View Single Post
Unread 04-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough
Default S.E.A.L. back in town

A friend of mine, a kid I've known since he was about 16 or so? is back in town from the sandbox.

He and his wife and kids are here visiting his mom, doing the Disney thing and such. He asked to see me so I'm headed over there in about an hour.

This kid is amazing.

He was a black belt and junior instructor when I first met him and went on from there. He was actually one of my instructors back when my son and I were training together in TKD.

His brother is a former Marine Sniper. Left the Corp after Grenada (IIRC?), came back on the block, and well, just didn't adjust well to civillian life.

Joined the Army National Guard, completed Medic training and SF training and served with them for several years.

He left and entered the NAVY (just can't keep those tadpoles away from the water can we Andy?), applied to and was accepted to BUDS.

Eventuallyy became a trident wearing SEAL. and did several deployments to the box and ????
He's now a Chief, stationed in California.

His brother Nick, (the kid I'm going to see shortly), was the younger brother and couldn't make up his mind what he wanted to do?
He worked at the dojang (Karate school) for a while, got a job in the medical field, and went to school full time.
He continued through college and ended up with a computer science degree of some sort.
He worked in that field and applied to the FBI.
For whatever rediculous reason...was rejected???
What a bunch of idiots!

Now as long as I've known this kid, he's never really struck me as "military material."
As I said, always a good kid, smart, and willing to help, but not the overly aggressive type (except when we fought-boy was tough!). But he always had an aire of determination. Never gave up...I guess that was the determining factor?
He was always polite to everyone, good to the kids, quiet, just an allaround good kid. We became friends. He was like another son to me. I would answer questions when he had them and try to make sure he didn't screw up.

He was great with my son and an excellent instructor!

Well, the next thing I know, this knucklehead has joined the NAVY, completed boot with honors, and has been accepted to BUDS llike his brother

Now again, this has never been the skinny, wirey, hard body type you think of when you think of spec ops operators (no-for the uninitiated, the knuckledraggers generally don't do all that well in spec ops ).
He was more the shorter, semi pudgy kid that would be more likely to sit down to a bowl of ice cream or a burger and watch a movie....)

So what does he do?
He completes SEAL training and graduates WITH HONORS

He's already done a few tours in the sand and when his leave is over, goes back to Va and eventually, back to the big "A".

I'm really proud of this kid!!!
Even more proud that he thought enough of me to call when he got here and asked to see me.

Really looking forward to seeing him today.

Way to go Nick!!!

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote