The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Events and Happenings (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Space shuttle launch on Saturday (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10164)

"Backyard Mechanic" 12-07-2007 05:46 PM

Space shuttle launch on Saturday

Managers to Discuss Atlantis Launch Today
Image above: Space shuttle Atlantis stands on Launch Pad 39A at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Photo credit: NASA/George Shelton
› View High-res

Dec. 7 - 2:15 a.m. EST
The launch of NASA's space shuttle Atlantis will take place no earlier than Saturday, Dec. 8, at 3:43 p.m. EST. Thursday's scheduled liftoff from NASA's Kennedy Space Center, Fla., was postponed because of a problem with a fuel cutoff sensor system inside the shuttle's external fuel tank.

shakedown067 12-08-2007 09:49 PM

Looks like it's now scheduled for sunday. Anyone have any recommendations for a place to view the launch? My wife and I will be in orlando sunday and figured we'd make the trip over to KSC.

CREWZIN 12-09-2007 03:21 PM

Well, they found another fault before launch. I think they said it will be January before they try again.

98 softtail 12-09-2007 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREWZIN (Post 44156)
Well, they found another fault before launch. I think they said it will be January before they try again.

That is what I heard today.

Since it is going to be awhile untill the next launch, maybe we could get a few of us together and head over to watch LIFTOFF. :dancer01:

CREWZIN 12-09-2007 08:51 PM

Not a bad idea, BUT, who's to say it will go off when they say it will once we get over there?

shakedown067 12-10-2007 08:03 AM

yeah, we saw the mission was scrapped before we left yesterday morning. That sure sucked. I'd certainly be down for a nice caravan or meeting up to watch the launch...or expected launch. Just has to be a weekend for me to make it.

THOR 12-11-2007 10:32 PM

That would be cool to see lift off together. Hopefully we can see a night lift off. Now that would be so awesome! Maybe Nasajack can help us arrange this.

vettejack 12-13-2007 05:26 AM

Well guys and gals...

I'm a little late coming into this 'conversation', so by now everyone should know that the launch of Atlantis won't happen until at least January 2nd, 2008 at the earliest. :shrug01:

As far as a good place for viewing, well, I always have the best seat in the house, :hehehe: , but for you mere mortals out there, trying to find a good place to view along the shoreline here is at best described as a dept store opening its doors on Black Friday...you run, or drive in this case, to secure the best spot you can. :rofl1:

I always tell people who wish to view, that along the shoreline in Titusville proper (Route 1) is the best location and it keeps you close to the highways (normally a drive to work for me is 20 minutes, but after a day time launch, that changes to an hour and a half for the same distance). :thumbsdown: I'm sure most of you dont want those pretty Vettes moving along at a snail's pace with chances of overheating. :thumbsup: So, the following would/could be an alternative...

Those 'major' highways that get you in, and out, of town is SR 528 and I-95. And from I-95, the shoreline in Titusville is just 3.5 miles east. Once in town, I could ask Ron Wood of Corvette Interiors (Route 50/Cheny Highway) if you could use his parking lot...then take a short walk, maybe a quarter mile, to the shoreline, with your chairs and other assorted goodies. :yesnod:

And even if the launch is scrubed any other time, wasn't it always the excuse to drive the car in the first place, and the real reason?? :hehehe: And besides, you're a bit closer to the escapes routes than most of the other 100,000 to 200,000 people who come to watch a launch!

"Backyard Mechanic" 12-13-2007 06:41 AM

Now that would be :cool3:
Thanks for the info:thumbsup:

shakedown067 12-13-2007 01:19 PM

That's some great info. Also if it gets scrubbed and it's not too late, we could all cruise over to Ecklers in titusville for a good Corvette spending spree!!!!!!!