The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Florida Discussions (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Rain today (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111538)

CHASZ51 11-23-2017 06:28 PM

Rain today

Got 1.5" and sure needed it.

Rich Z 11-23-2017 08:57 PM

Yeah, it rained here all last night, so we got a pretty good soaking too.

CHASZ51 12-05-2017 06:32 AM

Cooler weather coming.

Rich Z 12-05-2017 10:28 AM

Yeah, we may get some frost over the weekend here. Connie and I just put two more citrus trees in the ground, so we may have to protect them.

Rain is supposed to begin tonight and continue on through Friday night if the forecast is accurate.

Rich Z 12-06-2017 11:17 AM

Hmm, looks like we may be in for some frost Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. :( Hope it doesn't damage our ripening citrus.

CHASZ51 12-06-2017 07:09 PM

Nothing like that for us.

Rich Z 12-07-2017 11:48 AM

Getting a steady rain today, with apparently lots more on the way. Forecast for Sunday night is 28 degrees. :( We'll have to cover some of the smaller trees to keep the fruits from possibly being damaged. Some of the larger trees are going to have to be on their own, however.

Rich Z 12-08-2017 07:21 PM

It might be time to start thinking about building that ark.......... :dead:

CHASZ51 12-08-2017 07:23 PM

Not a drop here. 83 today. Rain about 80 miles to my west offshore.

CHASZ51 12-09-2017 11:53 AM

Had 1.10" sometime around midnite. Woke me up for a sec.

CHASZ51 02-05-2018 06:35 AM

Got over a 1" Sunday.

Rich Z 02-05-2018 09:50 AM

We got 0.88 inches all total here according to my weather station gizmo.

CHASZ51 02-06-2018 07:04 PM

This should have been a dry winter and we are above normal on rainfall and ahead of last fall- winter that was so dry.

Rich Z 02-06-2018 09:28 PM

Wonder what that is going to mean for the Spring and Summer concerning precipitation? Those dry Springs are killers when the brush fires start popping up here and there. Makes me kind of nervous seeing burning embers falling into the yard with a forest fire just a tad too close for comfort.

CHASZ51 02-07-2018 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 202654)
Wonder what that is going to mean for the Spring and Summer concerning precipitation? Those dry Springs are killers when the brush fires start popping up here and there. Makes me kind of nervous seeing burning embers falling into the yard with a forest fire just a tad too close for comfort.

I am betting on a dry rest of the winter and spring.

Rich Z 02-07-2018 10:51 AM

I would bet that the weather will be generally variable and unpredictable with widely scattered periods of too much of what we don't want at the worst possible time, and not enough of what we do want when we could really use it. :hehehe:

Rich Z 02-07-2018 06:02 PM

Actually we are getting rain moving in right now. And looks like more over the weekend. So much for the local car show here in Crawfordville this Saturday.

Rich Z 02-08-2018 01:34 PM

We got 0.68 inches of rain yesterday. Looks like more is heading this way beginning tomorrow (Friday) and then through all next week.

Guess I need to be thinking about cranking up the mosquito magnets in case the mosquitoes take advantage of all the wet weather coming.

CHASZ51 02-08-2018 07:06 PM

Dry here.

Rich Z 02-11-2018 09:26 PM

Getting some REAL rain tonight. Probably will be a couple of inches all total when it finally passes on through. Got 0.65 inches so far and the leading edge of the front just got here recently.

Rich Z 02-12-2018 12:44 AM

Up to 1.28 inches of rain so far, and more to come.

Rich Z 02-12-2018 11:34 AM

1.38 inches and we are in a break in the rain. Looking like more due later this afternoon.

CHASZ51 02-13-2018 06:32 AM

Nothing here at all.

Rich Z 02-13-2018 12:16 PM

We didn't get as much rain as they had been predicting, after all. Matter of fact, they had been predicting that this entire week was going to be rainy here, but now that has completely changed and beautiful Spring weather with sunny skies and warm temps is showing instead. :shrug01:

Heck, I might even be able to get one or both of the vettes out for a drive sometime this week. Been a while since I have driven either of them.

Rich Z 03-19-2018 02:11 AM

We got 1.01 inches of rain this past evening, and it looks like more is on the way through the next day or so. This will be good for the fruit trees and the new bamboo shoots coming up.

CHASZ51 03-19-2018 06:02 AM

7 weeks and nothing here.

Rich Z 03-19-2018 11:53 AM

We had another 0.80 inch added early this morning. Looks like more on the way today.

Rich Z 03-19-2018 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHASZ51 (Post 203182)
7 weeks and nothing here.

Looking at the weather radar, perhaps you will be getting some rain today, too.

Rich Z 03-19-2018 01:39 PM

Actually we have another band of heavy rain moving in here right now. Lots of thunder, too.

CHASZ51 03-20-2018 07:07 AM

It was 70 miles to my north all day. Got about .25".

Rich Z 03-20-2018 11:58 AM

I don't know what the final rainfall amount was here since my rain gauge apparently choked up. Had to be more than 2 inches, though, based on what it DID register. It would be just incrementing steadily during the heavy rainfall, and then just suddenly stop increasing for long periods. So not sure what is up with that. I checked it the other day for debris in it and cleaned out the pollen that had accumulated in it. Maybe before the next predicted rainfall I'll change out the batteries.

Sorry you didn't get more rain, but I guess a quarter inch of rain is better than nothing.

Our temporary pond down near the large bamboo grove is filled up with water pretty well. Pair of box turtles are bumping heads in it. They seem to be highly attracted to that temporary pond for some reason. And the mosquito population is definitely increasing. Got to get those mosquito magnets cranked up REAL soon.

CHASZ51 03-20-2018 08:27 PM

Got .50" today so better than nothing.

Rich Z 04-04-2018 03:48 PM

Was hoping for a good soaking rain today, but no such luck. The strong front heading our way from the west is just breaking up and we are getting barely a drizzle. 0.03 inches so far, and unlikely to be much more.

I cannot figure out what breaks up those storm fronts before they get to us. They will reach just east of Panama City, and then just evaporate before they reach us. It's not like we have a mountain range west of us or anything but something in that area is obviously having an effect. I've actually seen strong rain bearing fronts break up to the west of us, then reform to the east of us dropping a lot of rain. I just cannot figure out the mechanism locally that would cause that to happen.

Well, I have heard some people claim the Magnetic Lab in Tallahassee is influencing the weather around here, but I'm not sure historical weather data prior to it's construction would support that theory. From what I have heard from folks, this area where we live used to be farm land, but it was all mostly abandoned which allowed the forest to grow back. The stream through our land, according to some folks we talked to, used to be crystal clear until tannin from forest growth tainted the color of the water. So something apparently caused the failure of farming attempts here. Perhaps it is this phenomenon affecting Spring time rains, when they would be sorely needed, that was the cause.

I guess it is just one of those unsolved mysteries, I suppose.

CHASZ51 04-05-2018 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 203390)
Was hoping for a good soaking rain today, but no such luck. The strong front heading our way from the west is just breaking up and we are getting barely a drizzle. 0.03 inches so far, and unlikely to be much more.

I cannot figure out what breaks up those storm fronts before they get to us. They will reach just east of Panama City, and then just evaporate before they reach us. It's not like we have a mountain range west of us or anything but something in that area is obviously having an effect. I've actually seen strong rain bearing fronts break up to the west of us, then reform to the east of us dropping a lot of rain. I just cannot figure out the mechanism locally that would cause that to happen.

Well, I have heard some people claim the Magnetic Lab in Tallahassee is influencing the weather around here, but I'm not sure historical weather data prior to it's construction would support that theory. From what I have heard from folks, this area where we live used to be farm land, but it was all mostly abandoned which allowed the forest to grow back. The stream through our land, according to some folks we talked to, used to be crystal clear until tannin from forest growth tainted the color of the water. So something apparently caused the failure of farming attempts here. Perhaps it is this phenomenon affecting Spring time rains, when they would be sorely needed, that was the cause.

I guess it is just one of those unsolved mysteries, I suppose.

It always dies out before it makes it to us to the south. Did that yesterday.

No upper level support means no rain.

Rich Z 04-07-2018 12:35 PM

I guess we have upper level support today. I thought the predicted rain was going to be swinging north of us, as often happens, but apparently it dipped down to bring the rain to us. Got 0.30 inches so far and they are expecting from 1 to 2 inches all total.

The forecast was all over the map for the last 24 hours, even before I went to bed at 3am, the forecast was calling for 60% chance of rain, with maybe a quarter inch of accumulation.

I wonder how weather men and women get evaluated for raises and job retention? :thinkin:

Rich Z 04-07-2018 08:05 PM

Wound up with 0.53 inches of rain today. But looks like it's possible we may get more tonight.

CHASZ51 04-10-2018 07:16 AM

Got some last nite.

Rich Z 04-10-2018 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHASZ51 (Post 203457)
Got some last nite.

Who was she? :lmao:

Seriously, we got a tenth of an inch of rain this morning. But I'm still not sure how accurate that rain gauge I have is. Seems like it rained a whole lot more than that to me.

CHASZ51 04-11-2018 08:40 PM

Had 2" total since Sat.

Rich Z 04-11-2018 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHASZ51 (Post 203490)
Had 2" total since Sat.

You got more than we did. Basically just light showers here that didn't amount to much more than the half inch we got on Saturday.