The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Ranting Room (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   someone hit my car in the parking lot (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54288)

ClockworkC5 01-10-2011 09:03 AM

someone hit my car in the parking lot

i always park as far away from anyone else in the parking lot, and someone managed to still crash into me on the way out. the note they left must have blown away, because i couldnt find one anywhere. should i have my insurance pay for the front bumber to be painted and fixed? im assuming i will have to fill out a police report. anyone else have experience with this?

Shadow 01-10-2011 10:26 AM

You'd file it as a leaving the scene of a property damage (unattended) crash.
No leads, your insurance pays - your deductible.

Pretty clean cut...unless they want to investigate. Then it can tie you up a bit.

Hows the damage?

May be cheaper to cover it yourself and not pay the added premiums (if any) in the future for claims.

ClockworkC5 01-10-2011 11:27 AM

drivers side front bumper is caved in with a huge crease. i dont believe it to be fixable. luckily the quarter panel was left unscathed. i cant imagine a front bumber being very cheap. this most likely will have to be an insurance deal. ill have to call state farm and see what they say.

Shadow 01-10-2011 12:23 PM

That's about all you can do for now.
See how they respond and how they handle the matter.

Bumper covers aren't cheap and I don't think they're repairable.
Tracy, Greg, Jesse or one of the others would probably be better suited to respond to that matter.

With no other driver, it'll all fall back on your company.
Should be no brainer unless they suggest frraud:rolleyes:

Wouldn't worry about it.
Get some estimates and make the claim:thumbsup:

Rich Z 01-10-2011 12:58 PM

Kind of sucks that YOUR insurance company will raise YOUR rates when you had nothing at all to do with the accident.

Were you parked near a bar or something?

ClockworkC5 01-10-2011 01:12 PM

i was parked in the back of the parking lot. i never park my car close to other cars. i try to find a spot with a the curb on one side, so as to limit my exposure to idiots. ive been needing to repaint the bumper for a while now because i "kissed" the front of my garage one time. im guessing i need to call insurance company to see what will happen if i use insurance. i havent used the insurance for anything as of yet. ill keep everyone posted and appreciate the advice. thanks

Bob K 01-10-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 129381)
Kind of sucks that YOUR insurance company will raise YOUR rates when you had nothing at all to do with the accident.

Were you parked near a bar or something?

I think Florida is 'no fault' so his insurance would pay anyway but he wouldn't have to pay the deductible if the other person could be found. I'm sure they will not raise his rates.

ClockworkC5 01-10-2011 01:43 PM

since the person is long gone, do you think i will have to pay the deductible?

Bob K 01-10-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClockworkC5 (Post 129389)
since the person is long gone, do you think i will have to pay the deductible?

I'm sure because it's happened to me more than once.

Mark Dalton 01-10-2011 06:23 PM

I must have parked in your garage one time because I have a "kiss" mark on my front bumper as well. I went to the body shop behind the local Chevy dealer and they wanted about $1300 to repair or $2k for a new bumper. So far, I have not had it fixed.:nonod: