View Single Post
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Arghhh. Well, that didn't go as well has I had planned.

I let the clear touch up paint globs set for three hours, then went over to try that Langka stuff on them. It actually was going pretty quickly, as that stuff really dissolves those blobs in a hurry. Well, my technique just sucked. I was being too aggressive with applying the cloth wrapped around the plastic card and I wound up not only taking the clear completely out of some of the chips, but the blue Dr. Colorchip paint as well. Apparently you have to use a VERY light touch just letting the Langka fluid do the work, and you just move it around over the blob till it dissolves. Keep the cloth tight on the card, but just barely touch the surface of the paint and only work on one chip at a time. I had to put my view at an angle so that I could clearly see the blob in the glare from the lights. The trick is knowing when to STOP. As soon as the blob is pretty much gone, stop with the Langka and then wipe the area clean with another soft cloth to clean off the residue and also pretty much finish reducing the blob to be flush with the surface.

Too bad it took me most of the hood to figure this out.

So I've got to go back and put the Dr. Colorchip color back into those chips I made white again. And I'm thinking maybe I need to lighten up my touch with the Dr. Colorship blending solution as well. Maybe even use the plastic card like it is recommended with the Langka product. Keep a flat level surface against the paint and it might retain more of the color paint in those chips.

And I may just allow the clear paint to set for a full 24 hours so maybe it won't come out of the chip indents quite so easily.

Light touch and knowing when to STOP seems to be the key with working with this stuff. I think perhaps even stopping too soon might be preferable to stopping too late. I'm planning on going over the entire area with 2000 to 4000 grit sand paper anyway, and then polishing with compound afterwards. That certainly would take off any extra paint globs that remained without having to do the color step over again.

Oh well, I knew this was going to be a learning experience.