The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Anyone ever use one of these..... (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17554)

Guro305 07-04-2008 10:49 PM

Anyone ever use one of these.....

Any good?

Rich Z 07-04-2008 11:27 PM

Bought one a while back, but never had a chance to use it. I thought it would be good to polish the wheels with....

Guro305 07-04-2008 11:46 PM

Well the mini is for polishing the wheels but I don't care about polishing the wheels, I want to polish and wax the car without finishing tearing out my rotor cuff.

Rich Z 07-05-2008 01:03 AM

I'm not really sure the ball shape would be best for flat surfaces. The contact area would be much smaller than something like a Porter-Cable random orbital buffer pad. Plus the PC would be a whole lot less likely to burn the paint if not done perfectly.

I believe the ball attaches to a regular drill, which may be difficult to hold onto and control.

My thoughts on the balls would be that they would probably be great for doing the wheels as well as polishing smaller areas underneath the hood. The intercooler would probably be much easier to polish that way.

Unfortunately, I think doing a good job on the finish just requires a certain amount of elbow grease, no matter what tools you use to assist you.

vett boy 07-05-2008 05:08 AM

I have one and I used it for the C5 wheels but I don't think i'd use it on the body surface.

Rich427 07-05-2008 07:12 AM

Since you have a shoulder problem, you are much better off buying a Porter Cable buffer and some quality detailing products to make your job easier. Everyone has their own favorite brands, but some are a lot easier to apply. I used to be an avid Zaino guy. Loved the end result but did not like the time and some of the steps in their process.

I found that with Adam's and a PC I can detail any of my Vettes (wash, clay bar, polish & wax) in about 2 hours. Plus, my arm is not falling off when I am finished. The PC is really great for this. You can get the PC at most Home Depot's and Lowe's. Adam's also sells them, plus he has a quick disconnect for the PC that allows you to use a double sided pad (each side has a different level of aggressiveness for a specific application). The PC is really easy to handle, does not wear out your arm, and is very quick.

I have a power ball that I occasionally use for my wheels, but I typically only use it when I take the wheels off to do a thorough detail on them. I would not attempt to use the power ball on your paint surface. I just don't think you would have the ability to control a drill with a round object as well as a PC with a flat pad. JMO.

Rich

THOR 07-05-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich427 (Post 63760)
Since you have a shoulder problem, you are much better off buying a Porter Cable buffer and some quality detailing products to make your job easier. Everyone has their own favorite brands, but some are a lot easier to apply. I used to be an avid Zaino guy. Loved the end result but did not like the time and some of the steps in their process.

I found that with Adam's and a PC I can detail any of my Vettes (wash, clay bar, polish & wax) in about 2 hours. Plus, my arm is not falling off when I am finished. The PC is really great for this. You can get the PC at most Home Depot's and Lowe's. Adam's also sells them, plus he has a quick disconnect for the PC that allows you to use a double sided pad (each side has a different level of aggressiveness for a specific application). The PC is really easy to handle, does not wear out your arm, and is very quick.

I have a power ball that I occasionally use for my wheels, but I typically only use it when I take the wheels off to do a thorough detail on them. I would not attempt to use the power ball on your paint surface. I just don't think you would have the ability to control a drill with a round object as well as a PC with a flat pad. JMO.

Rich

Nice writeup and I wholeheartedly agree. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

shakedown067 07-07-2008 09:07 AM

I just got one of those body powerballs. I love it. Used it on my Vette (with adam's polish & wax I might add) plus on my wifes car. Very good results, easy to use, easy to clean and reuse. I actually own all three powerballs, but I use the other two on my truck's billet wheels.

Ms. AntiVenom 07-07-2008 09:35 AM

Ive used one for years on my red trans am fleet of 3 and never had any problems

Blueleader 07-07-2008 12:15 PM

Chip Foose had one in an ad, I thought it is too much work...I went back to RejeX, eazy on, eazy off. :dancer01: :dancer01: www.rejex.com/rejexmain.html