The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   California Water Blade (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106)

Rich Z 05-01-2006 12:56 AM

California Water Blade

Yeah, this is another one of those items I just bought on impulse. Sounded real good in theory: Use it as a squeegee to just wipe the water off of the surface of the car after washing. Supposed to be of "medical grade" (whatever that is supposed to mean) silicone which will not scratch your paint surface. Well, maybe not, but if that blade catches any grit or dust, and drags IT across your paint, that certainly will scratch the surface. I have some scratches to prove that one. Granted maybe there is some sort of technique for using it that I am not aware of, but it only took my getting a couple of scratches and I "retired" that sucker. I guess the same thing can happen with using a cloth to dry the surface, but so far I haven't seen that happen to me. Personally I think the blade would be more likely to hold that grit directly against the surface where a cloth may be more inclined to LIFT it off of the surface. Beats me, but I learned this lesson the hard way.

FWIW....... and YMMV......

exile 05-01-2006 01:23 AM

California Water Blade:NoNo: :NoNo: :NoNo: :NoNo: :NoNo: :NoNo:

gsjack 05-01-2006 01:25 AM

I only use 100% cotton white american made large towels to dry 'em.

Jack

MADN3SS 05-01-2006 08:49 AM

I blow dry mine! :rofl1: And by blow dry, I don't mean with a blower. No, most of the time I use what Jack uses.

Wow, 100th post already....that went quick! :champagne:

:vette:

Z06 Rocket 05-01-2006 11:25 AM

I use the chamois that is packaged in a plastic tube so it stays a little damp. Thats so it doesn't turn into a brick when it dries out. Worked good for me that last 10 yrs or so. They seem to hold up too, I've only owned about 3-4 of them during that time.

pewter99 05-15-2006 12:49 AM

been using it for 5 years...never an issue...I also have micro fiber towels

Z06 Rocket 05-15-2006 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pewter99
been using it for 5 years...never an issue...I also have micro fiber towels

I use the micro fiber towels too,,,, real good for detailing.

Rich Z 05-15-2006 05:47 PM

Yeah, I have bought several bundles of those microfiber towels. They are NOT all created equal, however. You can feel the difference in them depending on where they came from. And I learned a valuable lesson the other day: Don't drop those suckers on the ground! :eek:

BTW, Sam's Club has them about the cheapest price I have found, but I don't think the quality is as good as some others I have bought.

Oh, and I've heard conflicting opinions about this, but should you cut off the edges? I've heard they CAN cause scratches......

EatRice 05-15-2006 06:46 PM

Bottom line is anything you use can and will cause scratches if used improperly or on a dirty car. A towel, absorber, or water blade will drag a piece of sand across the surface causing a scratch. Personally I use absorbers and just make sure the surface is very clean before I start to dry. I keep my absorbers in their tubes and occassionally wash them in the wash machine. I keep all my detailing cloths in zip lock bags. Keep everything free of dirt and you should have no problems.

Yellow 05-15-2006 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EatRice
Personally I use absorbers and just make sure the surface is very clean before I start to dry.

Come detail my vette and show me how to use one :D