The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   General BS forum (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   explain why I can't have a beer and drive (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19021)

Coastal 08-21-2008 03:28 PM

explain why I can't have a beer and drive

I'm the first one to say nail the sob for dui but why is it that I can have a beer then drive but I can't have a beer while I drive? I can have a coke so it's not a distraction, I can have a full beer in me so it can't be for dui. Why is it?

Remember, I'm not talking dui.

98 softtail 08-21-2008 03:48 PM

Back in the good ol'days, we could have an open beer or mixed drink or whatever, as long as you were not intoxicated. Back in the '80s they passed the open container law. :icon_cheers:

JIM KILL 08-21-2008 04:00 PM

This is why!

This is why!
Remember....You asked!!

While there is no federal law prohibiting open containers in a motor vehicle (and both the 21st Amendment and the Commerce Clause of the Constitution of the United States likely would prohibit the United States Congress from passing such a law), the Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (often referred to as "TEA-21"), which Congress passed in 1999, created incentives for states to comply with certain federal requirements. Any state not in compliance has a percentage of its highway funds transferred instead each year to alcohol education funding. This is a similar approach to that which Congress took in 1984 when it passed the National Minimum Drinking Age Act, which successfully sought to get all states to adopt a legal drinking age of 21. TEA-21 has not met with the same success, as some states, like Missouri, openly refuse to implement new laws to meet its requirements.

To comply with TEA-21, a state's motor vehicle open container laws must:

Prohibit both possession of any open alcoholic beverage container and consumption of any alcoholic beverage;
Cover the passenger area of any motor vehicle, including unlocked glove compartments and any other areas of the vehicle that are readily accessible to the driver or passengers while in their seats;
Apply to all open alcoholic beverage containers and all alcoholic beverages, including beer, wine, and spirits that contain one-half of one percent or more of alcohol by volume;
Apply to all vehicle occupants except for passengers of vehicles designed, maintained or used primarily for the transportation of people for compensation (such as buses, taxi cabs, and limousines) or the living quarters of motor homes;
Apply to all vehicles on a public highway or the right-of-way (i.e. on the shoulder) of a public highway;
Require primary enforcement of the law, rather than requiring probable cause that another violation had been committed before allowing enforcement of the open container law.
Currently, 39 states and the District of Columbia are in compliance. Alaska, Louisiana, Tennessee, and Wyoming have similar limits on the possession of open containers in vehicles, but not to the level of TEA-21 compliance.

As of November, 2007, only one state (Mississippi) allows drivers to consume alcohol while driving (as long as the driver stays below the 0.08% blood alcohol content limit for drunk driving), and only eight states (Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Mississippi, Missouri, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia) allow passengers to consume alcohol while the vehicle is in motion. Still, local laws in these states may limit open containers in vehicles, although those local laws do not impact the state's compliance or noncompliance with TEA-21.

Hope you enjoyed!
:hehehe: JIM :hehehe:

Coastal 08-21-2008 04:35 PM

cool! I can keep my mojito in the glove compartment as long as I keep it locked. :crazy03::drink4:

:rofl1:

Dick 08-21-2008 07:05 PM

last time i made a drink and drove I spilled it and broke the glass. now i have to be careful everytime I vacuum under the seat. . . Maybe gods way of telling me I shouldnt be doing that? Either way it was a waste of a good crown and coke.

329of1k 08-21-2008 09:31 PM

I'll give you my opinion of why you can't have a drink and drive.:shrug01:

Because when you give an inch people take a mile. As good law abiding citizens you and I could probably control ourselves and not get carried away and get drunk behind the wheel. We could enjoy "a" cold beer on the way home from work each afternoon, but there are those among us in the world who cannot have just "a" beer and would drink an entire 6 or 12 pack on the way home. :NoNo:
Then they smash into you, me or whoever and cause problems. Or, LEO's and Fire Rescue are working a current accident and the drunk bastard smashes into them and injures or kills innocent people.:banghead:

I too would like to enjoy a beer in the car but it just doesn't work for everyone. Unfortunately you are able to drink at your home and then drive. Whether you get caught or not is the chance you take.

This is just my opinion and you can take it for what it's worth but that's just what I think would happen. By no means am I saying that you would drink too much. I am saying that other people would and it would result in bad things.
Probably way more of a response than you were looking for.:ack2:

dvdcta 08-22-2008 02:13 AM

dui

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal (Post 67526)
I'm the first one to say nail the sob for dui but why is it that I can have a beer then drive but I can't have a beer while I drive? I can have a coke so it's not a distraction, I can have a full beer in me so it can't be for dui. Why is it?

????????

dvdcta 08-22-2008 02:17 AM

beer

Quote:

Originally Posted by 329of1k (Post 67552)
I'll give you my opinion of why you can't have a drink and drive.:shrug01:

Because when you give an inch people take a mile. As good law abiding citizens you and I could probably control ourselves and not get carried away and get drunk behind the wheel. We could enjoy "a" cold beer on the way home from work each afternoon, but there are those among us in the world who cannot have just "a" beer and would drink an entire 6 or 12 pack on the way home. :NoNo:
Then they smash into you, me or whoever and cause problems. Or, LEO's and Fire Rescue are working a current accident and the drunk bastard smashes into them and injures or kills innocent people.:banghead:

I too would like to enjoy a beer in the car but it just doesn't work for everyone. Unfortunately you are able to drink at your home and then drive. Whether you get caught or not is the chance you take.

This is just my opinion and you can take it for what it's worth but that's just what I think would happen. By no means am I saying that you would drink too much. I am saying that other people would and it would result in bad things.
Probably way more of a response than you were looking for.:ack2:

well said could not do better!!!

Coastal 08-22-2008 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdcta (Post 67568)
????????

:eek:

dvdcta 08-24-2008 01:22 AM

dui

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal (Post 67526)

when I first came to FL back in the early 90S you could stop & get A beer & drive down the street and not get stopped but those days are over!