The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Maintenance, Mods, & Tips (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   New headers installed yesterday.... (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10223)

THOR 12-08-2007 11:24 PM

New headers installed yesterday....

I finally got my jet coated Melrose headers installed yesterday along with an insulated 1/4" tunnel plate by Elite Engineering and wind deflector. It was a very long day but John at Auto XTC gave me his usual awesome service. I can't say enough about thse guys. Even Larry (the owner) and his son Brad pitched in to speed things along.
I was most impressed with the fit and finish of the headers, long tubes and X-pipe. The sound was a nice throaty rumble and once the exhaust gets changed, it should be awesome notes to the ears!!
The tunnel plate really stiffens the body and I really like the way the vette feels tighter all the way around. I hope the insulation part of the tunnel plate helps cut down the console heat. Time will tell. I was amazed how wimpy the oem tunnel plate was compared to the Elite product. It's twice as thick now.
I've included a few pics from yesterday's adventure. I hope you like them.

chris308 12-08-2007 11:27 PM

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kap142 12-09-2007 03:27 AM

WOW, what a great looking system. Looks heavy duty all the way. Gotta hear it next time we're together.:thumbsup:

Ken

Qman 12-09-2007 08:07 AM

mufflers

what did you do for mufflers?

Shadow 12-09-2007 08:36 AM

Beautiful!:thumbsup:

ynkedad 12-09-2007 08:48 AM

Way cool.

Your undercarriage is way to clean!!!:hehehe:
Please keep us posted on the difference in heat within the center console:thumbsup:

THOR 12-09-2007 09:17 AM

Thanks Guys for the compliments.
I've been thinking and researching really hard for a different exhaust to complement the Melrose headers. I wanted to hear the headers alone with the stock exhaust to see if that's the sound I want and then retune the car after 100 miles and 15 starts and stops. Melrose recommends this to allow the computer to relearn and adapt to new hardware. Anyway, I've come up with two exhaust plans: remove oem exhaust and replace with oem NPP bi-mode exhaust ultilizing Pipedreams's NPP in a Box controller for retrofitted bi-mode systems. B&B also makes a Fusion system with bimode but I think it'll be too loud and drone big time. It is an absolutely drop dead polished system though. The other option would be to do cut outs at the pre-muffler and install butterfly valves controlled with a remote switch. I don't care for the sissy tips I have now and that would mean cutting off current tips and welding on new ones. I am strongly leaning to NPP with wireless controller from Pipedreams. I 'll let you know how it goes.

Rich Z 12-09-2007 10:17 AM

:thumbsup: Good looking exhaust! :thumbsup:

RevXtreme 1 12-09-2007 11:06 AM

Nice clean install!

I would go w/the NPP so you have a choice depending on your mood.:thumbsup:

SteveK 12-09-2007 12:14 PM

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Looks great Mark.