The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Z06Fever! (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Opinions of the new GY2's (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52190)

ironhorse 11-09-2010 05:24 AM

Opinions of the new GY2's

I need some feed back about the new Goodyear GY2 tires?...My Z needs tirers and I was reading about the new GY2 but want some input of real world use...:shrug01:

JT

85vette 11-09-2010 06:51 AM

I'd like to hear opinions also. I have 185/35/18 Maxxis Victra MA Z1's on my CTS V and they stick pretty good, but I'm told I'll be lucky to get 15-18K miles out of them.

navy2kcoupe 11-09-2010 08:40 AM

I hear what you mean about the short mileage. My son in law has a Mazda 6 with
low profile, soft rubber tires, and they don't last him long at all. They're the recommended
tire (tyre for our UK brothers ;)) for his car and THEY AIN'T CHEAP! Living in Massachusetts
and having the Vette "live" in Florida makes my tires last (calendar wise) quite awhile,
but mileage wise...........not so long. That's why I'm always glad to see posts on tire
recommendations here. I read them all and file them away upstairs for when I have to
replace mine. I've got Falken tires on there right now, and they are noisier than
the Boston subway system, and believe me, THAT'S noisy. Something else WILL be
going on there when the time comes. I don't push my car anywhere close to the limit,
so I'm gonna be looking for a quieter tire that will give me more mileage. Sure is gonna
be interesting deciding which ones to buy. Let us know what you get, and how they
"work" after you've got some miles on them.
Andy :wavey:

LS2POWA 11-09-2010 07:11 PM

The F1 G2 Tires?

ironhorse 11-10-2010 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS2POWA (Post 125530)
The F1 G2 Tires?

That's why I asked?:shrug01:

LS2POWA 11-10-2010 06:31 PM

Sorry never seen them put as GY2.

The F1 G2 are factory on my 11 GT500...and for a "R" compound tire it is absolute garbage. Come tax return these things are coming off either for another set of BFG KDW2s or Nitto Invos. Didnt like the GYs on the 07 C6, had them off in months for the BFG's never had an issue until I was pushing over 600 to the wheels.

Ive done the break in stuff with them, and Ive even driven them hard enough to heat them up and they still dont stick to the street. They feel like bald tires in dry heat, havent really driven in the rain with them.

Frankie2blue 01-17-2012 09:25 AM

I had considered these but heard a lot of bad stuff, even from dealers on these. I hated my original GY's that came with the car so I finally went with the Michelin PS2 ZP tires. A little more costly but they are quite an improvement over the OEMs.

shakedown067 01-18-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue (Post 151630)
I had considered these but heard a lot of bad stuff, even from dealers on these. I hated my original GY's that came with the car so I finally went with the Michelin PS2 ZP tires. A little more costly but they are quite an improvement over the OEMs.

The Michelin PS2s are BY FAR the best tire I've ever driven on. Doesn't help I simply HATE goodyears. Three sets over three different cars, and they were all crap. They grip well, but suck it in every other department.

Another thing to look at would be Corvette Racing. They could barely compete with the Goodyears. Switched to Michelins and it's been a different story. Race on Sunday, sale on Monday. Come to think of it, I don't think any team in the ALMS runs goodyears any more. On that note, I have been impressed with how well Dunlop has improved. They make one of the best street autocross tires...of course not in Corvette sizes.

mickeystoysz16 01-18-2012 07:25 PM

Go with the Michellin Pilot Sport II's :thumbsup: