The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suggestion Box (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   chatroom night (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102599)

mrr23 09-25-2014 05:55 PM

chatroom night

a club i used to be in and managed the website, we would have chatroom night once a week on thursday night 8:00pm. any thought about doing that here?

Rich Z 09-25-2014 07:09 PM

Sure, I'm up for it. How many people would be interested in such a thing here?

ironhorse 09-26-2014 05:29 AM

I'm in...:yesnod:

vett boy 09-26-2014 03:53 PM

8 is past my bed time but I'll drink some 5 hour energy :D

mrr23 09-26-2014 04:06 PM

It can be anytime. Just throwing out the idea. Get a general consensus on a day and time.

Rich Z 09-26-2014 08:33 PM

Might be a good idea to think about a general topic to discuss. That might get more people interested that way.

mrr23 09-26-2014 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 188786)
Might be a good idea to think about a general topic to discuss. That might get more people interested that way.

this is where sending a mass email through the forum to all members can get their attention. most of the time for us it was more just catching up, getting ready for that weekend meet, etc...

Rich Z 09-26-2014 10:20 PM

So I send a mass email to all members stating that there will be an open chat on such and such date and time. How many of those are going to have as their first thought, "What is the chat going to be about?"

It's the topic matter that will attract people, not simply the fact that a chat room is there to visit. The chat room has been here for a LONG time and never really been used although it has always been available to everyone. I know I sure wouldn't have any interest unless the topic matter was stated and it was something I was interested in.

Sorry to seem obtuse, but I've got chat systems on some of my other sites and seen how they just become disfunctional without some structure.

mrr23 09-27-2014 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 188793)
So I send a mass email to all members stating that there will be an open chat on such and such date and time. How many of those are going to have as their first thought, "What is the chat going to be about?"

It's the topic matter that will attract people, not simply the fact that a chat room is there to visit. The chat room has been here for a LONG time and never really been used although it has always been available to everyone. I know I sure wouldn't have any interest unless the topic matter was stated and it was something I was interested in.

Sorry to seem obtuse, but I've got chat systems on some of my other sites and seen how they just become disfunctional without some structure.

i agree with you. was just suggesting how to get it out other than just announcing it on the forum.

Rich Z 09-27-2014 10:44 AM

Normally the best draw is by featuring some relatively well known person in the industry to discuss something that they are well known for. But unfortunately, I don't believe we have anyone like that who frequents this site.

So if anyone has any suggestions about a topic they would like to ride herd on to draw participants, please let me know.

Otherwise if anyone would like to just set a periodic time and date for a general chat session, we can give that a whirl and just see what happens.

mrr23 09-27-2014 11:20 AM

I like general chat. I use it as a time to meet and catch up. Also use it to talk about the upcoming events for that weekend or month.

Rich Z 09-27-2014 11:41 AM

Using a chat in that manner could work if there were enough people logged in here at all times. Someone merely noting the symbol indicating that there is currently someone in chat could drop in and just strike up a conversation.

Unfortunately there are two problems. (1) There isn't very much traffic here and rarely more than a few registered members online at the same time. And (2) If someone logs into the chat and does not specifically log out by clicking on that red dot in the upper right hand corner, then it appears they are still in the chat even though they have logged completely off of the site. For instance, right now the symbol is showing a member as being in the chat that actually logged off about 3 hours ago.

So anyway, the chat system is there for whoever wants to use it. If you want to state days and times you will be there, feel free to do so. If someone wants to host specific topics, I can set up a separate forum where they can make note of these events so others might become aware of them.

I'll do what I can to help.

mrr23 09-27-2014 11:53 AM

#1 can be solved with a couple mass emails. First one announcing a trial for a set time and night for chatroom. This will garner some attention over time as it will show efforts by the admins of the site trying to draw traffic.

As time progresses, we can get those members to find guest hosts.

Right now I would just focus on a general chat. This way those clubs that have sections on here can promote their events personally as well.

Let's think big but start small.

Rich Z 09-27-2014 02:34 PM

Honestly, mass emails to all registered members is not a step to be taken lightly. There are over 4,000 registered members here. I would assume that at least 80 percent of those email addresses are no longer valid. So I would get a ton of messages bounced back to me as undeliverable, flooding my inbox. And some mail services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc) will make note of a large number of bounced emails and assume that the source (me) is a spam bot, then block the site and IP address)

Heck, if I remember correctly, one of the members requested that I set up the chat. So I did so. Far as I know, he never used it afterwards and has been long gone from here.

I really hate to sound negative to these kinds of suggestions, but I have been through a lot of this stuff already in the past and experienced first hand some negative consequences that aren't readily apparent beforehand. I certainly don't know what is needed to turn this site around, but I have seen things that could quite likely make matters worse.

So if someone wants to take the bull by the horns and try to drum up enthusiasm and participation in the chat room, then by all means, give it a whirl. If I feel the participation in the chat is robust enough to be a selling point to invite long absent members back, then I will consider bearing up under the headaches that would be caused by a mass emailing.

mrr23 09-27-2014 03:34 PM

been awhile since i managed a vbulletin site, but does it show you a list of the last visitors in the past 24+ hours in the admin panel? i have always used phpbb myself on my boards. i know it shows at the bottom of the board, but in the admin panel it might list their email address with it? if so, you can start with those.

mrr23 10-01-2014 09:04 PM

who wants to try this tomorrow night at 8pm?

Rich Z 10-01-2014 09:17 PM

If I remember, I'm game.

Got any topics in mind to throw around?

mrr23 10-02-2014 07:13 AM

currently i just want to meet people and go from there. maybe discuss any events happening in the areas. even dicuss this website and what we can do to garner more attention.

mrr23 10-02-2014 06:01 PM

crap i cannot make this tonight. i forgot about a 7 pm appointment i have. my apologies for this. if i make it back and someone is there, i'll stop in.

Rich Z 10-02-2014 07:58 PM

That's OK. If I had my arm twisted to make a wager, I would have bet it would have been only you and I in there talking.

vett boy 10-03-2014 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 188922)
That's OK. If I had my arm twisted to make a wager, I would have bet it would have been only you and I in there talking.

Your right ,I missed logging in :D

mrr23 10-03-2014 10:23 PM

all it takes is two.

mrr23 10-07-2014 09:59 AM

Will give this another go this thursday.

mrr23 10-09-2014 07:59 PM

going in now.

mrr23 10-09-2014 08:32 PM

gave it 30 minutes. try it again another night

Rich Z 10-09-2014 09:16 PM

Sorry, I had something else to do at that time......

mrr23 10-10-2014 07:43 AM

no problem.

mrr23 10-16-2014 10:09 AM

Try again tonight?

Rich Z 10-16-2014 10:29 AM

Hopefully I'll remember. At least it's getting dark earlier so I won't be working out in the yard at that time.

To be honest, the chat system here has never really had any kind of workout from me nor the rest of the members.

mrr23 10-16-2014 07:31 PM

time to test it out

Rich Z 10-16-2014 07:59 PM

OK, I'm going in......

mrr23 10-16-2014 08:05 PM

two in so far. come join us

Rich Z 10-16-2014 09:03 PM

Storing the chat log here until I can figure out where best to put it later...

Quote:

Welcome! You have entered [The Lobby] at 3:59 pm
[Rich Z] 4:00 pm: Anyone home?
[Rich Z] 4:01 pm: Looks like the clock is off for this module. Says it is 4:00pm right now....
[] 4:03 pm: yep noticed that too
[Rich Z] 4:03 pm: Have to look to see if there are any admin options that need to be changed.
[] 4:03 pm: so how do dyou like efilive?
[] 4:04 pm: i've only used hptuners
[Rich Z] 4:04 pm: I already had to increase the font size as the text was pretty small on my screen.
[] 4:04 pm: seems about the same
[Rich Z] 4:04 pm: EFIlive seems fine for what I want to do with it, but in some ways HPtuners might be a bit more intuitive with the layout. But I
[Rich Z] 4:05 pm: But I'm not an expert by any means.
[] 4:06 pm: i looked at both when i purchased hptuners. looked easier to use
[Rich Z] 4:07 pm: Yeah, I had both for a while. HPtuners management seemed hard to get along with, though.
[Rich Z] 4:07 pm: When a shop blew up my PCM (several times) EFILive gave me a new license immediately when I told them.
[] 4:07 pm: car getting better with idle tuning you've been doing?
[] 4:07 pm: that was nice of them
[Rich Z] 4:07 pm: HPTuners wouldn't do a thing for me. So that pretty much sold me on EFIlive.
[] 4:08 pm: weird if you flashed a pcm with your original vin shouldn't ahve neededto use more credits
[Rich Z] 4:08 pm: Haven't done anything the last few days as I was over in Palm Coast with my wife visiting some of her relatives.
[Rich Z] 4:09 pm: I guess the shop didn't know how to do that. Which doesn't surprise me in the least.
[Rich Z] 4:10 pm: How much have you used HPtuners?
[Rich Z] 4:11 pm: Testing test color change...
[Rich Z] 4:11 pm: Ouch!
[] 4:11 pm: yeah not a good contrast
[Rich Z] 4:12 pm: Now trying something else...
[] 4:12 pm: i mainly used it on my formula.
[] 4:12 pm: better
[] 4:12 pm: did some driveability tuning for other people.
[Rich Z] 4:12 pm: I'm planning on taking a look at throttle response improvements to see what I can do.
[] 4:13 pm: got really good with idle tuning
[] 4:13 pm: did you remove the throttle delay
[Rich Z] 4:13 pm: It's not bad, but I think it can be sharpened up a bit.
[Rich Z] 4:13 pm: Don't remember seeing anything on throttle delay.
[] 4:15 pm: i read about it somewhere. let me see if i can find it on my file
[Rich Z] 4:15 pm: It's fine when the revs get high, but I want it to kick in more midrange. I've been playing around with PE (power enrichment) sort of like the fuel squirter on a carburetor.
[Rich Z] 4:16 pm: At least I think that is what it is the programmable equivalent of...
[Rich Z] 4:17 pm: :hypno:
[Rich Z] 4:17 pm: :hypno::hypno::hypno::hypno:
[Rich Z] 4:18 pm: I guess filling a screen with those would drive people nuts eventually. :)
[] 4:18 pm: in hp it's called throttle follower
[] 4:18 pm: yep
[Rich Z] 4:18 pm: Oh yeah, I did look at that. There was another option too, that I can
[Rich Z] 4:18 pm: That I can't remember the name off hand.
[] 4:18 pm: throttle follower delay vs speed (in gear)
[Rich Z] 4:19 pm: I'm making a note of that right now. Might take a look at the tune later tonight to try tomorrow.
[Rich Z] 4:20 pm: Some of those options can fry the PCM though, so I'll have to be careful.
[] 4:22 pm: throttle cracker is the other one
[Rich Z] 4:22 pm: Ah, yes, that is it. I know I looked at them during the major tuning stuff I was gettign into, but I don't think I did anything with them at the time. Thanks for looking them up for me.
[] 4:23 pm: no problem
[Rich Z] 4:23 pm: Hmm, the chat room icon is only showing one person in the chat room. Something else I need to look into, I guess.
[] 4:24 pm: if you look from the board instead of the chat box it says two
[Rich Z] 4:24 pm: Ah, I opened up a new window and yes, it is showing 2 people here. Wonder if anyone else will jump in?
[Rich Z] 4:24 pm: Two others are logged as being logged in....
[] 4:25 pm: yeah maybe if they see it and choose to
[Rich Z] 4:26 pm: Perhaps I need to set up some sort of announcement about this where it can be highly visible. It's disconcerting to me that even with what little is posted, so few actually READ anything, it appears.
[] 4:26 pm: either way it'll start off slow but keep at it then people will start noticing
[Rich Z] 4:26 pm: Hope you don't get frustrated easily....
[Rich Z] 4:27 pm: So what's the latest project(s) you are working on?
[] 4:28 pm: 3 mont old girl
[] 4:28 pm: just found the electronic throttle tab
[Rich Z] 4:28 pm: Yours?
[] 4:28 pm: yes mine
[] 4:28 pm: july 18th she was born
[] 4:29 pm: desired throttle area
[] 4:29 pm: that one comes with the warning if you touch you fry the pcm possibly
[Rich Z] 4:29 pm: How old are you, if you don't mind my asking? It seems most corvette owners tend to be getting up there in years.
[] 4:29 pm: 46
[Rich Z] 4:29 pm: Yeah, I had to adjust the throttle area during my tuning, as the throttle body is larger than stock.
[] 4:30 pm: my abs set off the c1255 code of death
[Rich Z] 4:30 pm: Heck, I'm 64.
[] 4:30 pm: trying to find a way to get into the bcm to delete the code so it will turn the dash lights off
[Rich Z] 4:30 pm: Getting "reduced engine power"?
[] 4:30 pm: no
[] 4:31 pm: c1255 is internal malfunction of the abs module
[] 4:31 pm: basically the microprocessor is dead
[Rich Z] 4:31 pm: You might need a Tech II for that.
[] 4:31 pm: 97-00 are non repairable
[] 4:31 pm: thought about that if the tech II can delte the RPO for ABS
[] 4:31 pm: no one has an answer for that
[Rich Z] 4:32 pm: Evidently the Tech II has tuning capability like hptuners, but covers a LOT more modules and tables.
[Rich Z] 4:33 pm: Well, with an optional $$ program, of course. At least that is what I was told by a guy using a Tech II to try to tune my car.
[] 4:34 pm: i know you can upload updates from GM. wasn't aware you could go in and play with the pcm tables like tuning software
[Rich Z] 4:35 pm: Yeah, when my car was at South Georgia Corvette, the guy tuning my car was a retired GM engineer and that was what he was using to tune it. Didn't do a good job, though, but I don't think it was the equipment's fault.
[] 4:36 pm: http://www.ebay.com/gds/GM-TECH-2-Di...8110787/g.html
[Rich Z] 4:38 pm: Interesting. Sounds like the imports would be well worth staying away from.
[Rich Z] 4:38 pm: Would be nice to have one, though.
[Rich Z] 4:40 pm: You have to wonder how many other tables both hptuners and efilive have tapped into but not included in their products.
[] 4:41 pm: i know that hptuner can splice a 4l80 transmission tables into your file
[] 4:41 pm: you send them your file and they do it for you
[Rich Z] 4:42 pm: Do you need to do a full load to the PCM or just a new calibration load?
[] 4:43 pm: i would think a rewrite
[] 4:43 pm: never got to that point with my formula
[Rich Z] 4:44 pm: Well, I wonder if when you capture a tune if you are also capturing ALL the tables?
[Rich Z] 4:44 pm: One thing that did get me frustrated with efilive is that their forum is rather harsh on a newbie. Most of the documentation files are out of date and obsolete.
[] 4:44 pm: i would think so. especially if you do a full rewrite
[Rich Z] 4:46 pm: Never done a full rewrite myself, but I would be curious to see how large the file being transferred is compared to a calibration load.
[] 4:46 pm: usually a cal load inly rewrites tha changed tables
[] 4:46 pm: full rewrite takes longer
[Rich Z] 4:47 pm: Not sure that is the case with efilive. Every time I do a calibration load, the file transfer is the same size. And, of course, the tables changed are pretty much always different each time.
[] 4:50 pm: changing a value doesn't necessarily change the file size
[Rich Z] 4:51 pm: I would think that if you changed 2 tables one time, then 10 tables the next, then if only the changed tables were being written to the PCM, then the file size would have to be different. Wouldn't you think that would be the case?
[] 4:52 pm: do you save each file you change?
[] 4:53 pm: i just looked at 6 files from my 408 motor. they are all the same file size of 453kb
[Rich Z] 4:54 pm: Yes. And I just took a look at them. File sizes vary from 475K to 478K. So there appears to be a MINIMUM file size for each tune file, regardless of the number of tables changed.
[] 4:55 pm: hmm looked at three files rom my friends car. they are all the same size
[Rich Z] 4:56 pm: Next time I load a tune I'll try to remember to pay attention to the file size actually being loaded to the PCM. Now you've got me curious.....
[] 4:57 pm: my stock file is 465k a stock file from another vette with different gears is 457k
[Rich Z] 4:58 pm: Kind of scary thinking about how much about this stuff we really don't know...
[] 4:58 pm: yeah
[] 4:58 pm: a tuner guy i knew used hexdecimal tables
[] 4:59 pm: i think a GM program
[] 4:59 pm: he used t ogbe on GM race team
[Rich Z] 5:00 pm: Heck a LONG while back I used to do assembler coding on computers. But that was back in the Z80 processor days.
[] 5:00 pm: well time for me to leave the internet world
[] 5:00 pm: spend time with the wife and baby
[Rich Z] 5:00 pm: Yeah, same here. Too bad no one else chimed in. Maybe next time. Thanks for giving it a shot, though...
[Rich Z] 5:01 pm: I'm going to try to save this session and maybe create a section to keep a log to maybe spark some more interest.
[] 5:01 pm: just keep plugging away and more will come. just got to keep being active
[] 5:01 pm: wonder what the save button dies
[] 5:01 pm: does
[] 5:02 pm: anyways talk more next time
[The Lobby]: has left at 5:02 pm
[Rich Z] 5:02 pm: Hah, with over 11,000 posts here, I think I've been giving a good try. :) Later..

mrr23 10-17-2014 08:28 AM

was a nice night chatting away.

Rich Z 10-17-2014 11:46 AM

To answer what the "save" button does, it captures the chat session in text format so you can cut and paste it into a file.

Speaking of our chat, been looking into the Throttle Follower tables and I'm not sure it really does what we were thinking it does. I believe it controls the air flow via the throttle body plate AFTER the accelerator pedal is let off of. So basically it has more to do with deceleration than acceleration.

But I did make some mods to the TF table and the multiplier and will load that tune today and take the car for a spin just to see what it does.

Thanks....

mrr23 10-17-2014 09:00 PM

I found some more stuff on throttle response tuning. I'll move it to your tuning thread you have going.

Rich Z 10-17-2014 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrr23 (Post 189080)
I found some more stuff on throttle response tuning. I'll move it to your tuning thread you have going.

Thanks!

mrr23 10-23-2014 05:42 PM

wanna go for another round?

Rich Z 10-24-2014 05:22 PM

Sorry, been out of town the last few days visiting my mom near Englewood. Just got back home a little while ago. Maybe next time....

I don't suppose anyone else joined you in the chat room..... :shrug01:

mrr23 10-26-2014 03:12 PM

i didn't make it either