The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Maintenance, Mods, & Tips (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   [C3] Power steering too quick (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44017)

Kap142 03-30-2010 11:04 AM

Power steering too quick

Any of you ole street rodders ever found a way to slow down factory PS just a bit? I know you can accomplish it by lowering tire pressure a bit but that kinda sounds a bit half azz'd.

I seem to remember a valve (after market) that could be placed in one of the PS lines and adjusted to control quickness.

Can anyone help me out here?:shrug01:

72 Coupe
BB

gmjunkie 03-30-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kap142 (Post 111643)
Any of you ole street rodders ever found a way to slow down factory PS just a bit? I know you can accomplish it by lowering tire pressure a bit but that kinda sounds a bit half azz'd.

I seem to remember a valve (after market) that could be placed in one of the PS lines and adjusted to control quickness.

Can anyone help me out here?:shrug01:

72 Coupe
BB

If you have a printed read out of your alignment settings Ken,I can probly tell you what is needed to accomplish what you want!:thumbsup:

Kap142 03-30-2010 02:34 PM

Junk, I don't. Just put new rubbers on all four corners and alignment feels great. The only thing I feel is steering seems to quickin up as speed increases. What do you suggest?

72ragtop 03-30-2010 04:42 PM

Ken, refresh my memory. Did ur car come with power steering or did u add it?
I remember someone doing that.

Kap142 03-30-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72ragtop (Post 111658)
Ken, refresh my memory. Did ur car come with power steering or did u add it?
I remember someone doing that.

You remember well. I added PS identified as "same as original" from (I believe) Corvette Central. I have had the alignment done well after that install.

72ragtop 03-30-2010 04:53 PM

Ken,
On the steering knuckle there are 2 holes. Where the tie rod ends mount to knuckle.
When u changed over to pwr steering did u move the tie rod ends to front hole or leave in back hole. Back hole is for std steering, Front hole is for power steering. That will cause a diff in steering

gmjunkie 03-30-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72ragtop (Post 111661)
Ken,
On the steering knuckle there are 2 holes. Where the tie rod ends mount to knuckle.
When u changed over to pwr steering did u move the tie rod ends to front hole or leave in back hole. Back hole is for std steering, Front hole is for power steering. That will cause a diff in steering

:iagree::iagree::iagree:
Might need to add a little more pos caster and a bit more toe-in too!!:thumbsup:

Kap142 03-30-2010 05:59 PM

Ken I'm looking at section 9 diagram A2 of my AM. Are you talking about the part identified as "B"? If you are then no I did not move the tie rod forward. Sounds like something I've never heard of before.. OK now out and under Goldie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72ragtop (Post 111661)
Ken,

72ragtop 03-30-2010 06:06 PM

Yes that is diagram for std steering, tie rod in rear hole.
Go to UPC N40 Hydraulic Steering A3 same diagram but for Pwr steering. See how tie rod is in front hole.

Kap142 03-30-2010 06:17 PM

Well just durn. Tie rod is in the rear hole. You're pretty sharp brother. Was looking for a short project for tomorrow anyway.

Thanks guys. I'll let you know the quality of the results.:thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72ragtop (Post 111665)
Yes that is diagram for std steering, tie rod in rear hole.
Go to UPC N40 Hydraulic Steering A3 same diagram but for Pwr steering. See how tie rod is in front hole.