View Single Post
Unread 02-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #98
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A TA View Post
It was a tough decision to put the full cage in the car. I really liked the way I had the interior set up. A simple bar allowing accepted harness mounting would have got me through tech for the events and classes the car can run in now, but as soon as I made it faster I would be required to add more safety equipment so I decided to just get it over with and do it once. I still need to install arm and leg restraints as well as a full door net. The only LSR I've been to since the cage was a non-sanctioned Milemarker-1 event and they really had no tech regulations. It's overkill for the NASA HPDE events I've been to.

The swing out door bars are used mostly on entry level drag race rollbar applications. Once you start building full cages for the faster classes in Land Speed Racing and open road racing they don't want to see them. Also the shoulder braces of the seats are bolted to the door bars. I had the swing out door bars in a car and never used them.

I'm flexible enough to climb in and out of the cage in the Firebird but I know sooner or later as I get older back or knee/hip issues will limit my ability to get in and out and something will need to be done. When the day comes I'll have to deal with it.
You did a fantastic job and it may end up being overkill for furture events but you got what you wanted. I also would like to commend you for documenting all of these changes for the benefit of others. And everyone else supported you during the build.

I posted some DIY on the Corvette Forum and added photos. The last one was how to change the PCM. Several guys picked apart my method of removing the connectors. I designed a lot of this stuff for military applications and now I've got these dumb azzes criticizing. I just quit doing it.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote