View Single Post
Unread 05-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #6
davekp

Name :
davekp has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Hmm, seems I read somewhere that people with 97-03s were using the 04s. Guess that info was wrong.....

I guess maybe I need to put in a 160 myself just to see what happens. I still believe that the thermostat only controls when it opens up to allow full cooling flow and has nothing at all to do with the operating temperature of the motor. The 160 degree thermostat does not allow MORE coolant flow than a 180 degree one does. The 160 only opens up sooner than the 180 when the motor is warming up. Up till the coolant temp reaches 160 degrees (more or less) the thermostat is CLOSED, allowing the coolant within the motor to come up to operating temperature quickly. With the 180, the coolant temps within the motor need to reach 180 degrees (more or less) before IT opens up.

But I have heard so much conflicting info from people that it is pretty tough to figure out what is going on.
Not exactly.
First off, a "160" stat does not open at 160. It begins to open at some slightly higher temp and opens over a range of about 15 degrees.
The C-5 and C-6 cooling systems have the capacity to maintain a steady state engine temp below 180 degrees AT CRUISE. The thermostat modulates to maintain it's temperature.
A 160 stat will maintain about 180 AT CRUISE.
A stock stat, Call it 186 or 195, whichever you prefer, will maintain about 196 AT CRUISE.
If someone made a "140" stat I'd guess you could maintain a cruise temp below 175, whatever the limits of the cooling system are.
IN TRAFFIC, the temps will go higher, depending on fan settings. Remember also that in traffic we typically Idle so COOLANT flow is less than at cruise.
As far as early/later model stat interchangeability goes, I know the early model will not go into the later model water pump housing. I have not tried putting the later model into the early pomp housing, but it looks like it will not go. Even if it does, you'll need to buy a late model stat housing to go with the later model stat, and the cost will put you in the range of a "correct" early model stat.
davekp is offline   Reply With Quote