The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Maintenance, Mods, & Tips (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Lookin for a little charity!! (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246)

c5inparadise 06-01-2006 09:14 AM

Lookin for a little charity!!

I bought cross drilled and slotted rotors awhile ago, but don't have the mechanical aptitude to install them. I was going to attempt the job using misc. how-to write ups, but I just don't have the confidence. I'd hate to start the job and get stuck. I'd rather learn how to do stuff to my vette rather than always relying on a shop. If there is anyone near Palmetto, or within an hour or so who could help me? I could sure use someone watching my back. Did I mention beer and pizza is on me!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

exile 06-01-2006 09:36 AM

Wish I had the confidence to help you. I think the rotors are a snap, it's mess'in with the calipers that worries me. I think the job for anyone who has gone threw it is a cake walk, but I'm with you, I'd want someone with experience watching my back. Let me know if you get a taker, I'd like to watch the process too. I'm just down the road from you:wavey: ..........Tom

c5inparadise 06-01-2006 10:06 AM

If I can get some help, I'll be sure to let you know. As far as I can decipher from the write-ups I've seen, the calipers need to be moved out of the way, not removed, during the install of the rotors. Therefore, there is no need to bleed the brake lines, which I would guess is a PITA.

Rich Z 06-01-2006 12:46 PM

Yeah, I'm with you. Getting a major "oopsie" with the brakes because you forgot something would make for a thrilling ride I would guess. Few things make you hair stand on end on the back of your neck like hitting the brake pedal and it goes to the floor! :eek:

16again 06-01-2006 02:01 PM

I have no idea where Palmetto Florida is, but i'm located in Boynton Beach (Palm Beach County). If your local, i'm off tomorrow your welcome to come over and i'll give you a hand. It's really very easy, the worst part is removing the wheels.
Bob

c5inparadise 06-01-2006 02:44 PM

I really appreciate the offer but I'm 3 1/2 hours from you. Palmetto is in between St. Pete and Sarasota. I know beggars shouldn't be choosy, but I'm hoping someone will chime in a bit closer. Thanks again.:thumbsup:

16again 06-01-2006 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c5inparadise
I really appreciate the offer but I'm 3 1/2 hours from you. Palmetto is in between St. Pete and Sarasota. I know beggars shouldn't be choosy, but I'm hoping someone will chime in a bit closer. Thanks again.:thumbsup:

Well that's a road trip. :D Offer stands if you don't find anyone locally. :thumbsup:

Bruc5e 06-01-2006 08:21 PM

I'll be glad to help, but the drive to Daytona Beach is not any closer. I put new ceramic pads all around and new shocks on at Christmas time, didn't do the disc, but who know, fathers day is coming up .....:wavey:

exile 06-01-2006 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruc5e
I'll be glad to help, but the drive to Daytona Beach is not any closer. I put new ceramic pads all around and new shocks on at Christmas time, didn't do the disc, but who know, fathers day is coming up .....:wavey:

Hi Bruce:wavey: :wavey:

FourG63 97GST 06-01-2006 09:06 PM

replacing rotors is prolly 5-7mins per side(with air tools and lift anyway).
I trying to think what can be screwed up doing rotors :shrug01:
maybe cross threading putting the calipers back on. so just take your time.
Its 2 bolts to remove the caliper, 2 to remove the caliper brakes, remove rotor. reinstall

difficulty scale of 1-10. 1 being changing oil, 10 being changing clutch.
I'll rate it like a 2.5, maybe a 3 for it being the 1st time.

I say have at it. tools I recommend, breaker bar and something to re-compress the pistons