View Single Post
Unread 05-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Response crews used a remotely operated underwater vehicle to dispense subsurface dispersant at a rate of 9 gallons per minute -- "with encouraging results so far," according to BP.

Nearly 3,000 gallons of subsea dispersants were applied. Meanwhile, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is evaluating the tests to determine the feasibility of continued use of subsea dispersants.

In total, more than 156,000 gallons of dispersant have been deployed; an additional 230,000 gallons are available.
Hmm, 5,000 gallons of crude per day coming up out of the hole equals 210,000 gallons PER DAY. That's about 146 gallons per minute being treated with only 9 gallons per minute of dispersant. Which one is going to win that battle?

Oh, and 210,000 gallons per day are coming out, and they only have an additional 230,000 gallons of dispersant available. Again, which one is going to win that battle.

How much dispersant is needed to effectively treat one gallon of crude oil?

I heard that the implementation of a second hole being drilled to block the flow could take three months (with good weather - we are going to be into hurricane season next month) to complete. By that time, there will have been nearly 20 MILLION gallons of crude out of that hole. And there are really no guarantees that even that will work. It could very well be that this whole in the earth below the Gulf of Mexico just might be spewing out crude oil until there just is not more to come out of there. Then everyone is going to be waiting tensely to see if there is another shoe dropped.

I think Connie and I will change our plans of going to the beach this summer and go to the mountains or out west. Now I've got to find out if that travelers insurance we got when we made reservations at Sanibel for the fall covers this sort of thing.

You know, just when we finally retire and can fully appreciate the beaches of Florida, I should have expected something like this would have happened. Now that we are talking about going out west instead, I expect that giant volcanic caldera surrounding Yellowstone will blow........

Damn Murphy...........