The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Maintenance, Mods, & Tips (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Another Battery/Alternator question. (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19463)

ynkedad 08-30-2008 09:37 PM

Another Battery/Alternator question.

I've noticed recently that my battery gauge dips below 12 volts and sometimes even lower, while at a light or parked with the motor running.

Notes: (1)The battery is less than 2 months old.
(2)I've only noticed it happening when the A/C is running and the stereo is turned up a smidge above TOO LOUD:D.
(3)I have an after market stereo in the car which consists of.. an after market head unit, 2 Jbl stealth speakers (behind the seats) and an Amp in the trunk.:dancer01:

So I'm wondering if I'm drawing to much power, and if so, can/should I upgrade the alternator?

TIA.:thumbsup:

~Ray

gmjunkie 08-30-2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ynkedad (Post 68408)
I've noticed recently that my battery gauge dips below 12 volts and sometimes even lower, while at a light or parked with the motor running.

(2)I've only noticed it happening when the A/C is running and the stereo is turned up a smidge above TOO LOUD:D.
(3)I have an after market stereo in the car which consists of.. an after market head unit, 2 Jbl stealth speakers (behind the seats) and an Amp in the trunk.:dancer01:

So I'm wondering if I'm drawing to much power, and if so, can/should I upgrade the alternator?

~Ray

I'm thinking that your alternator may be going bad!!:shrug01:

MRS. XTREME 08-30-2008 10:52 PM

Well

Quote:

Originally Posted by ynkedad (Post 68408)

~Ray

I would recommend a bigger alternator for sure !! :thumbsup::yesnod:

dvdcta 08-31-2008 01:29 AM

alt

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRS. XTREME (Post 68412)

got 105 amps went thru 2alts & 2 batts in less than 1 yr all advance!! got life time warranty on alts.

ynkedad 08-31-2008 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmjunkie (Post 68410)
I'm thinking that your alternator may be going bad!!:shrug01:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRS. XTREME (Post 68412)

:ahh::ahh::ahh:...Well, that figures!:toetap05:

RevXtreme 1 08-31-2008 10:26 AM

You can try our overdrive alt pulley (billet Alum) and if that does not do it our 240Amp alt for C5 & C6 vettes is $499 & is a direct swap.:thumbsup:

Rich Z 08-31-2008 11:59 AM

When I was having alternator problems, I did a lot of reading and seem to recall reading somewhere that it was not recommended to use a higher output alternator on the Corvette. Something about the PCM detecting an excessive current situation and getting upset about it or something. I believe the argument was that the PCM knew the max current the alternator SHOULD be able to provide, and anything over that amount was considered to be a fault condition.

So was that misinformation, or do I just remember it wrong?

ClockworkC5 08-31-2008 06:00 PM

i would consider using a capacitor or an audio system battery. whats killing your alternator is the constant power spikes created by the amp when the bass hits hard. a capacitor is wired in between the power source and the amp. all the capacitor is, is a second battery that absorbs the power spike preserving your alternator.

ynkedad 08-31-2008 07:58 PM

Thanks guys for the really good info!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

als2052 09-01-2008 03:04 PM

Ray, I noticed something similar for first time yesterday. While at light, gauge indicated 13 volts where it normally used to show 14. Don't know if that is a problem or not. 2005 with 23K miles on it, stock radio & battery...???