The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   When is the last time you claybarred your car? (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57768)

Rich Z 04-10-2011 08:46 PM

When is the last time you claybarred your car?

Did that today on the C6Z and this is the first time it's been done since I bought the car a year ago. I could feel a dramatic difference on the surfaces after the clay bar process was done. Feels very silky smooth to the touch, looks REAL pretty too, and I don't even have any finish layer on it yet. Of course, it's a back breaker getting down low to do those rocker panels.

But DEFINITELY worth doing! :thumbsup:

navy2kcoupe 04-10-2011 09:20 PM

Did mine about a year and a half ago, and noticed a dramatic difference as well.
Might be time to do it again..........
Andy :wavey:

Rich Z 04-10-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe (Post 135311)
Did mine about a year and a half ago, and noticed a dramatic difference as well.
Might be time to do it again..........
Andy :wavey:

The easiest way to tell if it's time is by putting your hand into a Glad (or equivalent) sandwich bag and rubbing it across your hood lightly. You will feel all the bumps immediately that way.

als2052 04-11-2011 07:57 AM

Do mine once a year...

1Bad'66 04-11-2011 07:45 PM

Just did mine 2 weeks ago...usually do it once sometimes twice a year.

mickeystoysz16 04-12-2011 11:02 AM

I just did my silverado a couple of months ago very dramatic difference. I am planning on doing the vette here real soon while I have some time. I use a clay bar, polish, glaze/sealant, then two coats of carnuba wax all by hand no machine man am I sore after that.

Rich Z 04-12-2011 12:39 PM

Yeah, I did the polishing yesterday with the buffing machine and parts of my body are hurting I didn't know I had. :ack2:

Cor66Vette 12-12-2011 03:05 PM

I did my ElCamino just before I sold it so I can't say how well or long it held up. But I can say, that even though the car was all around pristine, the buyer seemed more taken aback with the smoothness of the paint than he was in the rest of the car. The clay I used was from Griot's. First, a good wash- second, a light mist of (Griot's) "Speed-Shine", which will act as a lubricant for the clay- the I used a (Porta-Cable) polisher for the clay. Then the usual polishing, waxing, buffing, etc Came out nice.

Rich Z 12-12-2011 04:00 PM

So this was a liquid clay, and not an actual clay BAR?

Cor66Vette 12-12-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 149967)
So this was a liquid clay, and not an actual clay BAR?

No liquid, a bar! One would shape the clay to conform to a "holder", of sorts and then attach that to the polisher. Works well.