The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance Tuning (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   to tune or not to tune (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2416)

sglfladad 04-10-2007 07:13 AM

to tune or not to tune

90 coupe. all original (except magnaflow cat back and K&N air filter. Not quite as fast as i'd like. can't afford a new c6 (yet).

Been thinking about a "chip".

I'm on the fence about major mods since the car is in such good shape with all original.

Any suggestions regarding bolt on that will help speed her up? torque/hp..

or minor mods..?

chris308 04-10-2007 09:58 AM

have you thought about finishing up the exhaust system, headers and hiflow cats and xpipe? Just grabbing straws here since i have no idea what the parts market is like for the 90's.

RevXtreme 1 04-10-2007 10:39 AM

On a 90 a tune will probably be a good improvment, but do the headers/etc. like mentioned above first.:thumbsup:

sglfladad 04-10-2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevXtreme 1
On a 90 a tune will probably be a good improvment, but do the headers/etc. like mentioned above first.:thumbsup:

any suggestions on headers and exhaust? I've read a few posts along the way that say the stock headers are pretty good.

Rich Z 04-10-2007 01:13 PM

What rearend ratio do you have? Very often a very good seat of the pants improvement can be had simply by stiffening up the gear ratio. Of course gas mileage will suffer on the highway with the higher rpms that result.

sglfladad 04-10-2007 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z
What rearend ratio do you have? Very often a very good seat of the pants improvement can be had simply by stiffening up the gear ratio. Of course gas mileage will suffer on the highway with the higher rpms that result.

well, had to wait for my son to get home. I tried to get under the car and get the rearend specs, but i'm too big :)

So, I found that I have a 2.59 gear ratio.

I'm not too concerned with mileage, as this isn't a daily driver etc..

Looks like a big job to change it out..??

Rich Z 04-10-2007 04:25 PM

Probably no more of a job than putting headers on would be. But neither of them are something I would want to do myself. There are several very good shops around Tampa, so call around and see what the cost would be. AntiVenom is an advertiser here (their ad is over in the left hand column), located over in Seffner. Greg will treat you right.

98 softtail 04-15-2007 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sglfladad
well, had to wait for my son to get home. I tried to get under the car and get the rearend specs, but i'm too big :)

So, I found that I have a 2.59 gear ratio.

I'm not too concerned with mileage, as this isn't a daily driver etc..

Looks like a big job to change it out..??

I am guessing here but from the gearing is sounds like you have an Auto. If you can find a rear axle with anything in the 3:xx range you will feel more ass in the gas. Since mpg is not an issue, you should look for the highest gear you can find to fit your budget. However, don't get too wild on this, stay in the high 3's and you will get a nice balance.

Joe B.

sglfladad 04-16-2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98 softtail
I am guessing here but from the gearing is sounds like you have an Auto. If you can find a rear axle with anything in the 3:xx range you will feel more ass in the gas. Since mpg is not an issue, you should look for the highest gear you can find to fit your budget. However, don't get too wild on this, stay in the high 3's and you will get a nice balance.

Joe B.

I've been talked down to 3.54 and I'm ok with that.

What about torque converter. I've had recommendation to go with a 3200-3500 torque converter... too much? Stay stock?

Also, a question about headers.

Hooker versus a company called Melrose. The headers look nice, but looks aint everything, right?

Rich Z 04-16-2007 06:41 PM

With the headers, get stainless, and have them ceramic coated if they don't come that way. :thumbsup: