The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Z06Fever! (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   1 to 4 frustrating (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104863)

Kwfitz 09-06-2015 10:56 AM

1 to 4 frustrating

Just took delivery of 2016 Z06. Disappointed to find that it still has that annoying forced shift from 1st to 4th gear under certain speed/rpm conditions. Can this be turned off by a tuner using the PCM software but without affecting anything else?

Rich Z 09-06-2015 12:39 PM

Yeah, that was the first thing I modded when I brought my 2009 Z06 back home. But I just used a plug in bypass at the transmission.

Bear in mind that to do this via a PCM reflash, you have now altered the stock PCM, which I have heard can be detected by GM if something warranty related fails on your car. They could use the evidence of an unauthorized PCM reprogramming to deny a drivetrain failure warranty claim.

If it were me, I would go with the lockout module instead. Once your car is out of warranty, then think about using the PCM reflash method.

Of course, if you are planning on doing other tuning to the PCM and to hell with the warranty, then have at it.

IMHO.

85vette 09-06-2015 03:51 PM

Another twist to modifying the new cars.....

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/20/g...-car-software/

Kwfitz 09-06-2015 04:23 PM

1 to 4 frustration

Thx for the guidance and suggestion! Definitely not looking to retuning or potentially affecting warranty, so your trans plug is the way to go. Thx, again!

Rich Z 09-06-2015 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85vette (Post 192499)
Another twist to modifying the new cars.....

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/20/g...-car-software/

I can see where that will get pretty messy in a courtroom.

But there may be an easy solution. If the manufacturer's claim ownership of any part of a vehicle for life, then they need to accept the responsibility of REPAIRS for life as well. Let's watch them pack pedal then...

85vette 09-06-2015 06:24 PM

This could really be a can of worms! You have heard of hackers taking control of cars. Who could do it better than the manufacturers? Just imagine how they could charge whatever they want to continue service, much like satellite television. Or shut you down if you don't pay. Or track where you go, limit power, etc. Ah, technology! :nonod:

Rich Z 09-07-2015 01:09 AM

I wonder how many judges sitting on the bench at the SCOTUS are computer savvy enough to even grasp the details of what they will be deciding on?

Nearly everything electronic is running microcode these days. Are the products usable without the coded modules? Can they be purchased without it?

Yeah, it will make an interesting court case if the judges are up to snuff. Or not bought off like much of the government is these days by corporate America. It might become more of a political argument than a technical one. Corporate America can sell us goods and still retain ownership of those goods. And if they still retain ownership, can they not also charge us contract leases as long as they please?

Kwfitz 09-07-2015 11:51 AM

Thx for all the comments. For Rich Z: who can do the plug in bypass at the trans? Is this like plugging in a flash drive or something more complicated? Thx!

Rich Z 09-07-2015 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwfitz (Post 192509)
Thx for all the comments. For Rich Z: who can do the plug in bypass at the trans? Is this like plugging in a flash drive or something more complicated? Thx!

It's a module that plugs in at the transmission. There is a cable that runs to the transmission and this plug goes either between the cable and the transmission, or can just plug into the then of the cable itself.

You will need to lift your car to get to it, as you have to be able to get your hands up onto the driver's side of the transmission.

I understand that some people either pull a specific fuse from the fuse block or replace it with a modified fuse to accomplish the same thing. Looks up CAGS skip shift bypass fuse on Google if you want to pursue this avenue.

Kap142 09-07-2015 04:14 PM

Totally agree with Rich. This was one of the first mods I installed. Super easy, did I say super easy and totally effective.:dancer01:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 192511)
It's a module that plugs in at the transmission. There is a cable that runs to the transmission and this plug goes either between the cable and the transmission, or can just plug into the then of the cable itself.

You will need to lift your car to get to it, as you have to be able to get your hands up onto the driver's side of the transmission.

I understand that some people either pull a specific fuse from the fuse block or replace it with a modified fuse to accomplish the same thing. Looks up CAGS skip shift bypass fuse on Google if you want to pursue this avenue.