• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

New Member complaint

Not a post stirrer

Hey Bubba, I was just yanking Shadow's chain when I posted. I have also read Rich's post and I agree that you need to have all of your ducks in a row.

This is serious business and usually not allowed on a lot of forums but it definitely can help the members as far as getting work done on our cars. Now I need to get out of here before I get spanked. Oh dam-, I see him coming. :welcome:

Um... the BoI isn't viewable by non-members is it? If it is, perhaps just a first name and last initial might be best.

Rich obviously has the final say on how information is posted in the BOI.

Personally, I'd prefer some sort of confirmable identifier be forwarded privately to one of the mods or an admin so it could be validated, yet not published.

There are a lot of reasons for not wanting to post one's entire name on the internet. Fraud, ID theft, retribution, are all concerns nowdays.

But I do think there should be some way of validating a person's identity where it concerns a compaint that may damage a party's reputation or ability to earn a living.

JMHO

retribution, are all concerns nowdays.

But I do think there should be some way of validating a person's identity where it concerns a compaint that may damage a party's reputation or ability to earn a living.

JMHO

I haven't been on here that long but I have seen what I would consider to be some nut cases, in my opinion. I would be concerned with the retribution pat of your post. We can protect ourselves and our property but if someone is determined enough they will probably succeed.

Rich obviously has the final say on how information is posted in the BOI.

Personally, I'd prefer some sort of confirmable identifier be forwarded privately to one of the mods or an admin so it could be validated, yet not published.

There are a lot of reasons for not wanting to post one's entire name on the internet. Fraud, ID theft, retribution, are all concerns nowdays.

JMHO

There are varying opinions on how to do something like this, of course, but I will likely model this after the way I run the BOI forum on my main site -> http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

In my opinion, identification of the parties involved is pretty much necessary in order to establish credibility. Anyone can say absolutely anything they want if there is no verifiable ownership attached to the words they type. Which, of course, would more likely cause people posting to be less retrospective with the accuracy and truthfulness of what they are posting publicly.

As far as retribution is concerned, that weapon being used frivolously and/or maliciously can be a two edged sword. If someone posts what appears to be factual information that is non flattering to the business they dealt with, and that business files a frivolous defamation lawsuit against their former customer, what do you think potentially new customers are going to think about doing business with that place? That in itself would be extremely damaging to any business. As for the defendant in such a lawsuit, as long as they have their ducks lined up in a row and can PROVE what they have claimed, they WILL win the case. And after doing so, they can turn around and file a countersuit seeking damages for abuse of process and PROVABLE defamation of character and libel for the false statements that business claimed against them. Quite frankly, any business that has to resort to the threat of lawsuits in order to keep the truth from being exposed to the public is certainly not going to be around for very long.

Heck, I have had MORE than my share of threatened lawsuits just for maintaining that BOI forum mentioned above. The point of such threats was to attempt to scare me into deleting the thread about the person or business in order to destroy the evidence posted. However, I don't scare so easily, and have NEVER deleted any such evidence at all. There is substantial case history stemming from federal law that protects owners and staff of sites like this concerning such matters.

...As far as retribution is concerned, that weapon being used frivolously and/or maliciously can be a two edged sword. If someone posts what appears to be factual information that is non flattering to the business they dealt with, and that business files a frivolous defamation lawsuit against their former customer, what do you think potentially new customers are going to think about doing business with that place? That in itself would be extremely damaging to any business. As for the defendant in such a lawsuit, as long as they have their ducks lined up in a row and can PROVE what they have claimed, they WILL win the case. And after doing so, they can turn around and file a countersuit seeking damages for abuse of process and PROVABLE defamation of character and libel for the false statements that business claimed against them. Quite frankly, any business that has to resort to the threat of lawsuits in order to keep the truth from being exposed to the public is certainly not going to be around for very long...

That's assuming the information posted is in fact correct and not malicious.:thumbsup: The appearance of fact and fact, are worlds apart;)

But you're correct that a business that needs to use the threat of legal action to control the dissemination of truth based information, won't be around long...I wonder what we'll name the USA next?

Hell, you live in Florida. If someone physically attacks you in a place you have a right to be in, you can shoot the sob. -> http://www.gunlaws.com/FloridaCastleDoctrine.htm

:lmao::lmao:Hell yeah!:lmao::lmao:

Hell, you live in Florida. If someone physically attacks you in a place you have a right to be in, you can shoot the sob. -> http://www.gunlaws.com/FloridaCastleDoctrine.htm

I'm not criticizing Rich but everyone throws these laws around. We are very lucky not to live in areas like Wisconsin and Illinois just to name 2 of them but regardless we better have access to a really good attorney because stuff happens. Criminal and civil. Even though I have a permit to carry sometimes I think about not doing it anymore. A huge responsibility goes with the right to bear arms.

Also, as I posted previously, if someone wants you bad enough they'll probably get you.

I'm not criticizing Rich but everyone throws these laws around. We are very lucky not to live in areas like Wisconsin and Illinois just to name 2 of them but regardless we better have access to a really good attorney because stuff happens. Criminal and civil. Even though I have a permit to carry sometimes I think about not doing it anymore. A huge responsibility goes with the right to bear arms.

Also, as I posted previously, if someone wants you bad enough they'll probably get you.

I think all things considered, I would much rather wind up in court then to wind up in a grave prematurely....

Correct. Just use your head. Just because a person is permitted to carry a weapon doesn't mean they have to use it. Common sense goes a long way. Many variables come into play with every situation and not every situation is the same. It's the "Cowboys" that scare me....those that are armed and looking for trouble to begin with.

Hi Bob, yeah I can understand what your saying about packing...However, there is another old saying and I quote "I RATHER BE TRIED BY 12 THEN CARRIED OUT BY 6"...:hehehe:

Correct. Just use your head. Just because a person is permitted to carry a weapon doesn't mean they have to use it. Common sense goes a long way. Many variables come into play with every situation and not every situation is the same. It's the "Cowboys" that scare me....those that are armed and looking for trouble to begin with.

I could tell you stories. :ack2: The first class I ever attended had two guys that didn't know the barrel from the grip. They didn't even have time to spend at the range. I think they went and shot 6/12 rounds a piece. They left and were NRA certified. Scary deal.

Even those with training; ask them under what circumstances can they draw their weapon. They won't know. And then like you said, ya got the cowboys out there. Some people just don't think cause they know it all.

Hi Bob, yeah I can understand what your saying about packing...However, there is another old saying and I quote "I RATHER BE TRIED BY 12 THEN CARRIED OUT BY 6"...:hehehe:

That might depend on your age. :D

I think all things considered, I would much rather wind up in court then to wind up in a grave prematurely....

Exactly!:thumbsup:

I think I agree. I'm still carrying. :D

Good idea:thumbsup:

Amen:thumbsup:

Can I get another Amen up in heya!:thumbsup:

Sorry, but I forgot to add I had expected Shadow to add some words of wisdom. He must have decided to work for a change. :lmao:

well you're right. I've been working since about 4 am, dealing with my crazy assed daughter and her worthless POS fiance' and her trailer traah best girlfriend (nothing against trailers mind you...just an expression) and I just rolled in and thought, WTF...maybe I'll check the website before I doan other oh, 4-6 hours of paperwork:toetap05::toetap05:

But, since you've been waiting, I'll oblidge.

Here's two.....Feck you!

Now, hows that work for ya????lmao::lmao:

Exactly!:thumbsup:

Good idea:thumbsup:

Amen:thumbsup:

Can I get another Amen up in heya!:thumbsup:

well you're right. I've been working since about 4 am, dealing with my crazy assed daughter and her worthless POS fiance' and her trailer traah best girlfriend (nothing against trailers mind you...just an expression) and I just rolled in and thought, WTF...maybe I'll check the website before I doan other oh, 4-6 hours of paperwork:toetap05::toetap05:

But, since you've been waiting, I'll oblidge.

Here's two.....Feck you!

Now, hows that work for ya????lmao::lmao:

That's good for a laugh. Go get some sleep and don't worry about what you have no control over. :thumbsup:

Back