View Single Post
Unread 01-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
We sure do spend a lot of $$$$ to generate traffic revenue don't we???
Kind of like a Zen riddle isn't it?

Except for the ultralights, we do the same thing up here.

Unmarked cars all over the damned place!

When I retired from the S.O. here, I was in charge of our traffic motor unit.

The key thing we stressed was high visibility! We didn't hide. Even when operating our (then) stationary radar or lazer units, we did so from a position of high visibility. If you didn't have your head stuffed completely up your arse, you could see us

If you want to reduce a problem, increase visability!

On almost any given summer day, you'll find a good number of our "motor units" sitting in unmarked cars, writing tickets at bruce b. downs and other major intersections. Put a marked unit at that same intersection, and watch compliance go UP and tickets go DOWN

An omnipresence of the police has always been and always will be, the most cost effective way of preventing crime and enforcing compliance (from a street level perspective).

With unmarked cars, sure you'll "catch" more violators, which will by it's very nature, increase revenues.

Unfortunately, the down side to unmarked cars is many people (obviously) don't see them. Especially the "true" unmarked vehicles such as the SUV's and sedans that blend into the surrounding crowd.

With a MARKED vehicle, more people see them which accomplishes a couple of things right off the bat:

1) compliance with traffic law.
2) Enforcement of Traffic law.

You probably won't write as many tickets, but you'll damned sure get more compliance. And that IS the goal, isn't it?

As well, MARKED cars are highly visible to the general public.
Therefore, when "patrolling" they're also having the effect of reducing crime through an "omnipresence."

It's the DAMN!! They're everywhere! approach that makes it happen.

As to the number of people that get away. I'm not surprised it's not higher.

Police chases for anything other than major (forcible) felonies, are pointless, dangerous to everyone from the officer to the innocent citizen (left out the suspect intentionally-I don't care what happens to them!), and generally uncalled for.
I am totally surprised by your comments. And of course you are right, I think. I understand your point that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure but on the other hand I feel like the bad guy, me included, needs to be caught.

This is just my opinion and based on nothing but my own thoughts but I feel like people obey the law for one of two reasons. It's either out of respect or out of fear. If you nail a guy enough times they will slow down. Again, just my opinion. If I'm on the streets in Palm Bay no way am I going nail it even just a little bit because I never know who is in that SUV.

Regarding the chases I am confused by my own thoughts. You are right but if we just let them get away then a lot more will be running. I respect your opinion especially with your background but I really don't know what to think. If more run, then more injuries are bound to happen. Right?
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote