The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Legal Issues (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Do Red Light Cameras Really Work? (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14373)

Z06 Rocket 03-21-2008 02:20 AM

Do Red Light Cameras Really Work?

Quote:

Red light cameras too good for their own good?
Some cities rethink devices as drivers pay heed, reducing fine revenue
Story in link below:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23710970

Gannet 03-21-2008 06:21 AM

There's a fair amount of evidence that redlight cameras actually increase accidents. Typically as revenues go down, cities will shorten the yellow light, trying to "force" more violations. You get more people locking up their brakes, and getting rear-ended. Your tax dollars at work.

I have a simple solution to this: no government agency should be allowed to keep any proceeds from law enforcement. No fines, fees, forfeitures, etc. The money should be sent up the chain or down, and further stipulated that no indirect benefit should accrue (no friendly back-scrubbing). Govenment is not supposed to be a business.

Rich Z 03-21-2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gannet (Post 54738)
I have a simple solution to this: no government agency should be allowed to keep any proceeds from law enforcement. No fines, fees, forfeitures, etc. The money should be sent up the chain or down, and further stipulated that no indirect benefit should accrue (no friendly back-scrubbing). Govenment is not supposed to be a business.

That's actually a pretty darn good idea. Which should also include forfeitures. It turns law enforcement into appearing to be mercenaries, able to keep the booty they plunder. They really shouldn't have this kind of incentive to influence how they enforce the laws.

Gannet 03-21-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 54801)
That's actually a pretty darn good idea. Which should also include forfeitures. It turns law enforcement into appearing to be mercenaries, able to keep the booty they plunder. They really shouldn't have this kind of incentive to influence how they enforce the laws.

That is exactly right. It is a corrupting influence. They are supposed to be enforcing the laws for the benefit of the people, not for themselves.

Melsy 03-22-2008 10:22 AM

Will those license plate sprays or specially designed covers foil these camera's?:banghead:

Shadow 03-22-2008 10:51 AM

There's "documentation" on both sides of the coin to prove and disprove thta the sprays and covers work or don't.

Here's the problem. In Florida it's ILLEGAL to put a cover over your plate that deforms, disguises, obscures, etal, any portion of the plate. Some people have actually received citations for simply having a border plate that covered part of the tag (the "florida" at the bottom, etc).

Of course, if I were the officers supervisor, we'd be having a little come to Jesus party (I'd get to play Jesus:rofl1:) about his role in law enforcement and life expetancy on my squad:lmao:

Regardless, it's illegal.

Same goes for the spray. The biggest issue with the spray is proving it;)

I'd opt for (and if we get these damned things, I will!) the spray.....

Ms. AntiVenom 03-22-2008 11:12 AM

Our friend got a ticket from something like that, he got off with "what was I doing in miami @6:30 am on christmas day .... driving an audi???

this man lives here, his whole family is here, and he is a true blue corvette man

Gannet 03-22-2008 01:31 PM

Why doesn't it surprise me that someone driving at 6:30 AM Christmas morning, in Miami, in an Audi, is running red lights? :lmao::lmao:

Shadow 03-22-2008 04:31 PM

It depends on how legislature sets the program up? If they cite the owner vs. the driver, you're screwed and it becomes another revenue generator from our whiney assed government:thumbsdown:

If they cite the driver, then they'll need to have equipment (it's out there) to photo not only the car but the driver as well.

Then it's a matter of who was the driver?

Melsy 03-23-2008 09:38 AM

The other point is that Lockheed-Martin seems to be the big supplier of this stuff and gets to keep a sizable portion of the fine. I just love the smell of politics in the morning!!%$#%$%$#:banghead: