The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Ranting Room (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Political ads on automotive website (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3175)

Z06 Rocket 08-06-2007 11:21 AM

Political ads on automotive website

Ok, Everybody has got their views in this matter. My particular rant :rant: is that we now have Obama ads on an automotive website. :badidea: :2232censored:

ITS STILL 1 YEAR AND 3 MONTHS AWAY FROM ANY ELECTION AND NOW WERE GETTING THE ADS SHOVED DOWN OUR THROAT AGAIN? IT WAS ONLY A VEEEERRRRYY SHORT TIME AGO THE LAST BARRAGE ENDED. DO WE REALLY HAVE TO DEAL WITH THESE ADS HERE? :mad:

I know ads pay the bills, so I'm not completely ignorant to the fiscal side of the argument, but really, whether I like Obama or not, or choose to support a Republican candidate, CAN'T WE HAVE AN AREA WHERE THE BS STINK DOESN'T PERMEATE INTO OUR "SAFE ZONE" of recreation? I don't know about you but the Vette is a constant good thing, and I'm a little ticked that now we have to deal with BS ads while discussing our love in life. We can't even go to a professional game (where we used to get away from commercials and only see print billboards) without watching real commercials on the Jumbo-tron.:banghead: :banghead:

Really,,, this commercial age is waaaaaaay overboard. Please Rich, limit ads on here to things related to automotive goods or services like what I can see in the sidebar as I type this (Flash detailing, Antivenom, PPT Custom tuning etc).

P.S.
I do see a vote icon in the left sidebar , however before this is thrown into my face it's not a governmental election, it's simply a novelty for this website to be chosen as #1 on the Vette sites list....:rolleyes:

Just my :twocents:

SteveK 08-06-2007 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket
Really,,, this commercial age is waaaaaaay overboard. Please Rich, limit ads on here to things related to automotive goods or services like what I can see in the sidebar as I type this (Flash detailing, Antivenom, PPT Custom tuning etc).

If you notice, the banner ad was below the ads that Rich runs. Google randomly places ads in that area and I don't think the content can be controlled by anyone other than Google. I may be wrong on that put I think that's they way it works. :shrug01:

Z06 Rocket 08-06-2007 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveK
If you notice, the banner ad was below the ads that Rich runs. Google randomly places ads in that area and I don't think the content can be controlled by anyone other than Google. I may be wrong on that put I think that's they way it works. :shrug01:

Oh OK, I'm not a major computer guru so I did not know that. My bad.:ack2:

Rich Z 08-06-2007 04:09 PM

Actually those Google ads are SUPPOSED to be context sensitive and place ads that are relevant to keywords on the site. I suspect the politicians pay big bucks to get their ads bumped to the top of the food chain, as they have to pay each and every time someone clicks on their ad. The higher they want that ad to be in priority, the more they have to pay.

So I guess the people pulling the strings just used blanket coverage with a high bid on placement. Looks like they have money to burn on this campaign....

C5Rick 08-06-2007 07:36 PM

Well one thing about this post, I almost forgot to vote today.
Thanks for the reminder

Shadow 08-07-2007 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z
Actually those Google ads are SUPPOSED to be context sensitive and place ads that are relevant to keywords on the site. I suspect the politicians pay big bucks to get their ads bumped to the top of the food chain, as they have to pay each and every time someone clicks on their ad. The higher they want that ad to be in priority, the more they have to pay.

So I guess the people pulling the strings just used blanket coverage with a high bid on placement. Looks like they have money to burn on this campaign....

I didn't see them but hey....
Quote:

Google ads are SUPPOSED to be context sensitive and place ads that are relevant to keywords on the site

They must have picked up on the A-hole comment somewhere(generic for politician):rofl1:

Quote:

as they have to pay each and every time someone clicks on their ad.
Then I suggest we ALL start clicking on thier sites like a MOFO!!!

Could you imagine? If everyone from all the vette related sites clicked on the site oh Idon't know, lets say, 100 times....:eek: :eek:

Ya think we could bankrupt the candidates?

Sure worth a try....oops, almost forgot. Did Billery and Hill already do the BK thing?:rofl1:

Rich Z 08-08-2007 12:04 AM

I removed the image ads and replaced them with text ads. I think they work a little better as being more relevant to the context of this site. At least I hope so.....

Shadow 08-08-2007 01:39 AM

:thumbsup:

Z06 Rocket 08-08-2007 07:43 PM

:thumbsup: