The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Maintenance, Mods, & Tips (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Power steering conversion (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5473)

Kap142 09-30-2007 12:59 PM

Power steering conversion

:shrug01:I am considering converting my manual steering BB 72 to power steering. I want to retain the original (Chevy) looks and parts as opposed to going with a Steeroids set up. Paragon offers a complete set up as one would have had installed in 1972 to include all nuts, bolts, brackets, pumps ET. AL.

My question is has anyone on the forum done this install on a BB C3 from maybe 68-74? If so how much of a pain in the arse is it going to be and will I need to have a party with Joe and Rob to help me get it done? :thumbsup:

Ken:dancer01:

Melsy 09-30-2007 02:04 PM

The mainline vette suppliers all sell "factory" parts kits to do the job. Order one, break out your shop manual and it go smmothly. There's reall not much to C-3 power steering.

Anti Venom 10-01-2007 10:23 AM

Done it before. Not bad at all. Factory assembly manual is your best friend. Service manual is o.k. but nowhere near as good. Buy the best control valve and assist cylinder that you can buy. These originals leak badly. When your conversion is done, and the first time that you start the car PLEASE do not put your arm through the steering wheel spokes to turn the key!!! Had a guy come into the shop once who hooked up the control valve wrong and when he started it the steering wheel turned by itself with tremendous force and broke his arm. Once everything is tested, and working properly, you can go back to reaching through the spokes.

Kap142 10-01-2007 11:21 AM

OK that's good news

Your words increase my confidence. I added Ford P/S to a 53 Effie I built and personally ran into the "hoses hooked up backwards" dilemma myself. I remember it well, could have been ugly but wasn't. I was lucky.

Another Q if I might. I have no lift. Will my jack stands give me adequate clearance under the Vette to work?

It is my understanding is that it's a total bolt on. Is that correct with the install you did also?

Thanks so much for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ken:thumbsup:

Anti Venom 10-01-2007 11:50 AM

Total bolt on?.. on the several that I did, yes. Clearance with jackstands? that is a funny question. For me, yes. The Corvette shop that I worked at years ago had no lift and we had no choice. I vowed never to be without a lift when I started my shop. But everything depends upon how flexible you are and how comfortable you are on your back. A couple of peices are really weird on the install, so be patient and all will go well.

Kap142 10-01-2007 02:11 PM

Thanks brother. As long as I have you responding two (kinda) final questions have popped up. Where do you find a true quality pump and ar any special tools required that I don't have in my tool boxes?

Thanks,

Ken

"Backyard Mechanic" 10-01-2007 05:24 PM

Buddy,It's not that hard,I have done 3 in the last 15 years,all off them on bb.

The ? if you will fit under the vette,that depends what you had for breakfast:lmao:But if you do, get 3 ton jack stands if you don't have them already,there taller,piece of cardboard and a good creeper and a florescent light,they don't get that hot,,o ya,a piece of wood to put your stands on,so they don't dig into your slab.I never need any special tools,but then again I have almost every tool made,I've got tools I have never used or don't know how to use:lmao:Should take about 4-5 hours.Also another trick is after all the lines are hooked up and before you install the belt and start the engine, add the power sterring fluid and then spin,by hand your power sterring pump to allow the fluid to make it's way through the system,then hook your belt,double check all connections then start her up,keep your eye's on the fluid until it's full,allow time for all the air to get out of the system.When your done you will be all smiles:)Good luck with the project,take photos before and after.If you need my help,you got my #.:thumbsup:O ya,might be tight place between the power sterring pump and your headers:shrug01:

Kap142 10-02-2007 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "Backyard Mechanic" (Post 34853)
Buddy,It's not that hard,I have done 3 in the last 15 years,all off them on bb.

The ? if you will fit under the vette,that depends what you had for breakfast:lmao:But if you do, get 3 ton jack stands if you don't have them already,there taller,piece of cardboard and a good creeper and a florescent light,they don't get that hot,,o ya,a piece of wood to put your stands on,so they don't dig into your slab.I never need any special tools,but then again I have almost every tool made,I've got tools I have never used or don't know how to use:lmao:Should take about 4-5 hours.Also another trick is after all the lines are hooked up and before you install the belt and start the engine, add the power sterring fluid and then spin,by hand your power sterring pump to allow the fluid to make it's way through the system,then hook your belt,double check all connections then start her up,keep your eye's on the fluid until it's full,allow time for all the air to get out of the system.When your done you will be all smiles:)Good luck with the project,take photos before and after.If you need my help,you got my #.:thumbsup:O ya,might be tight place between the power sterring pump and your headers:shrug01:

Very cool, exactly the information I needed. Paragon says the whole system is already in transit so I'll try to prep the swap with a removal of the manual steering on Wednesady (new system to be in on Thursday).

Will go get a set of RV jack stands on Wed too. Outta be a fun project with bootay kickin results.

I'll call ya if I get in over my head. Thanks

Ken

98 softtail 10-02-2007 11:06 PM

You have a PM.

"Backyard Mechanic" 10-06-2007 07:43 AM

Well,we are all waiting to see if you have power steering yet:shrug01::dancer01: