View Single Post
Unread 04-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #1509
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Been ending emails back and forth with Ben Brownie at STS about my turbo system. I explained what I did with the wiring and he says that will work fine.

As for the wastegate situation, well, that isn't so fine. He says the plugged rear vent ports will push the turbos into an overboost situation. Meaning they will reach a higher boost than the springs in the wastegates are designed to allow before opening. He asked me to open up the wastegates and photograph the springs as they are supposed to be color coded and that will tell him what they are rated at and possibly tell us what sort of boost those plugged ports will really push the turbos to. Aaron told me that he put 10 lb springs in the wastegates but the boost was more like 8.5 lbs on the boost gauge. He said losses in the system caused the reduction, and I had asked him to put in springs that would give me a real 10 lbs at the intake, but I guess he didn't want to do that.

Anyway, I guess I'm glad I don't have stronger springs in those wastegates. The bolts holding the backplate on literally popped out in some instances from the spring tension. Had to scramble to find them all. And I was surprised at how simple of a mechanism a wastegate really is. Pretty much just like the fuel pressure regulator in design. If you've never seen the inside of a wastegate before (this is the first time I've ever seen it myself), well here's some pics.

First off Ben wanted to see what the vacuum connections looked like to make certain that were OK. I told him I traced the line at the T back to the back of the intake manifold near the MAP sensor.

So here's the springs when I pulled them out:

The spring from the original wastegate is on the left, and the one from the new wastegate that Aaron installed for me to put a wastegate on each exhaust side is on the right. I was surprised that the spring on the left was apparently so much more *used* looking than the one on the right. Maybe one side is activated more than the other?

One thing that did disturb me was that when I took apart the older wastegate, the rubber seal inside was screwed up in that it apparently got caught inbetween the base and the cap when it was tightened down. I didn't see any breaks in it, but I hope I don't have to now replace the darn thing. I guess Aaron was a bit careless when replacing that spring in that side. I know if I ask STS about this they will say DEFINITELY that the wastegate needs to be replaced. But I'm going to see if I can find a new seal somewhere instead. It does seem to be bouncing back into shape since I uncrimped it and smoothed it out with my finger, though, so maybe it will be ok.

Anyway, here's a few more pics I took of the insides of the wastegates if anyone is interested in seeing them.