View Single Post
Unread 03-13-2013, 01:35 AM   #10
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I did the Dr. Colorchip thing again today to fix those rock chips that had the color pulled out of them by the Langka product. Obviously the Langka blob eliminator is a whole lot more aggressive than the Dr. Colorchip blending solution is. You've really got to work with the Dr. Colorchip solution whereas the Langka starts removing the paint blob almost immediately.

Supposedly the two are not interchangeable in application, though. I know the Langka will remove the Dr. Colorchip paint, but I haven't tried to see if the Dr. Colorchip will remove regular touch up paint. According to Dr. Colorchip's website, the touch up paint they use is special for the application using the blending solution, and the blending solution won't work with regular touch up paint. But I may try it anyway, just to see.

This time I changed my technique with the Dr. Colorchip blending solution. Instead of just putting the blending solution on a rag held loosely in my hand and rubbing off the excess paint in broad areas, I use a plastic card wrapped in a cloth similar to what Langka recommends. I also concentrated on much smaller areas than before. Seems like this left the paint chips looking better than my first try. I took it real slow and easy, and just removed the paint to the point to where it was nearly gone and didn't go an further with it.

Tomorrow I'm going to put clear on only the worst of the rock chip pits and be a LOT more careful about applying the Langka blob eliminator so I don't cause any collateral damage with the surrounding minor chips. I'm also going to let the clear paint set for a full 24 hours before I apply the blob eliminator fluid. I REALLY don't want to have to apply the color into those chips again. I'd much rather do 10 things the first time than 1 thing OVER AGAIN.

I don't think anything is going to color over those cracks I sanded down. They probably need to be BELOW the level of the surface of the paint in order for the touch up paint to hide them, but I'm not really willing to gouge into the paint, tracing the cracks, in order to do that. So I'll just have to see how that looks when I get done the entire hood to figure out whether a new paint job needs to be sooner rather than later. If it's sooner, then I may quit with the paint touch up completely, since it won't really matter much to keep working at it. I think I got enough experience just with the hood with this touch up stuff and don't need to do any more of the same drudgery. With the number of rock chips I've got, this is TEDIOUS, to say the least. Leaning over the hood is a real killer on the back.

BTW, if you do get the Dr. Colorchip kit, get the smallest one they have available. I got the largest kit they offer and have done a ZILLION rock chips, most of them twice, and still have half a bottle of paint left. The blending solution didn't go as far, but I think that's because I was far too liberal and aggressive with it the first time I used it. A small amount will go a lot longer than I tried to make it go.