The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance Tuning (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Boost Coming! (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58096)

Sub-Zero 04-19-2011 01:15 PM

Boost Coming!

Well I didn't plan on doing anything but bolt-ons but I got a deal on a STS turbo setup. It won't be soon but I can't wait to see what it will do.

Rich Z 04-19-2011 03:36 PM

:hehehe: Yeah man.... You've got the bug BAD! :hehehe:

Sub-Zero 04-19-2011 04:42 PM

$2,600. I couldn't pass it up:crazy03:

Rich Z 04-19-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sub-Zero (Post 135776)
$2,600. I couldn't pass it up:crazy03:

:eek:

Can't say that I blame you. That is an incredible price! :thumbsup:

If you don't mind a suggestion.... Get all the pipes Jet Hot coated. Inside and out. I don't know if STS made any improvements on the coating they used when I got my system, but the pipes are just mild steel, and the coating they used, well, it's obviously not the best in the world. There is some rusting evident. Also pull the housings off of the turbos and get them coated inside and out.

Sub-Zero 04-19-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 135804)
:eek:

Can't say that I blame you. That is an incredible price! :thumbsup:

If you don't mind a suggestion.... Get all the pipes Jet Hot coated. Inside and out. I don't know if STS made any improvements on the coating they used when I got my system, but the pipes are just mild steel, and the coating they used, well, it's obviously not the best in the world. There is some rusting evident. Also pull the housings off of the turbos and get them coated inside and out.

Thanks, all the piping will be re-coated and the turbos are at the turbo shop getting checked out and the will be jet coated. It was cheap because it needs the oil pumps, oil lines and misc. stuff. I will have about 5k installed in it.

Rich Z 04-19-2011 08:26 PM

I understand that the new systems come with two oil scavenge pumps now. When I got my system they use a single pump, which seems to work fine.

I assume the system is used then? Hopefully the turbos are OK. I recently had mine rebuilt as the impeller shafts had play in them. Plus I needed to go to larger housings with the new engine.

You'll enjoy the hell out of it when you get that installed in your car... :thumbsup: Turbos give a real interesting surge of power when they spool up under load.

Sub-Zero 04-19-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 135806)
I understand that the new systems come with two oil scavenge pumps now. When I got my system they use a single pump, which seems to work fine.

I assume the system is used then? Hopefully the turbos are OK. I recently had mine rebuilt as the impeller shafts had play in them. Plus I needed to go to larger housings with the new engine.

You'll enjoy the hell out of it when you get that installed in your car... :thumbsup: Turbos give a real interesting surge of power when they spool up under load.

The turbos are getting rebuilt. Planned $650 for this. Everything will be like new when I install it. Planning just 6psi.

Rich Z 04-21-2011 09:29 AM

6psi is probably the highest you should go on the stock LS7. I think GM was trying to tell us something when they decided against using the LS7 block as the base for the LS9 engine and went with the LS3 block instead.

Still, 6psi will give you an acceptable amount of boost. :thumbsup:

Sub-Zero 04-21-2011 09:37 AM

I agree. I will keep the boost low.