The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Maintenance, Mods, & Tips (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Ground problem? (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57740)

vetteguy61 04-08-2011 11:22 PM

Ground problem?

I may have a ground problem on my 2001 C5. Today while driving the check engine light came on followed by service traction control system followed by reduced engine power. Did a code check and had the following codes displayed.
10 PCM PO118, 28TCS C1278, 60 IPC B0251,BO RFC C2110,U1000,C1064. If it is a ground problem where do I start to check? Should I take it to the dealer and have them trace the problem. I have EFI Live tune so the computer can't be flashed. HELP!!!!!

Rich Z 04-09-2011 12:03 AM

Damn, Mike, still having problems? Can't the last place to touch your car help you out with this? Like maybe they simply messed up something in the electrical system?

In any event, maybe this thread on another site will be able to help you out....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...tion-long.html

vetteguy61 04-09-2011 09:16 AM

Thanks for the info Rich. My car is doing the same as was posted in that link.Intermiiient and when I shut it off for a few minutes it's fine. I'll check the 2 front chassis grounds in a few minutes to see what they look like. Hopefully I can take care of it here at home.

vetteguy61 04-14-2011 06:44 PM

Had my car at the dealer about the so called ground problem. They just called and said they can't find the problem. It is now time to get rid of it. Will be putting it up for sale next week.

navy2kcoupe 04-14-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetteguy61 (Post 135266)
I may have a ground problem on my 2001 C5. Today while driving the check engine light came on followed by service traction control system followed by reduced engine power. Did a code check and had the following codes displayed.
10 PCM PO118, 28TCS C1278, 60 IPC B0251,BO RFC C2110,U1000,C1064. If it is a ground problem where do I start to check? Should I take it to the dealer and have them trace the problem. I have EFI Live tune so the computer can't be flashed. HELP!!!!!

What shape is your battery in? A weak battery, or bad connections can drive you crazy in the C5 and C6.
Andy :wavey:

RevXtreme 1 04-14-2011 08:31 PM

The main ground points at the front of each frame rail are prone to corrosion but the ignition switch is a common culprit when the contacts burn over time. Both are not difficult fixes.

vetteguy61 04-14-2011 10:14 PM

The battery is 3 months old. Voltage reads 14 volts when running. After all the money I had to put into the car to get it running after being at xtreme motorsports I just can't put anymore into it. All indications are a ground problem but the dealer can't duplicate the problem so they don't know where to start. I'm just fed up with having problem after problem just like Rich is having. It's not safe to drive when I don't know when it's going to go into reduced engine power and just barely runs when it does. I don't want to put myself in a position that will cause an accident.

Rich Z 04-15-2011 01:21 AM

Yeah, Mike I do know what you mean. But perhaps just storing the car for a while instead of selling it out of frustration might be the best thing to do.

Relying on a dealership to troubleshoot something like that might not be the best thing to do. If it were me, I would try to find a shop that specializes in electrical problems and let them take a shot at it first.

Have you talked to the people who last laid hands on your car?

vetteguy61 04-15-2011 08:14 AM

I did talk to Brad in Pensacola last week. He said he never heard of that type of problem on a Vette. The 125 mile one way drive with this problem makes me very nervous about driving it that far. I have looked in PC for a shop that does electrical work and can't find any.I'm slowly running out of options on getting the problem corrected. I'm going to get my car from the dealer in an hour and see how it runs. The main problem is that I don't know when it's going to go into reduced power. There is no set interval on when it happens.Tried to explain that to the service advisor that there was no set pattern on when the problem occurs so it's pretty hard for them to duplicate.I would sure like to get it corrected so I can make the trip to Talladaga to run my 10 laps.Would hate to be driving around at 130 and have reduced engine power come on.
I'll make some calls when I get home and see if I can find someone who will take the time to find the cause of the problem.

Sub-Zero 04-15-2011 08:37 AM

When you clear the codes does the car go back to full power and if so how long before the codes come back?