The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Police Blotter (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   CAR JACKED AT KNIFE POINT (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10372)

Bob K 11-23-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85vette (Post 126403)
Having a CC permit is all well and good, but in these situations (carjacking, robbery, etc.) the majority of the time the victims are at a disadvantage, due to the element of surprise. :thumbsup:

I think that's a true statement 90% of the time. Usually mine is in a belt holster but on trips I'll tuck it between the seat and console, barrel down and grip in a position where I just lay my hand on it.

I've also been told to carry a small knife (I don't) in case you're grabbed from behind in a choke hold. I've been told they back off in a hurry. :D

Looks like you got a quick lesson with the flare gun. Sometimes I see a LEO standing alongside a stopped car in a very vulnerable position. It makes me shudder.

85vette 11-23-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob K (Post 126420)
I think that's a true statement 90% of the time. Usually mine is in a belt holster but on trips I'll tuck it between the seat and console, barrel down and grip in a position where I just lay my hand on it.

I've also been told to carry a small knife (I don't) in case you're grabbed from behind in a choke hold. I've been told they back off in a hurry. :D

Looks like you got a quick lesson with the flare gun. Sometimes I see a LEO standing alongside a stopped car in a very vulnerable position. It makes me shudder.

99% of the time an experienced LEO can read a situation within the first few moments of a traffic stop, or even a domestic dispute. But when a person approaches you in a non-aggressive manner to speak with you and then just comes out with a flare gun (which looks like a cannon up close) the pucker factor pegs like a Z06 with a brick on the gas pedal! ( I think I remember a sucking sound!?!) I didn't expect that! But I'll never forget it either. It doesn't matter how good or how fast you are....you can't out-draw a weapon that is already deployed! I realized right away that it was a flare gun, and I remembered everything I had been taught in the military about burning magnesium. At that moment I found myself wishing it was a .45.

FLvette 12-02-2010 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98 softtail (Post 44479)
Another story, Another reason to get your Concealed Carry Permit. Take a few shooting lessons, Get Certified, Go Shoot your weapon at the Range.

I aggree 100%.
This story should read: "Theif shot after trying to knife jack a car."

I hope you get your car back and in good condition.

Cor66Vette 12-17-2010 09:31 PM

Sandman- you came out of this unharmed and here to talk about it. Except for the trama and loss of the car, you are relatively unscathed. Do you carry? If/so, did you that day? Stay Well - Stay Sane