View Single Post
Unread 04-27-2018, 08:30 PM   #2253
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
That your noise issue has gotten so bad. How many miles have you put on it since you got it "drivable"? I know it's been a while but I didn't think you drove it much.
Beats me, but you are right, it wasn't much. I think I only put 600 miles on the car last year. How many years has it been since I had the torque tube and clutch replaced? Maybe 3,000 miles all total?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Does your drive shaft have u joints or CV joints?
Neither. They actually call the drive shaft a "drive propeller". It is a one piece shaft contained within the torque tube that only has shock absorbing couplers that go between the propeller shaft and the rest of the drivetrain. One fore and one aft, if I remember correctly.

I had the entire torque tube replaced when it was at the local Chevy dealership. I had the TT couplers replaced with new ones, since it was a used torque tube assembly, but did not have the TT bearings replaced. They are a possible source of the drivetrain noise, of course.

I'm sure I have pics somewhere in this thread of the torque tube. When the car was at Chris Harwood's place, he put a Pfadt carbon fiber drive shaft in for me. Unfortunately, Pfadt sent him a shaft that was 7mm too long for the application, and caused all sorts of damage. Which is why Shane at the Chevy dealership had to replace so many components in the drivetrain. I'm thinking it may be possible that the input shaft bearing in the transmission may have gotten damaged too, when the driveshaft was flopping around in the torque tube. But that is something Greg would likely be able to determine for me.

One other reason I don't want to do this job myself is because I really don't know what the problem is, and am damn afraid I would have to just replace SOMETHING, and put it back together again to see if the noise went away. And if it didn't? Hell, take it apart and replace something else. Thanks, but NO thanks. I would rather have an expert who knows what he is doing do this job for me.