The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Florida Discussions (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Oil spill - the end of fresh Florida seafood? (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45331)

MADN3SS 05-16-2010 09:47 AM

What % of Floridian's have change their mind from "Drill, baby drill", to "Not in my backyard!"?

For those that opposed drilling off Florida's coast from the beginning, it's kinda bittersweet. It's terribly sad that it takes something of this magnitude to open people's eyes. They say it's rare to have an oil spill/leak. All it takes is one. It will have a devastating effect on numerous industries across our great country. Though 80% of our seafood in the US is from foreign waters. I guess it goes along with everything else that's made outside the US.

CHASZ51 05-16-2010 09:54 AM

I'm still for drilling within 20 miles offshore of my coast. At least 60ft of water is better to deal with than 5000ft if there is a screw up.

Shadow 05-16-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADN3SS (Post 114646)
What % of Floridian's have change their mind from "Drill, baby drill", to "Not in my backyard!"?

For those that opposed drilling off Florida's coast from the beginning, it's kinda bittersweet. It's terribly sad that it takes something of this magnitude to open people's eyes. They say it's rare to have an oil spill/leak. All it takes is one. It will have a devastating effect on numerous industries across our great country. Though 80% of our seafood in the US is from foreign waters. I guess it goes along with everything else that's made outside the US.

Unfortunately Scott, the same logic could be applied to Nuclear energy. We have Nuke plants all over the place, including a couple within glow in the dark range of us in the Bay area.
As we saw with Chernobyl...it only takes one to make the place an uninhabitable desert for quite a while:(

Then there's the coal plants, explosion risks and pollution problems....

I guess what I'm saying is, everything has it's risks:(

We need better, more competent, less panty waste oversight people!!:mad:

Somebody that can't be bought and doesn't give a fat rat's arse about political correctness, what people think of thier opinions and decisions, has NO politcal aspirations, and is only concerned with the safety and wellfare of the workers and the cleanliness of our oceans and beaches...

...now....where do Andy and I apply?:):D:lmao:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHASZ51 (Post 114647)
I'm still for drilling within 20 miles offshore of my coast. At least 60ft of water is better to deal with than 5000ft if there is a screw up.

Absolutely. At least at that depth, you can get people and equipment down there!:thumbsup:

donzee 05-16-2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADN3SS (Post 114646)

:thumbsup: I,m a native Floridian, as was my dad, Im for drilling more than 20 miles out.
We have ship loads of oil & gas coming under the Skyway everyday, that are a potential diaster every day, (had 1 good one several years that cleaned up nicely)
and no one says a word.
As long as we need gas & oil, I dont see any way around the oil business.

Rich Z 05-16-2010 12:13 PM

As long as the oil companies are FULLY responsible for all damages, then yes, drill. If they are not willing to accept the risks, then neither are we.

Shadow 05-16-2010 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 114657)
As long as the oil companies are FULLY responsible for all damages, then yes, drill. If they are not willing to accept the risks, then neither are we.

I too am a native Floridian (which is part of the reason this site and it's members mean so much to me compared to the "big" sites), and I too am for the exploration of our oil reserves:thumbsup:

Bit like Rich says. The oil companies who are going to ultimately reap the benefit, should also stand ready (and by federal statute as well) to be held responsible for all damages, period!

No loopholes, no "if's" of "buts!"
you have a problem, it's YOUR problem!

This zero tolerance policy would necessarily force the oil companies into compliance. Want to drill? Accept the risk. If not, take your drill and GTFO:D Pretty simple huh?

As long as there's a dependence of oil, why not be dependent onourselves? Hell, maybe we can sell a few gzillion barrells to some other country while we're at it:D:thumbsup:

MADN3SS 05-17-2010 10:46 AM

Big Oil won't let any other source of energy come into play if they can help it. It reminds me of when I purchased my Dyson vacuum. Dyson had over 5,000 prototypes of his vacuum before finding the one that worked. He tried to sell it to many of the big vacuum companies. No one bit. After he got everything right and it became the best vacuum on the market, the president of Hoover Europe said that had he known it would have been that good, he would have bought the idea and put it on the shelf.

Rich Z 05-17-2010 06:39 PM

Heck, just do some investigation and find out how many of our "representatives" in Washington D.C. have stock in the oil companies. :rolleyes: Do you really think they will do anything that will negatively impact their own financial status?

vett boy 05-17-2010 07:43 PM

Like it not someone will drill off our coast .I'd rather have a US company doing it .

Shadow 05-17-2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vett boy (Post 114747)
Like it not someone will drill off our coast .I'd rather have a US company doing it .

Me too, although, I'm not sure BP (British Petroleum) is a US wholly owned US company?

Anyone know?