Thread: Go Pro Hero3
View Single Post
Unread 06-07-2015, 11:49 PM   #22
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Looks like a cool little gadget if it actually hits the market.

Actually I have seen quite a few "concept" quadcopters being offered for "presale". But honestly, there is a whole lot of salesmanship hype attached to this stuff to consider buying something until it's actually hit the marketplace and actual purchasers post REAL reviews and REAL video from them. I was looking hard at a product from a company called Yuneec that sounded good on paper, but come to find out that their supposed 1080P video was nothing more than 720P upscaled by the quad's processor. So it had some terrible aliasing artifacts. The company has been talking about a 4K version, but I'm betting it will only be upscaled 4K. But at least the 1080P will likely be decent then.

There is a new unit about to hit the market from 3DRobotics called the Solo that looks pretty darn interesting. And DJI just introduced a new model of their Phantom line.

Still hearing rumors that GoPro is developing their own quadcopter, but haven't seen anything concrete about that one yet.

This field is still very young, and the pioneer buyers are pretty apt to have a bunch of arrows sticking out of their backs by buying in too soon. A lot of products are going to be sold way before they are actually ready for prime time. I would have REALLY liked to have had a capable unit in my hands by the first of this month, but that just did not happen.

Oh, and as for that GoPro Hero4 Black I bought, so far I'm pretty impressed with this little critter. Seems to do a real good job with everything I've been trying with it, so far. Time lapse seems to work real well, and right now I'm playing around with something they call "night lapse" to see how that works. Honestly I'm glad I got that touch screen back pac for it, as I can't see that it would be very useful to me without it.