View Single Post
Unread 01-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #14
Hameister

Name :
Hameister has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
.....Rich, they don't want you to change the spark plugs. They want you to bring it to the dealer so they can change them for you....there are just not many "car guys" out there anymore. No replacements for us old guys....Times have changed....
I couldn't agree more. When I was in my teens and early 20s, every guy I knew was into cars. At 17 my first car was an old '51 Plymouth Belvedere flat head six, then a 57 Olds J2, then a '61 Impala 283, and finally a 1970 GTX 440+6. After those cars I became civilized, with family, and children, work, etc.

Everyone rebuilt their own carbs, changed manifolds themselves, installed Hurst shifters, did their own maintenance, etc. Within my circle of friends, owning a Corvette was an unattainable dream. Today the average young guy is more interested in texting on his cell phone, and checking his Facebook page every 6 minutes.

There was never a time in my life, that I didn't see a 'vette, and think to myself,..."some day, some day". Finally, at age 69, I ordered, and am waiting to take delivery of my life long dream. Members of my family, and neighbors, think I'm going through some kind of mid-life crisis, but not my friends, they understand, and two of them, already own a Corvette.

I attended the "SuperCar Show" in West Palm Beach, just last Sunday, the 13th. I should not have been so surprised, when I found that literally every guy I met with a Corvette, or muscle car, and every member of the local Corvette club was in their late 50s to mid 70s. I guess it takes most of us a long time before owning a 'vette is both feasible, and affordable.

Things sure have changed over the years. I don't know how long I'll be able to keep my Corvette before age, or financial issues arise. However, even if I have to sell it 6 months from now, I'll have the photos, and the memories, and I'll be able to say, "I did it, I owned a Corvette".

I won't say I'm old, but I will admit to waiting 53 years for my first Corvette!
Hameister is offline   Reply With Quote