View Single Post
Unread 06-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #14
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Are the cable companies subject to something like the Public Service Commission? They had to bid on the monopoly for each area, so there must be some sort of oversight. When I had Comcast dragging their feet about getting internet service at my place (I had the TV part for years prior to that), I finally had to talk to the manager I had been wrangling with and asked about this oversight to their business here. I pointed out that they did have a monopoly and I had no other choice in going to a competing company to get what I wanted. So I wanted to speak to this oversight committee about their lack of service to a captive market.

The next day she called me back and said the internet service was now available for me to have installed.....

She never did give me a number about who to call, however, concerning legal oversight responsibilities, and I didn't press it at that point.

Those companies ARE answerable to someone. Their having a monopoly comes with some responsibilities and liabilities. At the very least, contact your local legislative representative about their failings to meet your needs.