The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   On The Road in Florida (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Mt. Dora - February 2? (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12465)

Rich Z 01-31-2008 12:01 AM

Mt. Dora - February 2?

Hey, February 2nd is Connie's birthday and when I asked her what she wanted to do, she said she would like to go looking for antiques in Mt. Dora that day. So that's our game plan. Anyone interested in meeting up there for a bit? We may wind up spending the night locally and driving back home on Sunday, but no firm plans about anything.

ynkedad 01-31-2008 08:29 AM

:willy_nilly:..Normally we'd jump at the chance to hook up with ya's Rich, but we're getting ready for our trip to Louisiana on Monday.

Rich Z 01-31-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ynkedad (Post 49978)
:willy_nilly:..Normally we'd jump at the chance to hook up with ya's Rich, but we're getting ready for our trip to Louisiana on Monday.

When will you be passing through Tallahassee on your way back? Maybe we could meet up if it's not sometime when we have workers here.....

Have a good trip!

2Vettes 01-31-2008 08:17 PM

You know, I've never been there and have wanted to go, but unfortunately, this weekend is not an option.....let us know what you thought of it. And, an early
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...e/misc/2-1.gif to Connie!!

ynkedad 02-01-2008 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 50012)
When will you be passing through Tallahassee on your way back? Maybe we could meet up if it's not sometime when we have workers here.....

Have a good trip!

Due to the limited time frame, we're Flying.:rolleyes:

ynkedad 02-01-2008 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Vettes (Post 50033)
You know, I've never been there and have wanted to go, but unfortunately, this weekend is not an option.....let us know what you thought of it. And, an early
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...e/misc/2-1.gif to Connie!!

:iagree:..HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Connie.:dancer01:

TxMomma 02-02-2008 07:39 AM

:birthday::party: CONNIE

Rich Z 02-02-2008 11:14 PM

Well, that didn't go as planned...... :shrug01:

The drive down to Mt. Dora was pretty uneventful, but as we got into the neighborhood, traffic picked up quite a bit. Detour signs were out and there was signs saying "Shuttle to festival"....... Hmm........ Come to find out that they were holding some sort of art festival in downtown Mt. Dora TODAY! Yikes! Parking was pretty much nonexistant, and from what I could see the entreprenurial spirit was alive and well in Mt. Dora. Home owners were charging people to park in their yard.

Heck with this. Not really interested in a day being elbow to elbow with a few thousand people. So we grabbed a road out of town and took rt. 441 to Renningers to go through the antique shops there. MUCH less crowded.

We then headed to Inverness and ate at the Outback there and then cruised on home. Nothing at all like we had planned, but it turned out to be a nice day anyway. At least I got Connie out for a while so she wouldn't just work all day on her birthday.

Probably just as well that we couldn't connect with anyone to meet up in Mt. Dora, because I don't think we could have met up anyway. This was NOT the weekend to be there. Unless you are into art festivals, of course.

Oh well. Better luck next time. We REALLY should check around to make sure there isn't anything special going on like that at our destination town. For the most part, all it does is to increase the traffic 10 fold there, and make parking a real pain in the butt.

Oh yeah! I did get to try out my new Valentine 1 radar detector. More on that in the other relevant thread....

CREWZIN 02-03-2008 01:26 PM

Well Rich, you know my story from the other thread about Mt. Dora. My B'Day is tomorrow with nothing to spectacular planned. Outback in Inverness for dinner and then a ride over to Crystal River where there's a brand new (1st time) Cruise-In at a place called POPZ Deli & Bakery (across from the CR airport). From 4 to 8 with 10% discount for all cruisers. Fresh homemade baked pasteries so we'll pick up some B'Day dessert there. :ack2:

Rich Z 02-03-2008 01:42 PM

Darn! Sounds like you guys have similar tastes like us guys! We have to meet up sometime for an excursion.

We used to go to Crystal River quite frequently to meet up with friends there years ago, but both are gone now. Matter of fact, the guy who got me interested in Corvettes was one of them. His wife died of cancer and he wound up buying a Corvette when a salesman caught him with his resistance low. He sent me pics and that got me to thinking..... He used to own the A1 Pawn shop right in Crystal River. Did a lot of FFL gun transfers for me. He later moved to Brazil, caught some bug, and died there.

We're planning on coming down to the Crystal River show if we can get around to filling out the paper work. Probably will just cruise down in the morning and then cruise on back home after the show. Probably stop for dinner somewhere along the way. We've eaten at Charlie's once and the food was pretty decent, so that might be on the agenda.

Oh yeah! Happy Birthday! :birthday: