The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   CorvetteFlorida Feedback! (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Temporary blocks on unregistered viewers (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75155)

Rich Z 04-21-2012 08:38 AM

Temporary blocks on unregistered viewers

I was taking a look at the IP addresses of unregistered viewers last night, and noted that there were about 100 IP addresses that were indicated as being Chinese spider bots. Quite frankly, this was a waste of bandwidth, and it's not like the topic matter here will ever really bring Chinese viewers that will want to participate (beyond being spammers, anyway), so I decided to put a temporary block on unregistered viewers to try to shake them loose from this site. I am also putting in IP blocks as well to let them know that they aren't wanted here. Quite frankly, my guess is that this is just a network set up to gather up links for Chinese spammers anyway.

It's not unusual that I have to do something like this on my sites every once in a while, so I figured I would just explain "why" in case some registered members try to view this site when those blocks are in place.

Pres712 04-22-2012 08:02 AM

Huh?

I didn't understand one thing you said but it must be important and I couldn't agree more? Keep up the good work, we appreciate it!!!

Cor66Vette 04-27-2012 04:27 PM

Would we registered users of the site even notice a block like this? And if/so, how?

Rich Z 04-27-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRestoredRoadster (Post 156530)
Would we registered users of the site even notice a block like this? And if/so, how?

No, not unless you were NOT logged in to the site. It's lifted now anyway, and honestly it doesn't seem to have done any good with the Chinese spiders. So I just blocked their IP addresses. But they are persistent little buggers....

Pres712 04-28-2012 06:57 AM

Plug

Rich: Did you see my post regarding patronizing one of your advertisers? 39dollar Glasses. I order a new pair of sunglasses from them. Haven't received them yet but I'll let you know..........

Rich Z 04-28-2012 10:41 AM

The only advertisers I have here are Google ads, which are just a "pay per click" type of advertising. To be perfectly honest, this site is operating in the red, and has been so for quite a long time.

Pres712 04-28-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 156565)
The only advertisers I have here are Google ads, which are just a "pay per click" type of advertising. To be perfectly honest, this site is operating in the red, and has been so for quite a long time.

Sorry to hear that, thought I helped.

mickeystoysz16 05-01-2012 06:22 PM

Yea if that was the case several months ago I would have had a Philippino girlfriend. :hehehe: