as well.
So I went to a dealer that has done all of my cars tires in the past and he gave me a quote on some Kumho Ecsta Sports (non-runflats).

I went home and did some searching here (for opinions on this brand) and at tire rack, among other places for ratings and cost. I found out that these tires actually rated really well compared to the Big name brands. Even better than the Stock Tires and Most others in their class (according to Tire Racks charts and information).

Anyway, For 4 tires (original sizes) it cost me a Grand Total of $906.48.
That includes Tax, Mounting & Balancing.

At Tire Rack it would have cost $784.30. Which would have included Shipping Only. No Tax etc.
For a difference of $122.18

So what do ya's think?
Anyone else have these tires?

"Backyard Mechanic" 08-28-2008 04:21 PM

Cool,Those are the one's I want when I get rid of my runflats,Are these the one's you got?
Ecsta Sport KU31
Attachment 3096

ynkedad 08-28-2008 05:16 PM

Yep..

Those are the exact tires I bought.:thumbsup:

shakedown067 08-28-2008 05:57 PM

I have kuhmos on my C4 (c5 wheels). They are a great street tire. I'll be needing something more aggressive when I start autocrossing her though. I do wish they had a bit more lateral grip though. They are great in the rain too...

98 softtail 08-28-2008 06:06 PM

Way to go.

vett boy 08-28-2008 06:08 PM

Tire rack is a good place to compare all the tires that are available.Price wise i've done better or as good with my local dealer.Anyway i'm happy for your car.:D

"Backyard Mechanic" 08-28-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ynkedad (Post 68163)
Those are the exact tires I bought.:thumbsup:

:pics::pics:

ynkedad 08-28-2008 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "Backyard Mechanic" (Post 68190)
:pics::pics:

I'll post'em in a day or so Rob. :thumbsup:

gmjunkie 08-28-2008 07:26 PM

Yeah Ray, Kumho are A OK in my book!!I put Kumho Ecsta ASX's (All Season)on my 03 Z-51, And there will NEVER be another set of BadYear tires on anything I own!!:thumbsup:I just turned 40,000 miles on them, and there still great in the Rain and I can still hear my Stereo!!:thumbsup::lmao::lmao:

PS. I altered the alignment settings on my car from factory settings,
0 camber all the way around with 6*pos LF,6 1/4*pos RF caster 1/32nd's pos toe Front 1/64 pos toe rear!! My tires no longer wear the insides out!!:thumbsup:Steers allot easier in heavy traffic,but a bit of a hand full at 140+ MPH!! But my tires are warring Great!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

PS,PS. (Disclaimer) If you drive at speeds in excess of 140 MPH these settings are Not for you!!:thumbsup:

ynkedad 08-28-2008 07:51 PM

Hey..

Brother Junk,:wavey:

Yea, my tire guy was explaining that very thing to me today. That Vette's are notorious for wearing from the inside tread out. He said it's because the way the manufacturer set up the front end. At low speeds the tires are pigeon toed and at high speeds they run straight (for obvious reasons). End result ... abnormal wear.

Or something to that affect.:D

Anyhow, I assumed till your post, that because of the wear pattern I was in need of an alignment. So, I have an appointment set for tomorrow.
Now I'm :thinkin:. The car didn't/,doesn't pull at all! Nor did it shake or wobble, so i know the tires were balanced. Maybe it's just the cars original set up that made them wear like that??
BTW, I have 26,900 miles on the original tires.
What'cha think junk?

~Ray