The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   On The Road in Florida (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   WOW, What a shame! (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11456)

shooter1951 01-09-2008 06:46 PM

WOW, What a shame!

Being on vacation this week in Florida, we spent Monday and most of Tuesday at Clearwater Beach before heading over to Orlando for Universal and the NCRS meet late Tuesday afternoon. We traveled I-4 between Clearwater Beach and Orlando. About 20 miles from Orlando there were some fires burning of the road away and there were guys posted keeping an eye on them. This morning we got up to the tragic news of the 70 vehicle crash that happened this morning in the same spot as we saw the smoke. Visibility was at almost zero per cent due to the smoke and fog that settled overnight. Some of the witnesses said they were driving along and suddenly visibility dropped. What a tragedy, at this point at least 4 are dead with at least 35-40 hospitalized, several in trauma units not expected to make it. In the blink of an eye tragedy can strike any of us changing our lives forever. Our thoughts and prayers go out to those involved in the wreck and to those who may know someone involved. Also to all those involved with the rescue effort, this will stay with them for the rest of their lives.

Regards,
Shooter

fletcher4u 01-09-2008 06:53 PM

Things happen fast it is very sad

Kap142 01-09-2008 07:11 PM

Yep heard the sirens.....

About 0600 hours this morning I was awakened by LOTS of sirens heading north toward I-4. Sounds like it was mega ugly.

I live maybe 5 miles south and east of I-4 and are not far from an artery that leads to the interstate. Awoke to the activity, turned on the dept radio and saw the mess. Most sad

Shadow 01-10-2008 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kap142 (Post 47694)
About 0600 hours this morning I was awakened by LOTS of sirens heading north toward I-4. Sounds like it was mega ugly.

I live maybe 5 miles south and east of I-4 and are not far from an artery that leads to the interstate. Awoke to the activity, turned on the dept radio and saw the mess. Most sad

Prayers to all those involved, victims and rescuers alike.

Good to know there's still people that will put it on the line to save a stranger:thumbsup:

Kap, wasn't one of the deputies hit as well?

Kap142 01-10-2008 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 47738)
Prayers to all those involved, victims and rescuers alike.

Good to know there's still people that will put it on the line to save a stranger:thumbsup:

Kap, wasn't one of the deputies hit as well?

Yep he kinda blundered into the whole mess too. I think he fine just a little embarrassed

Shadow 01-10-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kap142 (Post 47756)
Yep he kinda blundered into the whole mess too. I think he fine just a little embarrassed

LOL- I heard Grady on the tube yesterday quoting the deputy. "One minute its' clear, the next second you hit a wall!"

Glad he's ok:thumbsup: